Menu

Please reply if you've tried Ambleside as written and had a great year.

momee

I could use some success stories by those of you who've used AO as written.

I can't tweak, I'm tired. So no suggesting I do so. (not that you would)

I can't peruse catalogs, dh lost his job. Again, no suggesting (not that you would)

I want a relaxed, enjoyable year where my kids actually see what is in our front yard instead of pages and pages of schedules and worksheets. (not that we won't - I just haven't read many of you who have tried it, lots of you use bits and pieces - we won't be)

Please encourage me it'll be just fine.:bigear:

It'll be fine. Really. :grouphug:

I don't use Ambleside, but have attempted to in the past. If we had NO money to be able to buy anything except maybe one or two of the key resources (if that), I would do Ambleside the way a friend of mine does. She uses:

Rod and Staff for English (inexpensive and reuseable).

Saxon math for 4th (or 5th?) grade and up... hands-on practical math and just drilling the math facts prior to that.

Science is real-life outdoors, animals, gardening, cooking, etc. (they live in the country) along with nature magazines and videos. (They belong to Answers in Genesis with some kind of membership.)

Then for history, science and lit from Ambleside, for any of the books that she wasn't able to get at the library, she simply looks at the schedule for the week on Sunday afternoon, prints off the pages/chapters assigned for the week, and hands them over to the student. They're 3-hole punched and put in a binder. Her oldest student has to write out narrations for certain books on the schedule (not every one); the younger kids do oral narrations.

That's it. :) I think it didn't work for me because I was over-complicating everything. :glare:

We did it last year - as planned. Actually did the "combo years" that were set up by someone (can't think of the name). We had an awesome year! We were planning on using it this year and using the formatted books from the yahoo groups - but DH requested that my kids use something else since ds is doing HS credit stuff (Algebra) and I did spend time planning - probably a lot more than needed but that's me.

Now we did LifePacs for math - but honestly I was working with Ray's Arithmetic and my dd and I were again loving it.

Within 1 year my kids test scores went from the 46% to the 88 & 98%! My dd used a lot of audiobooks from Librivox as well.

I loved it - but like I said - DH requested and since we have a farm and I am always running everything, we needed the planning done and ds needs to answer to someone other than me ;)

Hey shinyhappy!

Bless you girl! It's not easy in today's society to be without financial resources, it constantly hits ya, seems everything costs money! :grouphug:

Just a note, I did try AO year 1 with my then 7 year old. It was winter, but we snuggled in like little animals hibernating and it was a time I'll remember with her forever. She loved the AO books so much we continued reading alot of them even after our "break" and still asks for them to be read.

The books were amazing, the conversation that resulted was heart filling and it was a wonderful experience that affected me enough to want to do it again this year. The job loss was just one more confirmation of what direction we needed to move in.

Thanks for replying! Hope we get some great encouragement.

I felt successful with Yr1 and Yr 2. That was a couple years ago - I only had one school age. After that I started speeding up the readings to get us on a 4 year cycle instead of a 6 year history cycle and I had more pregnancies and 2 more children quickly reaching school age, etc. As we hit year 3 I was rethinking a lot of things because teaching my first ds to read didn't go as smoothly as I expected. On a quest to figure out reading and phonics issues I left "CM thinking" for a while. Also, since he wasn't ready to take on Year 3 readings (or higher - since we had sped up the readings) on his own yet and I had younger ones that needed read alouds too it was more than I could do and still cover skills adequately.

I think AO as written can be great depending on a couple things - how many dc? what are their ages? Are you comfortable covering skill subjects (i.e., learning to read? writing? spelling?) without more guidance than AO gives?

Those first two years of AO are some of our fondest memories!

My good friend does and now that I am not quite as new at homeschooling I might do it in the future. It just looked overwhelming to me, but i was just SO new I didn't know what I was looking at.

She spends almost nothing for materials other than printer paper and ink. She goes strictly by the AO schedule. She borrows a lot, finds free resources and uses our suburban library and also the larger city one close by. She has purchased a few resources like MUS, but that's about it.

You can do it!!!!

