Menu

Workboxes for older kids?

dsacco

My son is 12 - so I was wondering how it works for older kids? I am thinking of doing it for my daughter and I will need to buy the book to figure this out and how it works. But more and more as I look at the workbooks from Seton and such (ds's stuff comes in today) it might be easier to put each book in a box for them to do the work....

But is it too "small kid" oriented for the bigger "thinks he's mature" kids??

I plan to begin using this in August with my 15yo.:001_smile:

He is using WP QMA, WP HB&F, LLftLotR, TT PreCalc, the second half of Conceptual Physics, Spanish, and some Ambleside and Teaching Company additions. He was going to have 4-5 paper schedules that made next year look overwelmingly more complicated than it actually is. I think that the workboxes will allow him to continue working independently without toting around lots of paper.

He has 12 boxes but 15 numbers, so some boxes have two laminated numbers on the outside. Also, my 6yo will be a QMA tagalong, so one of the little man's boxes will contain the few books used for their together time. Here are his boxes moving from left to right, top to bottom.

Box 1 with number 1

1. Commonplace Book (5x/week);

And to be used in this order on days 1-4:

English Lit for Boys and Girls by H.E. Marshal (1x/week); Bullfinch's Mythology: The Age of Chivalry (1x/week); Ourselves Book 1 by Charlotte Mason (1x/week); Asimov's Chronology of the World (1x/week)

Box 2 with numbers 2 and 3

2. ACT Math Drill- just a few problems (4x/week)

3. Conceptual Physics (4x/week)

In the little man's Box 2 This box will sport both the little guy's green 2 and the middle ds's blue number 4

4. QMA materials shared with the little man (4x/week)

Box 3 with number 5

5. Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (5x/week)

Box 4 with number 6

6. QMA Independent Study- Early Church History (4x/week)

Box 5 with number 7

7. Teaching Textbooks Pre-Calc (5x/week)

Box 6 with number 8

8. WP HB&F (4x/week)

Box 7 with number 9

9. To be used in this order on days 1-4:

Teaching Company's Great Artist's of the Italian Renaissance (1x/week); Teaching Company's Anatomy & Physiology (1x/week); K'Nex Roller Coaster Physics (1x/week); Teaching Company's Foundations of Western Civ (1x/week)

Box 8 with numbers 10 and 11

10. Jensen's Grammar (4x/week)

11. Spanish (4x/week)

Box 9 with number 12

12. Nature Notebook and guides (4x/week)

Box 10 with number 13

13. To be used in this order on days 1-4:

Memory/ Copywork (1x/week); Picture Study on Artist from day 1's Teaching Company Lecture with oral narration (1x/week); The Royal Road to Romance begin chapter (1x/week); The Royal Road to Romance finish chapter and complete drawn narration (1x/week)

Box 11 with number 14

14. WP QMA- History and Geography selections from independent studies

Box 12 with number 15

15. Additional Literature

Most of his boxes will stay the same all year as this is where we will store it all. A few items simply must be changed out, because there isn't enough room in the box. He will change out his Teaching Company Lectures, K'Nex, nature guides, QMA independent study projects, and readers when needed. I will change out his ACT math drill weekly.

Days 1-4 he will complete every number. On day 5 he will share his Commonplace Book and complete numbers 5, 7, 15. Since we will also be using these boxes as permanent storage, I have a laminated schedule that will serve as a guide regarding what to complete in each box on each day.

He will not be emptying out the boxes. Instead he will pull the number off the box when he returns the completed book to it. So, at the end of the day all the numbers should be in a little basket on top of the workboxes. He doesn't need the visual reward of empty boxes and I don't need the mess of putting everything away.

HTH-

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN

I wanted to add that I didn't like the idea of shoe boxes, because they are not wide enough for binders, workbooks, etc. to lay flat. I bought four 3-drawer sterilite medium carts for $11 each at Wal-Mart, so they are comparable in cost to the shoe rack with clear shoe boxes. On the outside each 3 drawer cart measures 14.5''L x 12.5''W x 24''H. On the inside the drawers are 6.75" deep and are just wide enough for a cheap 1"-3 ring binder to lay flat.

