Menu

Is it me or is or is used curriculum getting more expensive??

Guest sarathan

Guest sarathan

I was just browsing the Homeschoolclassifieds website and I have to say that I'm quite surprised at how much people are asking for their used materials. For example, an item that normally would retail for $24 brand new, people are asking $20 used. I don't know, this seems high to me. I guess I was expeting more savings for used stuff. I haven't done a alot of used curriculum buying/selling so maybe I'm just unrealistic? Honestly, a part of me would rather just pay the few extra dolllars and get it brand new from a reputable source like Amazon. But then again, I'm in the middle of a feud with an eBay seller so I'm feeling a bit disgruntled. ;)

It's not really getting more expensive; it has always been like this. I am amazed when people list things used for very little off the new price, and I will not pay that much. Others feel that they should buy used even when it is close to the price of new, because it is money going to another homeschooler.

I think part of it depends on how popular a given curriculum is and how many people are selling it used. Though I often think some of the prices are unrealistic. I don't buy unless its at least 25% off (preferably 1/3 off) the lowest available price (usually RR) with the shipping included. There is after all a risk involved in buying it used.

Guest sarathan
Others feel that they should buy used even when it is close to the price of new, because it is money going to another homeschooler.

I think this is why I'm torn.... it's nice to know my money is going to another family and helping them out rather than going to a large corporation. But the main reason why I shop for used stuff is to save money!

I'm willing to pay a larger percentage of retail when it's a complete package (no more than 75% though). I usually price my stuff at half of retail. I've paid a larger percentage of retail when buying single used books on amazon, but the shipping makes a big difference there. If the difference between new (free shipping with order over $25) and used (3.99 shipping/item) is less than $2, I generally buy new. I've seen items listed used on amazon that cost more to buy used than they do to buy new once you add in the shipping cost.

I think you also take into consideration which edition it is and that more and more people are selling unused curriculum. As more curriculum becomes available and more people are buying to "look" at it, and then resell when it's not a fit... Well, you'll see higher prices. Years ago there weren't as many options, so when you bought it, you used it.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that many folks are listing costs PPD. And as shipping goes up higher and higher, you're getting a significant savings by buying things PPD than paying $6-$10 and OFTEN more to have a box of something shipped to you, especially as most companies don't ship via media mail, but ship via UPS or USPS priority. Plus it's costing the seller more to ship these days.

Truth is if you're buying something like new or near new for $20ppd. vs. $24 new plus shipping you're actually saving about $10 on that ONE item. Multiply that by the rest and the savings does end up being pretty significant.

Obviously if you're looking at making a year's worth of purchases, it makes more sense to buy new and get free shipping from places like Amazon or Rainbow, or another distributor. But if you're just buying one item, the savings on shipping is a lot.

I've noticed the same thing and it's driven me honestly to buying more things new. It's just not worth the risk to me to buy something for only a few dollars off and then have to worry about shipping it back (out that money) and trying to get a refund if it's not up to the description. At that point it's cheaper to just buy it new.

I was sort of surprised by the cost of SOME used curriculum. The stuff I've bought from the Hive has been, imo, well priced, if not down right cheap, but the stuff I'm looking for, Sotw Vol. 2 for example, costs nearly as much used as it did new... Well, if the difference is a few dollars I'll buy new, because I appreciate all the work that went into it and would rather pay the people that made it.

P.S. - the Sotw 2 that I've been bidding on, on Ebay, is now past 60 (when you add in shipping). That is something I've never understood about Ebay, the people that are willing to pay MORE for something used, when they could go to the site and end up with BRAND NEW stuff. Augh, I dislike Ebay strongly :(

Edited by lionfamily1999

Guest sarathan
I think you also take into consideration which edition it is and that more and more people are selling unused curriculum. As more curriculum becomes available and more people are buying to "look" at it, and then resell when it's not a fit... Well, you'll see higher prices. Years ago there weren't as many options, so when you bought it, you used it.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that many folks are listing costs PPD. And as shipping goes up higher and higher, you're getting a significant savings by buying things PPD than paying $6-$10 and OFTEN more to have a box of something shipped to you, especially as most companies don't ship via media mail, but ship via UPS or USPS priority. Plus it's costing the seller more to ship these days.

Truth is if you're buying something like new or near new for $20ppd. vs. $24 new plus shipping you're actually saving about $10 on that ONE item. Multiply that by the rest and the savings does end up being pretty significant.

Obviously if you're looking at making a year's worth of purchases, it makes more sense to buy new and get free shipping from places like Amazon or Rainbow, or another distributor. But if you're just buying one item, the savings on shipping is a lot.

Very true, thanks for pointing that out.

Guest sarathan
I was sort of surprised by the cost of SOME used curriculum. The stuff I've bought from the Hive has been, imo, well priced, if not down right cheap, but the stuff I'm looking for, Sotw Vol. 2 for example, costs nearly as much used as it did new... Well, if the difference is a few dollars I'll buy new, because I appreciate all the work that went into it and would rather pay the people that made it.

P.S. - the Sotw 2 that I've been bidding on, on Ebay, is now past 60 (when you add in shipping). That is something I've never understood about Ebay, the people that are willing to pay MORE for something used, when they could go to the site and end up with BRAND NEW stuff. Augh, I dislike Ebay strongly :(

I know, people are so weird on there, lol. I think it becomes all about "winning" and cost is overlooked.

:iagree: The cost of shipping *always* plays into my prices, both as a seller and a buyer. It's just gotten too high to overlook at either end. I've ended up practically giving some stuff away just to get it sold, and paying for shipping, too.

