Menu

What to add to Letter of the Week?

Moxie

I'll be using the web-site LetteroftheWeek for my 3 1/2 year old in the fall. What should I add to it? He does best when he thinks he is doing what the big kids are doing (example: he LOVES using a chore chart like theirs) so I need to have something for him every day. I need to get everything printed out and in a binder before school starts or it won't get done!

I would say Singapore Early bird math or Right Start math? Maybe MEP since it's free and just lots of playtime and art supplies.

What is MEP? Playtime is the issue. He doesn't want it; he wants to "do school" like the big kids.

What is MEP? Playtime is the issue. He doesn't want it; he wants to "do school" like the big kids.

MEP is a free math program online. How about the early Explode the Code workbooks? That way he'd be getting a little letter reinforcement and he has his big boy work. I would also do lots of read alouds, books on tape, coloring pages (if he'll tolerate them) and stuff like that. I'd let him help with Science experiments (easy ones) as well.

I did LOTW this year w/my 4 yr old. I printed a letter coloring sheet from Sesame Street for every Monday when we started the new letter. Then on Tues. I had a coloring sheet of the letter in ASL. Sometimes she painted or glued things to decorate the sheets. We put them all together in her own binder so she had a notebook like her sis with all of her work in it. She learned her ABCs and in sign language too.

For other work, we used the Rod and Staff ABC workbooks. She did a couple pages of these a week on the other days for her paperwork. At times I gave her dot to dots and mazes from other places too.

Sometimes I gave her playdough or sewing cards and told her that was preschool work that I needed her to do. (This helped in explaining to my older dd why she couldn't do it at that time, because let's face it preschool stuff is just fun. But at times I would tell them it is time for you to do first grade work and you to do your preschool work even if it was just playing with counting bears or playdough or something.

I use the ETC primers which are fun and do the LOTW in the order the primers are set up. He could do a couple of pages a day and have it be real school.

The MEP math is fun, but requires a lot of direct teacher involvement. At the beginning of the school year, you can often find dry-erase type math books/handwriting books for cheap. My daughter does the math ones over and over happily.

I used Kumon books, ETC primer books, and Queen's homeschool LL for little ones.

For science I found a book at Barnes and Nobles called Who's Splashing in the Water? It is a coloring/activity book. They have interesting facts and coloring pages. I only let her color one 2 page spread each day so she is always excited to see the book. I liked the book a lot because it kept her busy and learning at the same time.

Here is a link to the book: http://www.autumnchildrensbooks.co.uk/our-book-store.aspx?List=0&CategoryID=1&Level=1&SortField=Free1,Free2