HTH-

Mandy

So funny...I just heard about workboxes yesterday and spent a good amount of time reading blogs on the subject. I am VERY excited to implement this in our home!!

My plan with my oldest is to just put each subject/activity in its own workbox...same as you would with littles. For example, he'll have one workbox with his current read, a timer, and his reading log. (He would read all day if I'd let him and not get another thing accomplished so I have to limit him during the day until all other school work is completed) Another box will have his math work and a note to do this with me. Another will have a fun activity like a word puzzle, mind benders activity, some computer time, etc.

I think this will help BOTH of us (my adhd child and his add mom) be more organized and get more finished.

As excited as I am to start this for him, I am super excited to start this with my littles. I am already planning all the fun activities my k'ner and pk'ner will do. Plus I'm going to do this with my 15 month old...toys, puzzles, and books in his to make sure he gets good Mama time too!!

We aren't going to use shoeboxes though....48 shoe boxes in this little house!! YIKES! lol We're going to use magazine holders. I found a steal of a deal on Ebay. Fifty for around $50 including shipping.

I like the magazine box idea - I might even have some of those....

Thanks for sharing that you would use it with someone older... I keep thinking "crafts" and such when I hear this which is FINE for my 9 year old.... but 12 and doing some high school.... he might think "too little".... but looking at his stuff he might want something like this to stay more focused.

I'm glad to hear others are using or considering workboxes with olders. I'm also thinking of using this with my 11yo ds. He really needs help keeping his stuff organized and I'm hoping this will help. I saw on another thread about using a hanging magazine-rack-type-of-thing from Office Max (?) which I think will work for us. Now off to purchase and figure out what all the slots will hold.

Cinder

I am using the workbox concept (no boxes) modified for my dd7. I have found that the system works very well as a way for ME to organize things. It keeps ME on task as well as her. I would assume that this would help a student of any age. It can be modified as needed. You could even use file folders. It is really just a visual checklist with all the supplies ready to go (which is the real benefit.)

Paula

12 & 10 yo's here! I started using it this spring & it really helped my kids keep better organized (and not lose their books etc... which didn't happen too often, but they do wander off with their readers, LOL!). Now that they have to go back and get the next item each time, they don't leave stuff out!

Here's pictures of our workboxes--I use drawers that I got at Staples & reconfigured (they come in 6-drawer towers). My kids liked the system & we'll continue next fall.

BTW, the author says it's even MORE important for teens. Interesting perspective.

Merry :-)

Here's pictures of our workboxes--I use drawers that I got at Staples & reconfigured (they come in 6-drawer towers). My kids liked the system & we'll continue next fall.

Oh my, Merry.. This is wonderful. I hope you don't mind, I am totally stealing all of your ideas! How did you reconfigure the 6-drawer tower into an 8-drawer tower? I understand that the bottom drawer was probably larger and you replaced it with 2 drawers (correct?). How easy was that to do?

I'm going shopping for drawers tomorrow!! This is so exciting for me because my daughter has executive dysfunction/ADHD/working memory deficits and she lives in total chaos. Drives me nuts!

I don't think my DD really needs it, but I think it's going to be of great benefit to my DS. He's very visual, so the work disappearing throughout the day keeps him motivated. It also helps ensure that we get around to the "fun" stuff that usually gets dropped. I filled boxes with games, like Set and Rush Hour. I'll have more things to break up the day in the fall.

I'm using the boxes. I don't think we would get the same impact from using envelopes, and I don't think the slight bending of some of the books (most fit right into the box) is a big deal.

We have been doing something similar. Each child had their own bookshelf with everything that they need on it. But, I found they had a hard time finding stuff sometimes. I bought t the book and decided to try this and we will do the cart.

They wheel it over to their desk in the morning and they really love them!

Why is this?

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Early on she says it will help them stay on track, and then later in the book she details:

"Using the Workbox System for High Schoolers

will make teaching them and inspecting their

work all the easier. Sometimes a High School

parent’s initial reaction to the Workbox System is

that it seems too immature for a High Schooler.