Sorry about the work situation!:grouphug:

I used it as written for Year 1 and will do the same for Year 2. The only tweaking I do is take most of the religious stuff out (no Bible, no Trial & Triumph, etc). We love it. No, really. The readings are interesting and enjoyable and I love that you can get creative with it. We focused on the main subjects at first and slowly added the "extras" like artists, composers, timeline, foreign language (which I think they say is not nec. in early years anyway), and nature study.

I think I spent a total of $150 on all the books for Year 2 (bought them all early!). My dh lost his job too, so keeping things inexpensive are a priority for me. As for a relaxing year - this will do it. The curriculum is very gentle, fun, and you're done within 2 hours.

HTH!

Out of curiousity how old are your children Mama and what levels are you planning on?

You say you're pretty wiped out and what little we did with Ambleside DID take Mama time, so it's not a hands off curriculum. It's a very involved curriculum.

That said, it's very thorough, very challenging. You might not want to do it at level, but rather below if you don't want it to be extremely challenging.

It can absolutely be done, but it seems everything costs time or money. In this case it will be time. It won't be in planning though! (For me, the readings and reading aloud isn't nearly so exhausting as the planning parts of school!) You might want to join the Yahoogroups as they will REALLY help you with hands on application.

I have a 10th grader doing SL 200 and my 6th grader will do either yr 3, 4 or 5 and my 3rd grader will do yr 2. I bought all the yr 2 stuff and she's sooo excited about doing it. She can read a good bit of it on her own.

As far as the 6th grader, I think yr 4 will be smoothest, yr 3 easiest and yr 5 toughest. We don't want tough this year, lol.

I've read through 1/2 the first CM series book and scoured AO for months.

It's just sooo different from the WTM method (or TOG method which is what we're leaving) I'm afraid the lack of worksheets will not let me "see" progress.

Silliness, I know but since we're talking about it, thought I'd throw it out there.

That's what I think my concern boils down to. Shifting focus mid homeschool career is not easy on mom.

Like what will I turn in to the state ed board to show what we're learning without worksheets and tests? Rhetorical question...one answered by my doing more reading in the CM series Im sure.

Thanks for your replies.

The lack of worksheets will be FINE! I had them write up some excerpts or do outlines over readings via TWTM. Now, we didn't stick with Ambleside for long, I'll admit it. But we had PLENTY to talk about, write about, etc. You'll have dictations and copywork a la Charlotte Mason method. Don't worry about not having proof!

As long as you realize (and it sounds like you do) that working on level not having done Ambleside, would be more than you could chew and you go down a couple levels, you'll do just fine.

I will flat out tell you I thought it was good for dd because she is the kind to look up what she needs to do and just do it. Loved that. 10th grade and 6th grade would be great for that. I think age is a serious advantage when doing Ambleside!

Enjoy your year Mama. I think you'll do great! And don't worry, every time you start to think, "Oh drat, not enough to show anyone" have them outline a reading and then write it out. :P

I'll guarantee anything on that reading list is going to be harder than what their peers will be doing in school. And far more in depth as well, not to mention the amount they'll retain!

Thanks for you words Kelly! It's a silly concern, really, one I'm sure I'll laugh at later.

I appreciate your encouragement, and good luck to you with TOG. My kids learned sooo much from that, as did I. It's been a tough decision to switch.

Again, thanks!

Just a note, I did try AO year 1 with my then 7 year old. It was winter, but we snuggled in like little animals hibernating and it was a time I'll remember with her forever. She loved the AO books so much we continued reading alot of them even after our "break" and still asks for them to be read. The books were amazing, the conversation that resulted was heart filling and it was a wonderful experience that affected me enough to want to do it again this year.
That sure sounds like success to me! :grouphug:Perhaps you’ve answered your own question about using AO in your homeschool!

We focused on the main subjects at first and slowly added the "extras" like artists, composers, timeline, foreign language (which I think they say is not nec. in early years anyway), and nature study.
We’ve done a shortened version of Year 1, Year 2 and are currently in Year 3. I agree with focusing on main subjects and then slowly adding in the extras. We still aren’t doing all the extras yet. This year school was interrupted for various reasons so we did the bare minimum for Year 3 (history, literature, poetry, copywork, math) and still had a great year. The tweaking we did was to actually drop some of the Y3 books just because our time was crunched. I hope to pick them up later.

