Menu

homeschool rooms

parias1126

You can see pics of my room (I did an album) if you click on my name. :001_smile:

Oh, thank you. I didn't know I could do this.

Just click on the name and view profile - voila! I learned something new. I just uploaded some of our pictures thanks to you!

We don't have much wall space in the school room because it is a shared space with my husband's office area. We actually use the back of his desk for maps, rolling cart, etc. I am content with what I have after using the kitchen table for so many years. My room makes me happy even though it is small. Lots of fun things can happen in small spaces!

I have loved seeing other's rooms! I am so impressed with how amazing these rooms are. They just look like they are somewhere you would want to go learn and they are as different and unique as each person is individual. It's like having our own little HGtv - only better! :D

I really enjoyed looking at all the pictures of your rooms and reading through the different posts! We have gone from using a school room to the kitchen table and now back to our school room. I prefer having a school room. It seems easier to contain all of our stuff and I'm not as distracted by chores that need to be done. We can shut the door if company is coming over and the room is too messy. And we can leave things out to break for lunch or use again the next day.

The room that we use is our bonus room and posed a little bit of a problem because it is long and narrow with about 5' walls due to a sloping ceiling. I would like to have more upper wall space but it is a good size room so I tried to be creative with what we do have. We also keep ALL of our craft supplies in this room. If you check out my pictures, you'll see that my girls and I love to scrapbook and all of us enjoy notebooking or lapbooking. Most of our library books and current read alouds are kept in our living room in baskets. This is because we do not have a comfy couch in our bonus room. I have some pictures posted here if any of you would like to check it out.

Thanks for all the great pictures and posts. They are giving me ideas for our new dining/schoolroom (we moved in just two months ago).

I have a question regarding lighting. Like someone else mentioned on here, I too am a sun-lover and tend to migrate to the sunny rooms. Unfortunately, our dining room is on the north side of the house (along with the living room, which houses our bookcases). We also live in a northern climate with long winters. The dining room is lit with a single hanging stained-glass light, which is beautiful but not very bright.

My question is, is it possible to light up a room enough, and with the right type of lights, to get it "cheerful" enough to draw people in the same way a sunny room does? Any particular suggestions?

On the plus side, the dining room is the most spacious in the house.

Hmmm... the wheels are turning here. Last year was our first year home schooling and I'm realizing that there were things about how I arranged our physical space that were limiting for the kids. After seeing these pics - I'm ready to make some changes and think "outside the box".

Maybe my room will be post worthy when I'm done!!

• 5 weeks later...

I have loved reading this thread. First-time homeschooler here, getting ready to start in two weeks! I had originally planned to do school at our dining room table, but as I write about in my blog, those plans have quickly changed. I ended up turning part of our basement playroom into a school area. So I don't exactly have a homeschool room, more like a homeschool wall, but hopefully it will work out! You can visit at http://rowancourt.blogspot.com.