But with all the competition that High Schoolers

have for their time and focus, the Workbox System

is just what they need."

I can see her point, teens are pulled in many directions. And even with a schedule, I found it was easier to skip things than it was with the workboxes--it's just more concrete & made both me and my children think through it more.

Oh my, Merry.. This is wonderful. I hope you don't mind, I am totally stealing all of your ideas! How did you reconfigure the 6-drawer tower into an 8-drawer tower? I understand that the bottom drawer was probably larger and you replaced it with 2 drawers (correct?). How easy was that to do?

I'm going shopping for drawers tomorrow!! This is so exciting for me because my daughter has executive dysfunction/ADHD/working memory deficits and she lives in total chaos. Drives me nuts!

I got the ones at staples & all of the drawers were the same size. Only the top one is different (with the sorter on top), so that one has to be on top. There was a little tab to push in & the drawers came right apart. So it was easy to move them around. I kept the 3rd top and another drawer as a 2-drawer set for my desk.

Early on she says it will help them stay on track, and then later in the book she details:

"Using the Workbox System for High Schoolers

will make teaching them and inspecting their

work all the easier. Sometimes a High School

parentĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s initial reaction to the Workbox System is

that it seems too immature for a High Schooler.

But with all the competition that High Schoolers

have for their time and focus, the Workbox System

is just what they need."

I can see her point, teens are pulled in many directions. And even with a schedule, I found it was easier to skip things than it was with the workboxes--it's just more concrete & made both me and my children think through it more.

My sons organizational skills are horrible. I can't even find the assignments he has completed!! :confused: I am so new to hs we both need something to keep us in line and binders are not working. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I do not own the book!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m very interested in using workboxes with my high schooler. He has a learning disability and is dependent on me to do almost any work. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve read somewhere that this workbox system works well with high schoolers. Do you think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s necessary to buy the book? How much of the book is dedicated to talking about kids in high school? I don't really need ideas of what to put in the boxes, but am wondering if there are a lot of other ideas for older kids that I wouldn't have thought about.

We have been doing something similar. Each child had their own bookshelf with everything that they need on it. But, I found they had a hard time finding stuff sometimes. I bought t the book and decided to try this and we will do the cart.

They will wheel it over to their desk in the morning

Okay, we got the cart and returned it:glare:. It didn't match the rest of the room and took up way to much space, I cant imagine navigating through three of them. It turned into bumper cars rather quickly, I decided to keep it simple.

~Each child has a large shelf on the already existing bookshelf.

~Each subject is in these

~Planners (they fill it out) and lose papers will go on this

~They will mark off planners as they finish their work

Done!

I think we're going to go with these: http://www.amazon.com/4%252dShelf-Organizer-Cube-%252d-White/dp/B000F4ILIE/ref=pd_sbs_op_2

Once we have them (you can get them at Target), maybe start looking for wicker baskets to go in each spot (or maybe just use them as is, haven't decided yet).

I like the look of these better than plastic, though.

Oh, I like those.

Okay, we got the cart and returned it:glare:. It didn't match the rest of the room and took up way to much space, I cant imagine navigating through three of them. It turned into bumper cars rather quickly, I decided to keep it simple.

~Each child has a large shelf on the already existing bookshelf.

~Each subject is in these

~Planners (they fill it out) and lose papers will go on this

~They will mark off planners as they finish their work

Done!

Fay,

What planners are your kids using? So, you expec tthem to fill in their work done in the planner? Do they have a worksheet for today's work or do you fill out their workboxes daily?

have not read all the replies - so this may have already been mentioned - but I thought of one idea that maintains the important aspects of a clear container and the ability to remove the containers and watch the work disappear - use clear plastic magazine files - the kind that stand up on a shelf. Textbooks and papers will fit intside, along with bulkier items if needed, and you can still follow the principles of the system.

have not read all the replies - so this may have already been mentioned - but I thought of one idea that maintains the important aspects of a clear container and the ability to remove the containers and watch the work disappear - use clear plastic magazine files - the kind that stand up on a shelf. Textbooks and papers will fit intside, along with bulkier items if needed, and you can still follow the principles of the system.

