Menu

Does anyone use two Latin programs?

Greta

I've heard people talking about using two math curricula because they feel that math is that important. I was wondering if anyone who is really Latin-centered uses two Latin programs?

We're using Latin Prep, and dd really likes it and does NOT want to switch. But I've been rather drawn to the "immersion" type programs that really teach Latin reading primarily, and grammar and translation only secondarily, because one of our goals (I'm learning with her) is to be able to READ Latin literature. And with her learning style, I actually think these would work quite well.

So I'm thinking of adding Ecce Romani in addition to Latin Prep. Is this crazy? Would it end up being confusing rather than helpful? Should we attempt both programs side by side, or do one for a term, then the other, etc.? Has anyone attempted anything like this?

I think this is a very common practice, and I've been listening to some lectures this month that espouse the deductive and inductive methods of teaching Latin. I'm very excited and uplifted about our Latin studies again. Therefore, next year my oldest son will begin Wheelock's Latin with 38 Latin Stories and my middle son will do Great Latin Adventures with Cambridge Latin Unit 1. I will use the deductive programs as our spine and fill in the week with readings from the inductive supplements.

HTH!

We've also been using Latin Prep and love it. We'll be finishing Book 2/starting Book 3 next year, and my older DD will be taking a Latin immersion class at a homeschool academy. They will be using Lingua Latin, which I gather is a reading course. Since she loves Latin, I thought it'd be a nice combo for her, so she'll get 1 1/2 credits on Latin work next year. My younger and I will continue with Latin Prep at home, so it'll be interesting to see how my older one progresses past us!

Thank you, Beth, that does help! Glad to know it's not a totally nutty idea. :D May I ask what lectures you've been listening to? If they're available online by any chance? Also, I've not heard of 38 Latin Stories or Great Latin Adventures, so I need to look those up.

Thanks again!

My middle dd will be next year - following Veritas Press plans (we use their Scholars stuff). She'll use LFC and Cambridge. My biggest problem with 2 programs is scheduling them. I always end up assigning too much or too little etc. So I like that VP schedules them both for me. Makes my life easier.

Heather

We have been using Lively Latin and I just purchased Ecce Romani to use along with it. I haven't done it yet, but that is the plan.

Keep me posted! Also, may I ask which materials from Ecce Romani you decided to purchase?

Thank you, Beth, that does help! Glad to know it's not a totally nutty idea. :D May I ask what lectures you've been listening to? If they're available online by any chance? Also, I've not heard of 38 Latin Stories or Great Latin Adventures, so I need to look those up.

Thanks again!

About a year ago WordMp3.com had their Veritas Teacher Training 2001-2007 Conferences along with the Association of Christian Schools 2007 conference on sale for around $50. I bought it, but I've been slow to listen the lectures. I finally got a iPod Nano which has made downloading and listening to the lectures much easier.

Anyway, I sorted the lectures by topic and downloaded everything I could find about Latin. My Latin plans this year fell flat, and I was very discouraged. The lectures by Molly Carey (once you can ignore her laugh), Wes Callihan (always a joy to listen to), and Joanna Veith (I think I'm old enough to be her mom) were very uplifting and inspiring. I've renewed my sense of purpose in teaching Latin!

38 Latin Stories is a supplemental reader made specifically to go with Wheelock's Latin. Great Latin Adventures is a new program that looks like a good fit for my middle son who isn't quite ready for the Wheelock's text. It's a lot of review, so he'll do both volumes in one year, but I also like the new derivative work that will help with his vocabulary as well.

HTH!

Edited by Beth in Central TX

We use Latin Prep and Cambridge. They work nicely together. Cambridge, although designed for HS use, is about 10 times easier than LP. However, I think Cambridge would be very frustrating without LP. (Or at least I would be frustrated, not knowing the why's behind the inflection.)

Using only LP, we hit a sort of wall. It was just too difficult to keep everything in memory and page (mentally) through the conjugations and declensions to build sentences. Also, we were having trouble with pronunciations (which is somewhat important because if one cannot wrap their tongue around the words, it is impossible to remember them.) The Cambridge CD's and the book have helped tremendously. Now my dc go around the house speaking everything possible in Latin.

Absolutely, get a program with CD's.

Penny

We use Latin Prep and Cambridge. They work nicely together. Cambridge, although designed for HS use, is about 10 times easier than LP. However, I think Cambridge would be very frustrating without LP. (Or at least I would be frustrated, not knowing the why's behind the inflection.)

