Menu

Memoria Press French ?

I have MP First Start French but have not used it. I used Galore Park's SYRWTL French. I can't just hand STRWTL French to my kids. They need me for the oral reading of the words. I don't know if my pronunciation is correct but I have a software that reads French and that's the pronunciation I follow.

Has anyone used this? If my child is doing LC1 (by himself with dvdsJ) will he be able to do this by himself?

Thanks!

I don't think so. We have it. My DD14 attempted to start it by herself. She made to the 5th lesson. FWIW, she is very intelligent and has completed LCI with DVDs alone and is progressing rather nicely through LCII in order to start Henle I this fall.

We are starting it together this fall after I brush up on my high school French. ;)

I *do* believe that it is a very workable program, and we will use First Start French II when DD has completed the level I program. There are just some minor issues that I have, one being that the irregular verb aller is introduced in the 2nd lesson but NO WHERE in the student book or teacher manual do they tell you that it is an irregular verb.

The lesson on irregular verbs is - I think - lesson 24. This makes no sense to me. :confused:

I don't think so. We have it. My DD14 attempted to start it by herself. She made to the 5th lesson. FWIW, she is very intelligent and has completed LCI with DVDs alone and is progressing rather nicely through LCII in order to start Henle I this fall.

[I *do* believe that it is a very workable program, and we will use First Start French II when DD has completed the level I program. There are just some minor issues that I have, one being that the irregular verb aller is introduced in the 2nd lesson but NO WHERE in the student book or teacher manual do they tell you that it is an irregular verb. [/font]

The lesson on irregular verbs is - I think - lesson 24. This makes no sense to me. :confused:

Similar situation here-mostly independently. My 12yr. old is using it, but needs some assistance. We will continue with FSF-2.

My 10 year old daughter (who does LC 2 on her own with the DVD) just finished week 3 of First Start French, and she would not be able to do it herself. I don't speak French, but my mother does and she is helping my daughter through it. She presents the lesson and adds whatever information she thinks appropriate. She had the same comment about the irregular verb aller, but said overall it's a good program.

I hope it's appropriate if I comment as the author. The program is really designed to be interactive between a teacher and a student. I really thought about this, as I too like things I can just hand to my dd. But at the age First Start French is aimed at, I really think it's important to practice speaking in an interactive way. Learning any modern language is thus quite different from studying Latin, where the speaking is a much smaller component. Latin as we now study it is more like math, and can be self studied. French, IMHO, is more like music, where a teacher is generally pretty important.

The "aller" issue is a good point. Here's my reasoning, FWIW. Aller, etre and avoir are all irregular verbs, and all introduced early in the program. At the early stage, you just need to memorize them--but if you don't know them, there's hardly anything you can say, and it's next to impossible to come up with any meaningful sentences for practice or exercises. Before I wrote the book, I analyzed about 5 other text series, and aller is almost always introduced early on. But, in future editions I will include more of an explanation in the teacher's manual, and really appreciate the input.

Danielle