Menu

Singapore ladies.....Question please.....

Well... if your child is more math inclined I'd say Intensive Practice, or even if he/she isn't you could use it a level below.

I, personally, wouldn't buy JUST the CWP. The Intensive Practice has some good challenging word problems.

If your child really just needs some extra practice then I'd get the Extra Practice. :)

I'd tried the IP with my not so mathy dd and she hated it, but did well with EP. MY very mathy ds absolutely LOVED the IP.

This would be for a mathy kid, who loves math, and "might" be an engineer......(too early to tell, really.....but he has those tendencies....). I call him my "Thomas Edison".

BUT he has issues with getting things into his long term memory and HAS to have extra practice so that things with stick and stay there.;)

But once things are in the long term memory, they are there to stay.

Blessings,

Brenda

I'd probably go with Intensive Practice then. The IP has more logic game type review/practice and challenging word problems. I think it'd be overkill to do both the IP and EP.

The EP is just more of the same type of problems in the regular workbook.

:iagree: Mathy kid here; CWP was overkill, IP was just right..

Will add that for concepts he had figured out himself, we didn't need the wkbk exercises and just did the appropriate IP section

We prefer IP to CWP as well. I like that the problems are more varied in IP. Good Luck :)

Eventually our system got refined such that DD the Elder did IP (in lieu of the workbook) and the "Challenging" sections of the CWP, one word problem a day until the topic was finished.

I slowed my middle down by having her do Challenging Word Problems over the summers rather than letting her continue to work through the Primary Math books. I think she would have liked Intensive Practice better. I didn't use any of the supplements with my oldest, but she did the program back when 3rd edition was the only thing available.

I don't think any of the supplements are absolutely necessary.

fwiw, we have both, and use both. dyslexic dd does not like the intensive practice, but for the spacial things, it challenges her and she loves it. in singapore, they have an extra time where they work on math facts, and that's what we use the extra practice for. last year, i assigned extra practice as their math homework some nights, so they could get used to the idea that some school work is done outside of school time. in the end, they have so little time with their dad in the evenings that we stopped it, but i'm still wondering if it shouldn't be "before computer time happens" work.... or something. for the mathy dd, she likes both... and sometimes the extra practice is exactly what she needs. we don't do all of either intensive or extra practice. the cost is not so great, so for us it was worth it to get both.

hth,

ann

Brenda,

We use the IP and CWP books. If I had to choose one it would be CWP, but those are going oop. My kids are not mathy, so I do have to help them with some of the problems in both. I think it is worth it to get them focused on problem solving.

Heather

How often do you ladies schedule work in CWP or IP? Every day? Once a week? Or when needed? (O.K. my very "in the box, left brain" has trouble with the when needed......It is just easier for me to schedule it. Guess I'm just getting old!:glare:)

Presently we are spending about 45 minutes on a "regular lesson", which includes the textbook with mom and independent work in the workbook.

So, do I use another 15 or 20 minutes of math time ONCE a day, OR do I schedule once a week do use the whole time for IP or CWP?

How do you schedule it?

Blessings,

Brenda

When we were doing it, I always scheduled the IP (or EP) at the end of a chapter. You *could* have him just do a certain amount of time every Friday, or something like that. Maybe 30 minutes instead of your regular 45.

I wouldn't add to your daily minutes though. Unless you wanted to cut a regular lesson to 30 minutes and have 15 of IP.

Intensive Practice, definitely. You just get more for your $$. The IP books have more challenging word problems and you get the extra practice (with added thinking skills practice) in it too. Plus, if it's TOO challenging or if you want to add review of older topics, just use the IP from the level before the one you have for text/wkbk (ex: dd using txt/wkbk 2A and IP 1B).

Cheers!

AHH!!! Do you hear the stress level going way down over here.... One book at a time......Something SO simple....Yep, I can wrap my mind around that!

Thank you! I can do that!

(And you use TOG and AAS too!:001_smile:)

Blessings,

Brenda

Brenda,

Yea! Glad to hear that works for you!!

If I make it complicated I would never be able to figure out what I had done with each child. :smilielol5:

Heather

My kids are using Math-U-See for math. I was all set to order CWP for each of them at their own level, but maybe I should order IP for each of them as well? Or is that overkill?

They are both strong in math ... but sometimes I feel like they are not getting enough practice with the MUS sheets they do. They seem to do fine on their daily assignments and weekly tests, but I just wonder how they would do with performing math calculations in a non-MUS book. I was thinking the word problems in CWP would be excellent supplemental practice, but I have seen some of the pages of several IP books and it looks like they have solid extra practice as well.

Do you think it would be confusing to a child who has learned the MUS way to compute problems to also use these Singapore books as supplements?

Edited to add: My oldest is using Life of Fred this year as a supplement to MUS ... he will be working on the first LOF book which will be review of what he did in MUS last year. Is that a good way to use LOF? As a good review of what the child has previously covered in MUS?

Thanks for your help! :)

Edited by seewah

We use Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems, I buy Extra Practice every year (It's only $9.00 or something like that for both A & B) but have only use it if there was a concept she needed extra work on. We didn't use EP at all last year. My DD is very "Mathy", IP and CWP work keeps her from running wildly ahead and they give me some peace of mind that she is conceptualizing well.

My 'mathy' ds loved CWP in the earlier grades, but really started NOT liking them in 4th. We had much more success getting a grade appropriate 'fun' math book (puzzles, logic, across the board review). I think we may have used the red Harcourt Brace book from Barnes & Noble.

For what it's worth, we're leaving Singapore for the first time this year and going with Life of Fred.

HTH.