Using only LP, we hit a sort of wall. It was just too difficult to keep everything in memory and page (mentally) through the conjugations and declensions to build sentences. Also, we were having trouble with pronunciations (which is somewhat important because if one cannot wrap their tongue around the words, it is impossible to remember them.) The Cambridge CD's and the book have helped tremendously. Now my dc go around the house speaking everything possible in Latin.

Penny

This is GREAT information. Thank you! :001_smile:

Using Henle Latin and Lingua Latina at the same time with ds. My kids and I take turns reading Lingua Latina with us listening to the audio cd first, and then I read it, and then my kids take turn reading the selection. It works very well that even my youngest dd, who is around when we are doing our LIngua Latina reading, is picking up bits and pieces of Latin. My girls used Lively Latin but I'm switching dd10 to Memoria Press's First Form and dd8 will stay on Lively Latin.

I've heard people talking about using two math curricula because they feel that math is that important. I was wondering if anyone who is really Latin-centered uses two Latin programs?

We're using Latin Prep, and dd really likes it and does NOT want to switch. But I've been rather drawn to the "immersion" type programs that really teach Latin reading primarily, and grammar and translation only secondarily, because one of our goals (I'm learning with her) is to be able to READ Latin literature. And with her learning style, I actually think these would work quite well.

So I'm thinking of adding Ecce Romani in addition to Latin Prep. Is this crazy? Would it end up being confusing rather than helpful? Should we attempt both programs side by side, or do one for a term, then the other, etc.? Has anyone attempted anything like this?

For what you're thinking of doing I'd look at Lingua Latina. There is enough content wise in LL to learn grammar and vocabulary from reading in context, and it's fun.

Ecce Romani on the other hand gives you a sample chapter that you are then supposed to extrapolate upon. It ends up in the neither fish nor fowl category IMO. It doesn't feel like reading (in the way LL surely does). To me ER felt like a "school book" in the worst sense of the word. Where Lingua Latina is exciting and encouraging. And is reading oriented.

Bill

This past school year (for 3rd, 2nd, and K) we used Minimus, Song School Latin, and Latin's Not So Tough 1. As soon as we're done with LNST 1, we're going to do Level 2 and also start Matin Latin. We may or may not go through Minimus a 2nd time.

Penny

We did Cambridge for a few years, and I tried adding in LfC but that was dismal. When we discovered LP, even though both my kids enjoy Latin, they really started learning it! However, its slow going for us- they are not good at memorising and it's meaty. I don't know yet whether we will keep plodding through LP, or stop and have a "Cambridge break" again at some stage. Be aware that Cambridge, like LP, is originally British and so lines up well with LP- if you use the British version . (It's ok anyway- its just the order that things are listed is the same if you use two British programs.) I have heard good things about Ecce Romani as well. Book one of Cambridge though would be a breeze, grammar wise, if you had only completed the first half of LP1.

Without reading other responses (sorry, short on time tonight) -

Kind of, and I have a tentative half-plan to do so in the future.

Right now we're using English From the Roots Up, which I consider to be our beginning basis for Latin. My son will be 5th grade this autumn (by ps standards of course), but probably falls in the new standard (YAY!!) of a lengthened grammar stage for special ed students. I also recently purchased (at a fantastic, unbelievable, unsurpassable price) PowerGlide Junior which I'll let him play around with mostly. (YEP, he's excited to start a foreign language, and wants to do this on his Saturdays. LOL Whatever...)

So he'll do that for a while, and then soon... sometime in 2010 I'd imagine, I'll check on his progress and begin to have him do it "for real".

I have Getting Started With Latin that I plan to use, and I'd imagine that he'll do well with EFRU and we'll continue in volumes of that. I also have Cambridge. I dunno how the ps versions differ from hmsk versions, but I have 3 full units complete with workbooks and CD-ROM courtesy of my uncle who is a ps-hs Latin teacher. My kiddo is the type that will do well with a grammar approach, but I think that the immersion is a great way to go and will help bridge the gap when it comes to other languages. In the future, I plan for him to continue his study of Latin just like he would study English every year, but add other foreign languages. (Starting with Spanish - we live in south Texas.)

Anyway. I think it's fine, especially with the different approaches to Latin out there. Do what works, and reinforcement including review and different methods with same info work for my kiddo. So that's what we'll do!