I think AO as written can be great depending on a couple things - how many dc? what are their ages? Are you comfortable covering skill subjects (i.e., learning to read? writing? spelling?) without more guidance than AO gives? Those first two years of AO are some of our fondest memories!
If I had to read aloud from Y 1-3 at the same time, I think AO would be overwhelming for me personally. I read aloud to one child so the schedule provides the structure I need along with flexibility when life happens.

I also agree that CM has a different approach to LA – copywork, narration (which is oral composition without the actual writing), and dictation. Around age 10-11, they are to begin writing down their own narrations, etc.. so you'd have something to "show". AO's approach to LA is more laid back although veteran AO users say that it works if you give it time and trust the process.

I think AO is very meaty if used as scheduled! Wishing you the best year ever! :grouphug:

It's just sooo different from the WTM method (or TOG method which is what we're leaving) I'm afraid the lack of worksheets will not let me "see" progress.

Like what will I turn in to the state ed board to show what we're learning without worksheets and tests?

When we have used AO or other CM style programs, I often would have my younger children draw a picture about what was read then write a sentence or two about the picture; or they would do copywork or dictation from the reading. I also had my children write narrations from readings and my two oldest dc have become really good writers primarily due to this method. Filling in his/her own pages of things read about ends up being a wonderful record of a child's progress.

All the best.

I just want you to know that I completed year 5 and year 3 this past school year. It was met with great success! I am not doing Ambleside Online totally as written because I am using Classical Writing as my writing (copywork, dictation, etc.) and Story of the World. Thus, I am following the 4 year history cycle. The reason for the 4 year history cycle is my older son loved Story of the World so much. I cannot change. It is in stone. We did 4 years and we are on the second round with SOTW. I also follow the science cycle; however, I follow what Ambleside recommends not TWTM. I try very hard to keep a nature study focus.

I have had my older son reading Plutarch and Shakespeare. I have to figure out how to do this with my younger son who will start next year on Plutarch and Shakespeare. We study hymns, artists, and folk songs. We learned a poem a quarter this year because we had so much memorizing of scripture in AWANA which is OK because CM method is as long as they are memorizing something.

I do a lot of narrations with my sons. We read a lot of books. Yes, the work that you have to do is a lot more on your part initially because you are just learning how to do it. After I have figured out how to do a lot of this work, the children can work independently. A lot of the work that we do is reading, narrating, and writing. I do that in many different styles and ways. I do hymns, artists, and folk songs once a week. We do games with the artist study to remember the pictures. Our time is more taken up with doing the classical work than doing the Ambleside Online stuff. I would say that 70% of the work is AO and 30% is classical. Story of the World is done CM style.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I started with CM and did AO 1 and 2 many years ago.

Then I read other resources and opinions and left it ... always lured away by newer, better, flashier, supposedly more rigorous ...

Now after some years away, and dabbling in TOG and SL, we're back to AO, and I trust for good.

My kids are currently doing Year 7 and Year 2. We have also done Years 1, 2, and a good portion of Year 4.

David Hicks (I hope I have that name correct--going on memory here) who authored Norms and Nobility was consulted (maybe for the upper years--not sure) and when I honestly sat and examined the original sources and the history cycles and the DEPTH I didn't hesitate to jump back in, right into the deep end.

My only regret is that I spent so much time and money reading, researching, purchasing, trying, reselling. I got caught in this curriculum cycle. I allowed popular opinion and people's comments to have too much influence over what I knew to be best for our family.

AO has a timeless quality. We sink our teeth in. We absorb. We reflect. We have quality learning and growing happening in this household.