But, where do you find these?

well, the author designed the system because she has an autistic child, so she has a whole chapter that talks about dealing with kids and learning disabilites - and how this system is especially helpful in enabling them to become more independent in their work. She does not spend a lot of time talking about highschoolers specifically, but she does give some great ideas that translate to any age.

Fay,

What planners are your kids using? So, you expec tthem to fill in their work done in the planner? Do they have a worksheet for today's work or do you fill out their workboxes daily?

We use these They fill in their work, sometimes after their finished. For example my dd will finish her 40 minutes of math and then write:

Watched DVD 25 minutes, pg.37+38 odd only

For subjects I teach, each child is given 1 hour rotation with mom. So from 7:30-8:30 I am with my youngest, then from 8:30-9:30 I am with my middle child, and from 8:30-9:30 I am with my oldest. During this time, I may teach the English, do spelling, and answer any question they have on the math. That sets them up to work alone while I am with the other child.

I only fill out my younger's work-box. The older two have their subjects separated and are able to do the next thing.

My sons organizational skills are horrible. I can't even find the assignments he has completed!! :confused: I am so new to hs we both need something to keep us in line and binders are not working. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I do not own the book!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Well, you can look at the pics in my signature for some ideas on boxes that don't look "young." Do you have a box or tray for completed work to go in? That alone might be a step in the right direction if you don't already have a place for work to be turned in.

We took the workbox idea and changed it to fit our needs.

Each boy has a manila folder with 8 library pockets glued inside. Each pocket is for a specific subject. In each pocket there are five index cards: Monday - Friday. Once a week we go through and fill out the cards for each subject. The folders slip inside a three-ring binder containing notebook paper, etc, along with dividers for non-CLE subjects. CLE lightunits have 3-hole punched folders.

This way, everything is portable as well as organized.

We love the workbox system and my ds is 12, soon to be 13. My friend has a 14yo (almost 15!) and two other kids. She got me hooked because I thought it was a silly idea at first. In addition to assignments, she schedules PE and chores in her boxes.

My 12yo ds has been an independent learner for awhile, however struggled with motivation to actually do his work. With the workbox system, he is eager to run downstairs to see what he gets to do for the day. Strange, since it is the EXACT same assignments as before, but with fun stuff & extras tossed in because we have the time to do them now. lol

We have breaks set in place, for example, after box 1, 2, and 3, he gets a 10 minute "recess" and each day the order is different, for variety. One day I put in the watering can in one of his assignment boxes to remind him to water the plants. He laughed and loved that assignment.

Sue Patrick's book is very good, so if you have the money to buy it, I would suggest picking it up just because there are other nuggets of information other than just the box system... such as "learning stations." oooo.

As far as where to buy clear magazine holders, Office Depot sells them in packs of 3 or 4. They also have cardboard ones. My friend just cut used USPS priority boxes in half for her three kids. We use one of his old toy bin holders I bought from Target years ago.

It might not work for everyone, but it works for us. :D

Edited by jadedone80

We love the workbox system and my ds is 12, soon to be 13. My friend has a 14yo (almost 15!) and two other kids. She got me hooked because I thought it was a silly idea at first. In addition to assignments, she schedules PE and chores in her boxes.

Thanks for sharing the details of how this works for your older child. Your post was very helpful to me!

• 1 year later...
I like the magazine box idea - I might even have some of those....

Thanks for sharing that you would use it with someone older... I keep thinking "crafts" and such when I hear this which is FINE for my 9 year old.... but 12 and doing some high school.... he might think "too little".... but looking at his stuff he might want something like this to stay more focused.

We tried magazine boxes, and we struggled with it. Some workbooks were just too tight, and we found them to be tippy.

We are using a cart for dd6. Like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XrJZ7y3gAcc/TAbdie6nbHI/AAAAAAAAAWM/hBe9pyC1IvQ/s1600/IMG_6014.JPG

But all grey, not multi color. She doesn't know the colors are there..lol

DD11 is getting something different. We are using the trofast containers from Ikea in a custom Unit dh is building in her room.