Watching this thread and I'll read other responses... tomorrow, or later this week. :)

We use Latin Prep and Cambridge. They work nicely together.
This is what we're doing as well. We alternate LP chapters with Cambridge stages. I also have some supplemental reading material that I fit in when appropriate.

The Cambridge CD's and the book have helped tremendously. Now my dc go around the house speaking everything possible in Latin.

We have both the Cambridge and the Latin Prep audio download and enjoy them both. LP gets the slight nod, as the pronunciation is more exaggerated and almost lyrical in nature. I think there's a sample on the website. Edited by nmoira

My son uses Henle and Lingua Latina. He does Henle on his own every day during regular school hours, but we do LL together in spare minutes throughout the week, usually when we're waiting around for my daughter to finish her piano lesson or a dance class. We complete the exercises orally.

My daughter uses Latina Christiana 2 and Latin's Not So Tough. She needed more practice than offered in LC, and she liked the workbook format of LNST. She's in book four, and so far has not come up against anything not presented in LC2 other than a few vocabulary words and some irregular principle parts.

For what you're thinking of doing I'd look at Lingua Latina. There is enough content wise in LL to learn grammar and vocabulary from reading in context, and it's fun.

Ecce Romani on the other hand gives you a sample chapter that you are then supposed to extrapolate upon. It ends up in the neither fish nor fowl category IMO. It doesn't feel like reading (in the way LL surely does). To me ER felt like a "school book" in the worst sense of the word. Where Lingua Latina is exciting and encouraging. And is reading oriented.

Bill

Thank you, Bill, for this review, and to everyone for the further comments. Sorry it took me awhile to reply, but I do appreciate all the help!

We did Cambridge for a few years, and I tried adding in LfC but that was dismal. When we discovered LP, even though both my kids enjoy Latin, they really started learning it! However, its slow going for us- they are not good at memorising and it's meaty. I don't know yet whether we will keep plodding through LP, or stop and have a "Cambridge break" again at some stage. Be aware that Cambridge, like LP, is originally British and so lines up well with LP- if you use the British version . (It's ok anyway- its just the order that things are listed is the same if you use two British programs.) I have heard good things about Ecce Romani as well. Book one of Cambridge though would be a breeze, grammar wise, if you had only completed the first half of LP1.

Cambridge has two versions. There is a British version published in the UK and there is an American version published in the US.

By the way, Ecce Romani was originally published by the Scottish Classics Group. The Oxford Latin Course is of course, from Oxford University, UK. Just like the Cambridge Latin Course, both ER and OLC have both British and American versions. Cambridge and Oxford both have an American presence and Ecce is published in the States by Pearson/Prentice Hall.

Thank you, Bill, for this review, and to everyone for the further comments. Sorry it took me awhile to reply, but I do appreciate all the help!

A criticism of ER is that the reading material is just not as interesting as Cambridge or Lingua Latina. However, ER is quite strong in its presentation of the grammar and it also provides considerable guidance in reading strategies.

I found that adding Getting Started With Latin to our schedule gave both my kids more confidence and made their primary Latin courses (Henle for one, LfC for the other) less intimidating. The lessons are very brief and can be completed in minutes, but have been quite helpful to us.

About a year ago WordMp3.com had their Veritas Teacher Training 2001-2007 Conferences along with the Association of Christian Schools 2007 conference on sale for around $50. I bought it, but I've been slow to listen the lectures. I finally got a iPod Nano which has made downloading and listening to the lectures much easier.

Anyway, I sorted the lectures by topic and downloaded everything I could find about Latin. My Latin plans this year fell flat, and I was very discouraged. The lectures by Molly Carey (once you can ignore her laugh), Wes Callihan (always a joy to listen to), and Joanna Veith (I think I'm old enough to be her mom) were very uplifting and inspiring. I've renewed my sense of purpose in teaching Latin!

38 Latin Stories is a supplemental reader made specifically to go with Wheelock's Latin. Great Latin Adventures is a new program that looks like a good fit for my middle son who isn't quite ready for the Wheelock's text. It's a lot of review, so he'll do both volumes in one year, but I also like the new derivative work that will help with his vocabulary as well.

HTH!

Beth, you might also enjoy the talks by Grant Colvin from the ACCS conference a couple of years ago. He gave two related to Latin and I enjoyed them both a great deal. :) You can find them on WordMP3 as well.