Menu

Sparkpeople - can I track my own food...

and not use their meal plans? I thought about rejoining weight watchers, online this time, but wanted to know if I could use sparkpeople in the same manner. I don't necessarily want to track WW points, but I do want to keep track of calories, fat from calories, fiber. My cholesterol and triglycerides are fairly high and I need to lose some weight per my doctor.

Yes, you can do it. It may take a tiny bit of time to get used to doing it, but it's not difficult at all. You do it from the same area where the meal plans are listed. I have mine set to suggest a meal plan, because I like looking over the suggestions and using them occasionally, but then there's a place to click and put in your own food instead. That's what I usually do.

Um, I don't use Sparkpeople. However, I have used a free online site called "Fat Secret". You can track your food intake, calories burned, fat, cholesteral, fiber, WW points, etc. It has a large data base of foods, so you don't have to input each field.

I really love it (when I use it).

http://www.fatsecret.com/

i'm coming up on my 3rd Sparkpeople anniversary. yes, you can use the option not to show their meal suggestions and track your own food. there is a large database of foods and you can also search foods entered by other members. if what you're eating is not in either of those databases, you can enter the nutritional info and save it in your favorites.

btw, i find that using a kitchen scale and using grams for measurement gives me the most flexibility when entering portion sizes.

Enjoy your Sparkpeople journey!