Menu

Hoping for a little help...

Guest wonluckieducky

Guest wonluckieducky

Hi, I am a mom who is brand new to homeschooling. i have an almost 7yr. old who passed first grade with flying colors this year and a 81/2 yr.old that just got pushed through (again) to the fourth grade, even though he is a few grades behind in his learning skills. Our school and it's distric is just not a help at all when it comes to my son, so I am looking to help my kids get the education they need to succeed. However since I am very new to teaching homeschool and don't really know where to begin, I was hoping that anyone might have some advice or helpful comments? Thank you very much,Erica

Welcome, Erica!

I always recommend a book by Cathy Duffy, called 100 Top Picks. This is worth it's weight in gold and can save you hundreds of dollars by helping you define your goals, your teaching style, your child's learning style, your philosophy of education, what you need in a curriculum as far as teacher directed/independant etc. then it outlines those curricula that match your info in a handy chart! It saved me hundreds of dollars because I was just about to purchase a whole boxed curriculum only to find out after reading this book that my dd is NOT a textbook kind of girl! ;) Please do get this book, highlight in it, write in the answers to the questions it asks you... you will refer back to this book dozens of times every year!

I'd also recommend reading The Well Trained Mind if you haven't already. It is a program outline for Classical Education, a style that is rigorous and will create thinkers. It is really inspirational and sets the bar high enough to be... well.. inspirational, but still totally attainable. You'll have a good idea about whether a classical education suits your particular family after reading Cathy Duffy's book, so if your scores in her book rank classical ed somewhere on the high end, definately get The Well Trained Mind.

Most importantly, when pulling children from school, know that it is okay to take it easy for a while. Work on character, work on your relationship. Make learning natural and fun and don't rush things. You're setting a solid foundation by doing this, and don't let guilt make you push too far ahead too soon. Enjoy the transition, and enjoy your children.

I'm sensing some apprehension, some fear from your post. Please know that that's okay. You can chat with us about it, there are so many moms here who understand exactly what you're going through. It's a HUGE job to homeschool, and many people believe a mom can't do this without a teacher's degree. Don't fall for those lies! You taught your dc to walk, to talk, to tie their shoes, to wash their hands, to pee in the potty! You are a great teacher for doing those things, and there is no teacher in the world who loves your children and wants them to succeed more than you do. YOU CAN DO THIS! :001_smile:

I always recommend a book by Cathy Duffy, called 100 Top Picks. This is worth it's weight in gold and can save you hundreds of dollars by helping you define your goals, your teaching style, your child's learning style, your philosophy of education, what you need in a curriculum as far as teacher directed/independant etc. then it outlines those curricula that match your info in a handy chart! It saved me hundreds of dollars because I was just about to purchase a whole boxed curriculum only to find out after reading this book that my dd is NOT a textbook kind of girl! ;) Please do get this book, highlight in it, write in the answers to the questions it asks you... you will refer back to this book dozens of times every year!

I'd also recommend reading The Well Trained Mind if you haven't already. It is a program outline for Classical Education, a style that is rigorous and will create thinkers. It is really inspirational and sets the bar high enough to be... well.. inspirational, but still totally attainable. You'll have a good idea about whether a classical education suits your particular family after reading Cathy Duffy's book, so if your scores in her book rank classical ed somewhere on the high end, definately get The Well Trained Mind.

:iagree:

I agree with specialmama's whole post. But especially about Cathy Duffy's book. I find that if I stick to her book, the curriculum choices work for my DD. When I stray or try to use curriculum which doesn't match my DD's learning style it doesn't go as smoothly or we don't get the benefit I'd hoped for.

Also, if your children don't match a learning style exactly, don't worry about it. My oldest was very easy to pinpoint as a "Perfect Paula" who loves workbooks. She enjoys hands on activities, and we do them, but the lesson doesn't stick for her unless there's also a worksheet or reading because that's what she needs.

My youngest is all over the place - she kind of fits the "Sociable Sue" and "Wiggly Willie" profiles but I have a feeling as she gets older she may become a "Competent Carl" since she thrives on order. I just stay away from "Perfect Paula" type material for her because that is not her style. These names probably don't mean anything to you, but they will once you read the book. Cathy Duffy matches these learning styles up with her 100 top picks for curriculum. It's really helpful.

She also has a website, but you have to get the book to see the 100 Top Picks and info about learning styles: http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/

Well Trained Mind is outstanding, and since your children are still young you might enjoy reading Charlotte Mason. Here's Susan Wise Bauer's (SWB on these boards) review of Charlotte Mason:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/charlottemason.html

I enjoy Simply Charlotte Mason materials more than the two author's reviewed by SWB: http://simplycharlottemason.com/

But definitely get started with Cathy Duffy and Well Trained Mind.