I'm not sure what we are using for dd13 yet. I am gleaning ideas. I was going to use sterilite containers with snapshut lids but I can see it being tedious to load. Since I didn't care for the magazine racks, since workbooks or text books didn't fit so well. I was considering using the vertical scrapbook holders:

http://www.scrapbooking.ca/cropperhopper.html

(4th image down) But it would take a full shelf in her room.... Unless they'd fit beside her desk and i can convince dh to build a cubby for these and her reference books and text books.

Or... I don't know.

but I didn't really know I was doing it.

Target has a section of shelving, cabinet-like things, cubby-like units, etc. They might be considered closet organizing modules...not sure.

Anyway, each kid has two of the small three-shelf towers...they measure about 12" deep x 12" wide x 32" high (so 64" when stacked). They come with little pegs to connect them one on top of the other. We used these for a while with just the shelves that came with them.

BUT...then I had a great idea...have additional shelves cut from that inexpensive pressed wood board stuff and buy more shelf pegs.

Now, each subject has a cubby or shelf and the kids just work their way through. I do give them a daily list of assignments since each day isn't exactly the same, but the books, papers, binders...whatever...are kept in the same cubby. Everything is placed flat...no tipping over books or binders, no slumping workbooks...

I'd post a picture, but I'm technology challenged and would need to get my dd's help. Maybe later.

hth someone!

We have been using workboxes since last fall..so this whole past school year.

It has been wonderful for all of us. DS12 was already working pretty independently, as I would post his daily schedule on a corkboard with all assignments listed.

But I wanted workboxes for all the children, so DS12 got his too. I think the biggest difference, since he was already plugging along fine, was just the helping his and mine, day go along a bit smoother. No looking around for this book, and that pen, and this material, and that binder. It was all in his workbox.

I didn't go with the clear ones....the fact that he moves the velcroed number from the completed box to the matching number on the wall, is enough of a visual to show his progress throughout the day.

Here's the workboxes we use : http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/100015/Realspace-10-Drawer-Mobile-Organizer-37/

Although they did go on sale in August, so I got them a bit cheaper.

Every book we have had has fit in, including binders, larger textbooks, etc. There's JUST enough space between each box that if something doesn't fit in just perfectly, one side can be up a bit, so sitting at an angle, and not interfere with boxes sliding out. I did add two stackable crates ontop of the system for days when he needs 12 boxes.

• 2 months later...
Guest trishakitten

I have just started to use the workbox system but have modified it for our specific needs. I blogged about it earlier today. Below is the post from my blog. http://www.whyigoon.blogspot.com :thumbup:

Ok, so today is officially the 2nd day with the workbox system. I Love LOVE, LOVE it!! I'm not sure how the kids feel about it but it worked well for us for today. The weekly schedule leaves me free from scheduling the remainder of the week. It also lets the kids take charge of some of their own time and school work.

I think we may change Literature for Adam though. It is a bit above his understanding and a huge amount of reading out loud for me considering that I read Biology, History and Literature out loud to both boys. By the end of the day my voice should be hoarse! lol

I want to put some pictures on here about the workboxes but I have two small problems; one is I have no idea how to do it and secondly I have no pictures taken yet. lol My batteries are charging so I can take pictures soon. :confused1:

So far the workboxes are set up, instead of drawers the way Sue Patrick designed it, as binders. Each kid has two binders. one binder is for this week we are working in. The second binder is for completed and graded work. In each binder each subject has it's own folder. Int he "this week's" binder the work to be completed goes in the left pocket. Once it is completed it is then moved to the right pocket. at the end of each week there should be nothing in the left pockets. Once all the work is graded the kids put it in their completed work binder in that subjects folder. In the front of each "this week's" binder each kid has their assignments listed for the whole week. It is up to them to make sure the work gets completed. They can do it in any order they want as long as it is all done by Friday afternoon.