We do add in:

• Spelling Wisdom ebook (not necessary, but just really lovely) (from http://simplycharlottemason.com)

• Rod & Staff Grammar (although we use the free and darling Grammar Land resource for our ds 8. What a CM way to learn grammar)

• Henle Latin & various logic resources

• For a paper trail: Outlining, mapwork, timeline characters, written narrations, illustrations and additional creative options written out nicely here: http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/narration/

• Truth Quest (for the worldview and background and additional library reads ... just sprinkled in)

• My ds8 does his oral narrations and I type on the laptop. Sometimes he'll copy out his own narrations afterward. Or, I'll just send to print and pop it into a page protector along with his illustration. It makes for a lovely record of accomplishment and learning.

And this past year, I used free books online and the library almost exclusively. It worked beautifully. The AO yahoo group (and AmbleRamble) are also wonderful sources of wisdom and inspiration (if you're not already connected there).

We go right through the summer, because the reading and learning is so rich.

Blessings to you!

That was an awesome response!!!!!

Have been contemplating AO for a couple of months now. I am ready to homeschool without stress. I want to look at my kids and not think of homeschooling all the time when I look at them. I want to do our homeschool day and then have enough time and energy to just be their mom and be a wife. I've had an e-mail conversation with a poster on this thread and what it keeps coming down to for me is that I will have to jump into the middle of history readings - in the middle of books....that is the only thing that has kept me from diving in. But, I think I'm slowly getting over it. My kids will still learn and will learn way more than I ever did.

So, if you decide to go for it, please keep us posted.

Thanks for starting this thread.

You know - if you do the print outs for the years and terms using the FREE downloads from the yahoogroups - you get over that "in the middle of the book" a lot quicker than you would usually because you have no idea you are starting in the middle :)

In some ways since my DH asked me to do a more traditional curriculum this year - I feel a little more flustered in some ways I didn't before. BUT I'll get over it.... it was easy though having 2 binders (1 for each kid) with the terms readings in them.

I can get most books from inter-library loan. I like how the Ambleside incorporates biographies, geography, and literature...with a great free reading list. My children use Ambleside independently and are required to produce written and oral narrations.

Janell

I am a tweaker (using HEO y7) but on the yahoo groups - there are so many connected to Ambleside- there are so many people who really give testimony to the fact Ambleside can be enjoyable and gives a high standard of education all the way through.

When I started the Y7, I realised it was more rigorous that what we were used to, and I cut back and simplified it for us. But I think the higher years are meant to be tweaked and adjusted- the younger ones can be done as is.

You know - if you do the print outs for the years and terms using the FREE downloads from the yahoogroups - you get over that "in the middle of the book" a lot quicker than you would usually because you have no idea you are starting in the middle :)

Hmmm....I've never thought of that. I've just always thought I'd like to have the book in hand, but that is a very good idea. Thanks!:001_smile:

Jennifer,

I've been reading the original CM stuff and For the Children's Sake, it's been very helpful.

I keep looking where we'll be when we finish up and the great exposure is all wonderful, but I need to enjoy learning just as much as they do.

I'm very excited. I need a few of the books and I've decided I've got to get the old stuff I was using out of the house so they'll be no temptation to look at all those worksheets, lol.

Thanks for posting, it's good to know I'm not alone. Hope to keep in touch on how it's going, but no promises. I think I need to stay off these boards (shhhh, did I really just post that?).

Peace to you!

Have been contemplating AO for a couple of months now. I am ready to homeschool without stress. I want to look at my kids and not think of homeschooling all the time when I look at them. I want to do our homeschool day and then have enough time and energy to just be their mom and be a wife. I've had an e-mail conversation with a poster on this thread and what it keeps coming down to for me is that I will have to jump into the middle of history readings - in the middle of books....that is the only thing that has kept me from diving in. But, I think I'm slowly getting over it. My kids will still learn and will learn way more than I ever did.

So, if you decide to go for it, please keep us posted.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Just a little sidebar. What kept me from going nuts starting books in the middle was printing out just the chapters i needed for the year and then binding them in order in a 3 ring book. I loved this method. i used a bit larger type...and big margins so we could write new vocab words....draw pictures...and write narrations on the blank side of the page if we wanted to. These binders became really nice keepsakes of the readings we did...thus relieved my...oh no...how do I prove we did this? stress.

HTH

Faithe