Hope this helps, and remember... Have fun too!

Just some things to keep in mind:

Before you start homeschooling take a break from school--1 month for every year of school and then start slowly with some fun stuff to find out where they really are skill-wise.

Don't worry about grade level--start with where they are at and work from there.

At home school work will probably take a lot less time.

Good luck.:001_smile:

Welcome to the world of homeschooling. Take your time figuring out what you want to use, there are lots of samples online, you just have to do some searching. Other than this board, I'd suggest looking at http://www.homeschoolreviews.com. It has alot of reviews on there, so you could narrow some choices down. Also, there are free online math drill at http://www.mathusee.com, and free worksheets at http://www.themathfactworksheetsite.com (or something close to that title).

You can do specific searches on diff. programs here, so spend your summer taking a look around, but I'd still try to keep your kids reading and maybe lightly do some math facts throughout the summer.

If you want some suggestions on programs then PM me, I can not only tell you what I've used, but what I've seen suggested for these ages.

HTH,

Alison

Hi, I am a mom who is brand new to homeschooling. i have an almost 7yr. old who passed first grade with flying colors this year and a 81/2 yr.old that just got pushed through (again) to the fourth grade, even though he is a few grades behind in his learning skills. Our school and it's distric is just not a help at all when it comes to my son, so I am looking to help my kids get the education they need to succeed. However since I am very new to teaching homeschool and don't really know where to begin, I was hoping that anyone might have some advice or helpful comments? Thank you very much,Erica

I'd start by reading The Well Trained Mind book. It'll help you figure out what your kids need help with, where to start them, and give you some resources to teach with.

Ditto on the warm welcome! Have you been to your state's homeschool convention yet? You might check to see if there is one and try to attend. I always love ours and find them helpful and inspiring. It will help you connect with so many of the resources out there. Also, have you checked your state's homeschool laws? That's pretty obvious, but each state is different, meaning it's important to find out how to comply, what you'll need to keep track of, etc.

On the grade thing, if I could make a suggestion, it would be that NOW is a good time to re-evaluate the grade level for your 8 1/2 yo. Each state varies with their cut-off, some being in early summer and some as late as December, which isn't very helpful! Suffice it to say, I can't imagine calling an 8 1/2 yo who struggles a 4th grader! When is his/her birthday? And is it a boy or girl? Frankly, I've heard many people who establish an early cut-off, irrespective of their state, especially with boys. So if you have a boy with a summer birthday and he's struggling, I'd feel free in your mind to even call him a 3rd grader this coming year. Better to put him back now, when he's young enough to get over it pretty quickly, and find him so prepared and ahead later that you jump a grade, rather than struggle and struggle. Kids who are old for their grade become peer leaders, so it can be a very good thing. It has been discussed frequently on the board, so it's something you could search and consider. Just a thought.

Just as a starting point, I'd get the placement tests for Horizons, Saxon, or some other math and give them. That will give you a sense of where they are and what you're looking for. You're going to have some great purchases and some busts, so just give yourself time. There's a learning curve to all this. :)

Have fun and don't stress. You can do this! :)

Welcome! You've gotten great advice so far! I agree with OhE on the grade issue. My oldest has an October birthday so he is "held back" (actually with a b-day is late as October, I'm not really sure I'd call it "held back"). He is a little older than some I read about here, but he's right where he needs to be. When he was 8 (turning 9 in Oct) we were doing 3rd grade, if that makes you feel better!

Also, whatever books you read (Well-Trained Mind, for example), do not be overwhelmed! Don't try to do it all! I think it even says that noone is expected to do everything mentioned.

One of the things I heard at a convention from Andrew Pudewa was helpful to me - he said you could divide your educational goals into three areas: Character, Skills (reading/writing/math), and Content (history, science). After you've taken a break as suggested, start with Character and Skills. It's easy enough to add in Content just reading aloud good books from the library (there are lots of free good book lists online). This could give you time to ease into things without spending a lot on history or science packages just to find out they are not a good fit.

Welcome!

On the grade thing, if I could make a suggestion, it would be that NOW is a good time to re-evaluate the grade level for your 8 1/2 yo. Each state varies with their cut-off, some being in early summer and some as late as December, which isn't very helpful! Suffice it to say, I can't imagine calling an 8 1/2 yo who struggles a 4th grader! When is his/her birthday? And is it a boy or girl? Frankly, I've heard many people who establish an early cut-off, irrespective of their state, especially with boys. So if you have a boy with a summer birthday and he's struggling, I'd feel free in your mind to even call him a 3rd grader this coming year.

