Menu

Textbook(s) recommendation for AP US History

We would like to study AP US History on our own.

1) Which textbooks would you recommend for AP US History?

2) Should my daughter start reading this summer to prepare herself for AP US History next year?

3) How did you study for it?

4) Did you study the AP prep book(s) such as Princeton Review from the beginning with the textbook? or did you start studying the AP prep book later on in the year.

Thanks.

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/ap-us-history-course-description.pdf I would begin here to examine the topics etc. You may have already done that . If you google AP US History book list several lists will be available. We are not at this point but are preparing for PSAT and are thrilled with the Barrons prep books. Here are suggestions for texts from AP http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/courses/teachers_corner/51831.html Hope this helps

in the end, my ds did not take the exam. That was not the fault of the text book though. We used The American Pageant for the beginning of the year, but I think it was a bit too simplistic for the depth of understanding and knowledge base the exam requires. Later in the year we used The Enduring Vision and I think it was a much better text. It was more detailed and included more political and military history, and less social history than The American Pageant. Though truly I don't know which is the better approach for the exam.

If you are going to teach this at home, I would highly suggest joining the College Board APUSH list-serve. You should get some more responses here, as I know several that have done APUSH. The list serve is a great resource for texts, primary documents, test prep and generally all things APUSH. :001_smile: When I was putting together an AP class, I also googled for syllabi to get an idea how to pace throughout the year. Several veteran teachers had helpful online sites and even reviews that could be accessed.

HTH,

Lisa

My teen used Bailey's American Pageant in an outside the home AP US History class in 10th grade. She enjoyed the book (they read the entire book too!); she thought it had personality. For a summer reading assignment prior to the start of class, they read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle and 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America by Steven M. Gillon. The latter book was written to accompany a History Channel series of that title.

Before the test, she found these flash cards of use for review. A fun add on was the Cartoon History of the United States by Larry Gonick.

Regards,

Kareni

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for answering my questions. I have one more question:

On the Collegeboard website among the list of books recommended are these two:

1) Kennedy, David M., Lizabeth Cohen, and Thomas A. Bailey. The American Pageant: A History of the Republic. Boston: McDougal Littell/Houghton Mifflin.

2) Kennedy, David M., Lizabeth Cohen, and Thomas A. Bailey. The American Pageant: Advanced Placement. Boston: McDougal Littell/Houghton Mifflin.

Do you know which one my daughter needs to study for the AP US History, would it be option #2?

Thanks,

MBH

I looked for the two books on Amazon. There are many slightly different versions there. I'm guessing that the recommended copies are either the 13th or 14th editions of the books. My daughter used the 12th edition. Often the publisher prints a different edition for a particular market. I believe that either edition would be fine. It might also depend how much money you wish to spend. Amazon Marketplace has multiple 12th edition copies used for under $20.00.

Be aware that these are enormous books (over 1000 pages) and that your daughter should read and study the whole thing. Definitely invest in a study guide or two and leave sufficient time to go through it. My suggestion: aim to have the book finished no later than the beginning of April.

Best wishes!

Regards,

Kareni