Each kid gets a drawer to put their binder and pencils/pens in so they know right where their supplies are. There is a third drawer that has commonly used items that they might need. We use a bookshelf for all the text and work books and their completed work binder. Each child gets their own shelf also. Their text/work books stay on their shelf. All the teacher's manuals are on a shelf for me. Everything is easy to find and in clear site.

this has made my mind clearer then it was last year. Last year we went day by day. I know it wasn't a good system but I was just to lazy to figure it out and to plan ahead. This year I am determined to plan ahead. lol

The original system can be found at http://www.workboxsystem.com/ . As you ca see I have adapted it to use binders instead of drawers so it would work in the small space we have and so the kids would be more interested in using it. I thought they might think it was babyish if I used drawers for each subject. After talking to them about it I was right. They said no way... hahaha

You can also google workboxes and find ways others have adapted it.

Well, I think that is all for this post. I will keep you posted as to how it continues to work (or not work) for us.

Always make your homeschool cool for you and your family. Don't make it a school but a place of learning. :)

I've started using workboxes for my 11, 8, and 6 yr old.

It seems sometimes that the workboxes are too "young" for my 11 year old, but I've been trying to find activities that are more suited to him.

I haven't read/bought Sue Patrick's Workbox System book yet, so all of the knowledge I have on workboxes I got from blogs or from the Yahoo workbox group.

However, I did the plastic shoebox containers, but I only did 8 of them per child. Part of the reason for that is that the boys have science, social studies, PE, and art at a local co-op like program. So I'm doing only math and the language arts at home (and Story of the World together as a group).

They have four curriculum boxes and four "funboxes". The funboxes are in between each curriculum box. So a typical day for my 11 yr old may look like this:

box 1 - Math (currently Math U See...switching to Singapore on Thursday though!)

box 2 - an activity out of his Boy Scouts book, such as working on a merit badge

box 3 - Winston Grammar (this too is changing lol)

box 4 - Computer time 30 min (educational game)

box 5 - LLATL (thinking about tweaking this too)

box 6 - A drawing activity

box 7 - AAS (just trying to get through the basic phonograms and rules since he never had that instruction in school..then starting Spelling Workout next week)

box 8 - journal/reading (I always end with them writing in their journal and reading, about 30 min for him.)

Some other "funbox" ideas I've done with him so far is to play a game with his younger brother or read him a book (the preschool aged brother who's not doing school right now). I've also done a nature photo scavenger hunt outside with my camera. We made Native American "pottery" last week...although that didn't turn out so well...too crumbly of a recipe. lol Other ideas I've had were crossword puzzles, mad libs....

I'm still trying to come up with ideas. LOL

Anyway, apparently these boxes can be used all the way up until high school. The trick is finding "fun" things for them to do that aren't too babyish I guess?

I'm all for ideas!!

Here is my blog post and set-up of our workboxes:

http://boysnbooks.blogspot.com/

• 4 months later...

I am tring out the workboxes as well, I am using magazine boxes, I purchased them from Ikea. Each child has their own shelf with their boxes, I have a bookshelf from Target. The boxes were the cheap cardboard ones, they were 4 for $2.00 and I purchased 7 for each child and then we have 5 for the subjects we do all together. I was disappointed to find that their binders don't fit in the boxes, so I have the binders on a seperate shelf, but they seem to be very sturdy. I only spent $20.00 on the boxes, so if I decide they just won't do I am not out too much.

I don't number the boxes, I have them labeled by subject, and I made labels for all kinds of activities for the boxes and the schedules. I used velcro to attach them, so I can switch labels if I need to, and then I just put the boxes in the order I want them to be in and do the same with the labels on the schedule. This is a bit more time consuming, but I just do it as part of my lesson planning. It is faster for me to see a subject and not a number. When my kids are done, they put the matching label that is on their schedule grid onto the box, so the boxes with two labels are the completed ones, and I have all the labels in one spot on the shelf for me to put in order for the next day. I just put the labels back onto my kids empty schedule cards in the order I want them in that night. Then, any boxes we didn't use that day stay on the shelf and I don't have to mess with it. This way I can have all of our "once a week" subjects ready to go and they aren't in the way.

I am excited to read about how others are doing this so I can continue to tweak our system!