:iagree: I have an 8 1/2 yo who is turning 9 in Dec. I'm calling her 4th grade in the fall because that's the level she's working at, but if I were to send her to public school, she'd miss the cut-off by almost three months! An 8 1/2 yo here would almost certainly be in 3rd grade in the fall. Here you have to turn 9 before the school-year starts to be in 4th - I certainly wouldn't feel even a little twinge calling a kid with a fall or even summer birthday a 3rd grader in the fall.

For your first year of homeschooling my advice would be:

1. Keep it simple this year. Focus on the core skills of reading, writing and math. Only add in other subjects when you are confident and comfortable with the core stuff. It's okay not to "do" history or science this year. Believe me when I say your 2nd and 4th grader will not be at a permanent disadvantage if they don't get to science or latin or geography this year.

2. Make a list of specific academic goals you'd like to reach for this year. If your 8 1/2 year old is struggling with basic skills, perhaps one of your goals will be to remediate his reading level. Keep this list, even post it in your home, to keep you focused on the important stuff.

3. Get connected to a homeschool support group or cooperative in your area. Make this a fun outlet for getting to know other homeschoolers. Don't necessarily look for core academics via a group. But, don't let this be a huge distraction either.

4. Don't stress-out. You can do this.

5. Have fun.

Welcome! You've come to a great place for help. The ladies on these boards are a wealth of information! You've already gotten some good advice.

When I started, I read the Well-Trained Mind and The Charlotte Mason Companion. Between the two books, I began to form goals for my children's education. Go online and request a catalog from Rainbow Resource http://www.rainbowresource.com Their catalog is like a phone book! They have lots of curriculum at discounted prices and the catalog gives you summaries about the things they carry, so it really helps when you are trying to make decisions about what to buy.

When you have more specific questions about which curriculum to buy for math, or what book to get for history, etc. Come to these boards and you'll get lots of feedback.

Guest wonluckieducky

My son is the 81/2 yr.old. W were a military family living in N.Y., where they did't have a pre-school program available to us, so we just put him into kindergarden a little early. His birthday is in october (he started school when he was still 4) but it seemed like once he hit the first grade, he started having problems and falling behind. Right now, even though he is supposed to start 4th grade in the fall, his teachers are saying that his skill level is still stuck in the second grade. He is a child that gets frustrated easily and has a hard time focusing and staying on task. Since the classrooms are so full and there are so many other students, he just slides by and has been placed in the back of the classroom. Also i just want to say thank you all so much for your advice and welcomes.I am so grateful to get these replies and they are all so helpful. thank you so much. Oh, and i was wondering what DD and DDS stand for? All of these abbreviations are very confusing to me still...

My son is the 81/2 yr.old. W were a military family living in N.Y., where they did't have a pre-school program available to us, so we just put him into kindergarden a little early. His birthday is in october (he started school when he was still 4) but it seemed like once he hit the first grade, he started having problems and falling behind. Right now, even though he is supposed to start 4th grade in the fall, his teachers are saying that his skill level is still stuck in the second grade. He is a child that gets frustrated easily and has a hard time focusing and staying on task. Since the classrooms are so full and there are so many other students, he just slides by and has been placed in the back of the classroom. Also i just want to say thank you all so much for your advice and welcomes.I am so grateful to get these replies and they are all so helpful. thank you so much. Oh, and i was wondering what DD and DDS stand for? All of these abbreviations are very confusing to me still...

I have an 8 1/2 year old daughter with an October birthday, and officially registered her for K when she was almost 6. I started off having her do 1st grade grammar work when she was in Kindergarten, but then she couldn't do the 2nd grade grammar work in 1st grade. In my mind, I was thinking, "I can still think of her as 1st grade when she's officially registered as K." Didn't work. I scaled back and now she's a happy going-to-be-third grader who has completed 2nd grade work easily.

If you are going to homeschool, just figure out where in the various materials you will place him, and progress from there. Even if it's different "grade" levels for different subjects, that's OK.

Congrats on taking this into your own hands. He will probably flourish now!!!!

Somewhere...maybe on the General Board as a stickie? There is a thread that lists the various abbreviations.

LuckieDuckie, my new son (the baby) was born in October, and I've already decided I'll use the early cut-off, meaning he'll turn 6 when I call him K5. His big sis is advanced, so there's no reason to think he won't be. (In fact, I think he's going to be smarter, heh!) But age-maturity and academics are two separate things. I want him to have the time at home, and we'll just be flexible with the academics. I've known just enough kids to struggle when called ahead with those fall birthdays, and just enough kids who were placed back and did GREAT, that it was clear to me how I would go. So don't feel bad in doing that. He's struggling so much, it would probably help him immensely, just by relieving the pressure. It's not just the brainwork, but the writing skills (pushing that pencil), etc. Feel free to call him a 3rd grader this fall. He'll get over it, especially if you play it up as part of the transition. :)