Menu

Tell me again...women's plus size dresses. Where?

I need a dress for a wedding. I'm trying to stay away from black.

Why, oh why, do clothing manufacturers assume that if you're overweight, you need to wear black? :confused: That was a rhetorical question...I know, I know, it's supposed to look "slimming". Instead I just end up feeling boring and matronly. I'm really on the conservative side, but I don't want to look like a pioneer schoolmarm, or dress in black, or show whatever it is I supposedly have to it's fullest. I just want to look soft and feminine.

Any ideas on where to look for nicer dresses?

I need a dress for a wedding. I'm trying to stay away from black.

Why, oh why, do clothing manufacturers assume that if you're overweight, you need to wear black? :confused: That was a rhetorical question...I know, I know, it's supposed to look "slimming". Instead I just end up feeling boring and matronly. I'm really on the conservative side, but I don't want to look like a pioneer schoolmarm, or dress in black, or show whatever it is I supposedly have to it's fullest. I just want to look soft and feminine.

Any ideas on where to look for nicer dresses?

Dillard's or Macy's. I have several dresses that I bought a couple of years ago at Dillard's. They are lined and sleeveless but have jackets and NONE are black!! I can't wear black....it makes my skin look yellow.....unless I have a good tan! :lol:

I also have some very nice separates from Coldwater Creek.

Depending on what you want, Lane Bryant.....but I personally think they are bit too trendy.

Maybe this one:

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=50434&CatID=51583&GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=15758f3&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=50434%7c50449%7c51582&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=39&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=50434|50449|51582|51583

With a cami underneath if it really looks too low?

It pretty much has to be online, because I live pretty far out in the boonies. The closest real shopping is about 100 miles away. :sad:

Do they have larger women's sizes? We actually have a Chico's in the next town over, but I've never been there because I thought is was for skinny gals! ;)

Their sizes are weird. They are 1,2 and 3. Three is the plus size.

I do like the JC Penney one you linked. It is great.

I do like the JC Penney one you linked. It is great.

The Penneys dress would probably please my dh. I think part of him wishes I would dress a bit more as I did when we were younger, in softer colors and pastels. I moved away from that as I got older, partly because my personal sense of style became a bit more sophisticated, and partly because once I had my 5 dc I became "plus sized" and couldn't find things like I used to wear.

I'm still looking though!

Hey, come on! ;) I know Chico doesn't have much, but it isn't a desert. I have had better luck at Kohl's than almost anywhere else, and when I made my Sacramento SIL drive all the way to her Kohl's, she found just what she needed. I've had some luck at Penney's, too.

Hey, come on! ;) I know Chico doesn't have much, but it isn't a desert. I have had better luck at Kohl's than almost anywhere else, and when I made my Sacramento SIL drive all the way to her Kohl's, she found just what she needed. I've had some luck at Penney's, too.

Well, are you a normal-sized gal, or are you plus-sized like me?

I see tons of cute stuff at Kohl's and even more at Penney's, but only for women who are much smaller than I am. :sad::crying:

Well, are you a normal-sized gal, or are you plus-sized like me?

I see tons of cute stuff at Kohl's and even more at Penney's, but only for women who are much smaller than I am. :sad::crying:

I'm a 16-18. I hate shopping, because it makes me feel poor and fat at once. :). But I really have had good luck at Kohl's. (And my SIL is more plus-sized than I am.)

I like Fashion Bug also. Their prices tend to be middle range but their stuff is really cute also. I also like Lane Bryant, Women within, and Chico's the best. Could you also do a skirt/shirt combo. Alot of the plus size places have some really cute skirts during this time of the year.