Menu

Yet another dyslexia question

mo2

I am almost positive my 7yo is dyslexic. I'm trying to save up $$ for testing (we don't have insurance), but in the meantime, should I begin using Reading Reflex or All About Spelling? I have both programs. She can read CVC words, but she still has to sound the letters out individually and then smoosh them together.

Thanks for any input.

Reading Reflex is a solid program, though not the most teacher-friendly. Haven't seen "All About Spelling." I'd go ahead and start with Reading Reflex, read aloud to her, and do fluency readings with her.

You can usually get free testing at your local public school.

I would also get on the webite for Barton Reading and Spelling and read everything there. There is a free pretest that you could order from them that will help you know if your daughter is ready for Barton.

There are other websites--IDA, etc.--just google "dyslexia."

I second the need to read aloud to her and have her read aloud to you the words she can read. Keep it light, positive, and fun.

Grace

I took my dd to the local ps for testing. They did the WISC IV, WJ III, and CTOPP at no charge. I thought the test results were very helpful. It was also very helpful to hear them recommend that I keep hsing since they didn't have a clue how to teach my dd to read. They said that I'd already done everything they knew how to do and had never seen a child with the particular mix of strengths and weaknesses that my dd had.

Reading Reflex is a solid program, but it doesn't give a lot of support after the basic code section. Abecedarian follows the same philosophy, but has a lot of teacher support.

My dd was stuck on sounding out every word for a very long time. Headsprout was the program that got her past it. The program was expensive, but was worth every penny I paid for it.

We used:

I See Sam sets 1-4 and the Tween books

Headsprout parts 1 and 2

Funnix level 2

Phonics for Reading levels 2 and 3 (from Curriculum Associates)

nonsense words

repeated readings of DIBELS oral reading fluency passages

Rewards Secondary

I plan to use Abecedarian level D this year.

Yes, check out Susan Barton's site dys-add.com She has tons of info.

I did Reading Reflex with my son. There is a lot of prep work and I did massive amount of copying and putting into a binder. I felt like it left holes, but it did jump start his phonemic awareness. I actually like what I see in AAS. I might be tempted to do that, in addition to Reading Reflex.

I would "play" with sounds a lot. Make up silly words and ask her to rhyme them. Read lots of Nursery rhymes and Dr. Seuss. Read quality literature aloud, so her vocabulary increases. Ask her what word the sounds B-A-T make. Ask her if you replace the "B" sound in BAT with a "R" sound, what would that make. Do this aloud and make little paper squares with the letters and ask her to do this with the letters. Ask her to them tell you what sounds she hears in words like BAT (B-A-T).

There is a yahoo group called Heart of Reading (I think). It is for homeschoolers. It's not the most active board, but there is tons of info in their links and other folders. Great Schools and ldonline taught me a lot. Be sure to check out their archives - that's where you will learn tons.

Read Overcoming Dyslexia, by Sally Shaywitz.

Oh! There are some really great free phonics sites that can help too. ElizabethB on this board has one (thephonicspage.org and donpotter.net). And there is "Stairway to Reading" and "We All Can Read". Totally free and detailed.

Best wishes! The more you read, the more you'll get a handle on what your dc needs. :)

Lisa

Since you have both, I'd use both together. RR will give you background on how kids learn to read and ideas on game-like activities to do with them. You can use the tiles & phonogram cards from AAS. Work on the first 4 lessons in AAS in the same, game-like fashion that RR has kids make words, take them apart, put them together etc... in the "Basic Code" section. Work a lot on segmenting sounds. I think these two programs really complement each other.

Merry :-)