Menu

Ohioans -- Save your library from funding cuts!

From our local library website:

Governor Strickland proposed cuts to state funding for public libraries

During a news conference on Friday, June 19, Governor Strickland proposed a cut to state funding for public libraries of over 50% as a measure to help balance a budget gap of $3.2 billion. Since the Lane Libraries receive approximately 95% of our funding from the state (through the Public Library Fund), the proposed plan would be devastating. The passage of this proposal would cut Lane's 2008 funding of $5.9 million in half moving forward and would force the library system to decrease hours of operation for its three locations. Library users would also have fewer materials, programs and services to take advantage of.

The Governor's proposed funding cuts come at a time when Ohio's public libraries are experiencing unprecedented increases in demand for services. In our communities, library users are turning to their public libraries for free high speed Internet access and help with employment searches, children and teens are beginning summer reading programs, and people of all ages are turning to the library as a lifeline during these difficult economic times.

Google Ohio State Legislature to find your Senators & Representatives, let them know what you think of this plan. Contact your governor by June 30!

I've been following this story with interest since we are in Ohio and have one of the best library systems among the counties. I'm interested to see what will happen if the budget cuts do happen. I'm hoping that instead of cutting back on books, magazines, reference materials and the like, we will see them cutting out the excessive spending on DVDs, music CDs, yes, and even internet access. I'm afraid that they will keep these things in the "entertainment" industry rather than keep the book collections current.

It makes me ill when I witness what I did last week at the library where two early elementary children were playing games on the computers. Their mother came back to them with a stack of about 20 DVD's to gather them to go home. When the kids asked to look at books, she told them she didn't have time for such nonsense!

I also am looking forward to them not being able to discard quite so easily the older books that are in their collections. Books that we depended on for schooling when my oldest were in elementary are being cleared off the shelf to make rooom for the "fluff" series that are currently being written.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

I've been following this story with interest since we are in Ohio and have one of the best library systems among the counties. I'm interested to see what will happen if the budget cuts do happen. I'm hoping that instead of cutting back on books, magazines, reference materials and the like, we will see them cutting out the excessive spending on DVDs, music CDs, yes, and even internet access. I'm afraid that they will keep these things in the "entertainment" industry rather than keep the book collections current.

It makes me ill when I witness what I did last week at the library where two early elementary children were playing games on the computers. Their mother came back to them with a stack of about 20 DVD's to gather them to go home. When the kids asked to look at books, she told them she didn't have time for such nonsense!

I also am looking forward to them not being able to discard quite so easily the older books that are in their collections. Books that we depended on for schooling when my oldest were in elementary are being cleared off the shelf to make rooom for the "fluff" series that are currently being written.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Unfortunately, we are one of those families who take advantage of the DVDs/VHS. Our library limits it to 5 DVDs at a time for only 1 week at a time. We are not close to a video rental place and this is a good, affordable solution for the wintertime blues.....we do Friday night movie night! But I do agree that the children should go to the library for BOOKS not the computer games......I tell my children that is what they do in their "spare" time at home.

Someone brought it to my attention that some of the libraries offer a lunch & snack program for low-income families?!?!?!? Not sure how reliable that statement is but I think that could be eliminated. I also wonder if the morning hours could be cut?!?!? When I have been to our library, it seems the busiest in the afternoon and evenings.

Let's just pray it all works out. "To everything there is a time...."

Did you knwo the first US libraries were private & they started to be seized by or abdicated to the gov't around the mid-1800s. If you are worried about funding for your local library, start a campaign to raise funds for them. You sound passionate & could compel folks to support it!

Honestly, we have 3 local libraries in our county & 2 could close without any weeping. The books are liberal or popculture novels, the hours are not working-family friendly, sleezy people hang out on the computers, and the children's area is heavy on vampires, far*ing dogs, potty humor, smart-mouth kids, and other nonsense. IT is a very sad state.

Most people in the community get little to nothing from libraries (partly b/c they don't read anymore). The libraries due little to reach out into the community - outside the liberal or affluent circles... or little kids programs in summer. If they had to survive in the business world of meeting demand & stimulating the market... they would sink like an anvil.

If you have a great library..... start a campaign. Give the taxpayers a break from the burden. Help the library reach out & gain support.... and invite more people in with programs relevant to average families (speakers, clinics, better books, etc).

Not trying to be confrontational.... just a different way of looking at the problem than the gov't money.

Unfortunately, we are one of those families who take advantage of the DVDs/VHS. Our library limits it to 5 DVDs at a time for only 1 week at a time. We are not close to a video rental place and this is a good, affordable solution for the wintertime blues.....we do Friday night movie night! But I do agree that the children should go to the library for BOOKS not the computer games......I tell my children that is what they do in their "spare" time at home.

Someone brought it to my attention that some of the libraries offer a lunch & snack program for low-income families?!?!?!? Not sure how reliable that statement is but I think that could be eliminated. I also wonder if the morning hours could be cut?!?!? When I have been to our library, it seems the busiest in the afternoon and evenings.

Let's just pray it all works out. "To everything there is a time...."

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that we don't use the DVD's/and Cd's at our library. We do, probably more than we should :glare: I just think that at this point, if budget cuts are going to happen, even severe ones, that the library should go back to it's traditional roots and focus on book collections, not the latest DVD's. I've been checking and lately at our library they have been purchasing six or more copies of each new release DVD when it comes out which is very convenient for the patrons, but is it really necessary when they are threatening to shut down locations?

As far as the hours, I agree that the morning is probably the most non-used time at the library but then that would probably cut out the retired folks (and some of the homeschool crowd) who specifically pick that time because of the quiet atmosphere.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.