Others feel that they should buy used even when it is close to the price of new, because it is money going to another homeschooler.
But many times by buying new you are supporting another homeschooler. ;)

About shipping: maybe when we sell used we should start listing our prices with and without shipping, like $15 ($3 shipping)?

The cost of shipping has gone up. In addition if you are paying through PayPal there is now that additional cost (2.9% plus $.30) to calculate. I calculate it all out when I am listing something for sale. I weigh the merchandise minus a box, add the shipping cost, and the PayPal fee. If something is ppd. you can figure that roughly $5.00 of that price is shipping/fees especially on heavier books or materials in binders.

Jennie

I sold a couple of books recently and, taking out shipping costs, made a profit of about $1.25! Still, the books are off my shelf, I was going to the post office anyway, and I wrap books in paper grocery bags and cut-up cereal boxes.

Please don't tell me to factor in the cost of tape or the value of my time spent trolling the hive, wrapping the books, and emailing the buyers. I enjoy the process so I do it gratis.

Things I don't sell go to charity. My shelves are looking neater and neater.

I keep posting things on the sale board here at half the cover price with links to the book(s) etc. and no one is interested at all. :confused:

I'm looking at from the other perspective of people out there wanting something for nothing. I do think the prices here very fair. I also think the integrity of the folks on the WTM boards much higher than some of the other spots that sell used curriculum.

Good luck,

I agree with those that said you really need to factor in shipping because most used ads are postage paid. The cost of postage has really taken a bite into things. Most media mail packages of curriculum I send out now are at least $4, so if you factor that into the $20 asking price of that $24 book, then the book is only going to cost about $16. Now you may say that the book isn't that heavy, but you also have to figure in the weight of the envelope or box and packing material to keep that item safe while in transit.

This is the first year I have bought used. I have found great deals but a few things I am opting to wait and buy new because the price was so high. In my case though, even with the crazy high shipping to Canada I am still getting items 1/2 price of the retail, so the SL science 4 set that retails for $200 plus shipping, I got for $111 including shipping. However, I saw a similar set that would have worked out to $190 used with shipping, and I passed it up because If I buy new I can use my school funding and use a purchase order (though I am trying to save my funding for extracurric lessons).

I factor in shipping when I am looking into used, but there is times when a seller has a product marked way to high imo for used. THis I see most often at used curric fairs where shipping it not an issue. I saw a person there once with well used usborne books, at only $1-2 off the retail, simply because they were usborne even though they were in only fair condition.

I've always been a buy-it-new kind of gal. That philosophy worked fine when I was buying just the "box". Now that I love to tweak, there is no way I could explore new curriculum at full price. I also had never sold home school materials until joining this board. Perhaps I have been very fortunate, but my experience both buying and selling on WMT has been very good. I feel that I have received excellent value on nearly every occasion for what I have purchased and I hope my buyers feel the same about their transactions.

When I realized that I needed a huge list of books for this year, I made a trip to our local, enormous used book store. Books were often listed at 80% of RR price and were not in as good of condition as the books I have received. Buying used here has been a better value for me. The only downside has been Media Mail's propensity for making packages look like elephants in heels dance on them. :D But this applies to new curriculum I've purchased as well. And I loathe paying for new curriculum only to have it arrive looking like it's been used by four kids.

Ok, here's what I don't get.... does it really matter what the book looks like? I mean as long as all the pages are there and not torn or written in completely- who cares if some pages are bent/creased/smudged a little or just looks like it has been used by a few kids? The INFORMATION in the book is the same, regardless of the condition. It's not like there is any less info if the book is used.

Of course if something is in pretty bad condition, then no, it shouldn't be listed close to retail price. But if there isn't much wrong with it other than the fact it was read by a child/parent, why not?

Ok, here's what I don't get.... does it really matter what the book looks like? I mean as long as all the pages are there and not torn or written in completely- who cares if some pages are bent/creased/smudged a little or just looks like it has been used by a few kids? The INFORMATION in the book is the same, regardless of the condition. It's not like there is any less info if the book is used.

Of course if something is in pretty bad condition, then no, it shouldn't be listed close to retail price. But if there isn't much wrong with it other than the fact it was read by a child/parent, why not?

And there are some things I am picky about. Highlighting in the text, a spine that's falling apart, crayon marks on the text, etc....

A little crayon mark on the cover wouldn't bother me....but that is MY decision to make and the seller should list it. Otherwise, I'll just buy new where I KNOW what I can expect.

Well, yes, sometimes it does matter what a book looks like. :) If one has multiple children that will eventually use the book and they buy used in order to save money, one would hope that the book is in good enough condition to last through multiple kids. If the binding is too warped or there are already a bunch of eraser or crayon markings, one may as well spring for the cost of new. And there are still others, myself included, who just like to have a book look and feel new. I guess that's why you'll very seldom find me lurking on any used curriculum forums. :D

Check this site (WTM) for sales - you have to do a search for your particular book (or acronym for your book like SOTW or SL IG - which has taken me forever to learn - people who have used them assume everyone else knows these). It's unlikely you'll find your title by browing the subject lines on the first page of posts.

There are some AWESOME prices on here, but the ones with the best deals get snapped up fast.

Don't count on the want to buy list to get something. It's worth a shot to post - it's free, and you might get lucky, but as a seller, it's time-consuming to keep checking that out, hoping my one or two titles would be listed at some point in time.

The other sites I've checked - homeschoolclassifieds, vegsource - seem pricy.

As a seller, I only sell really nice stuff because I like getting really nice stuff. And it's not worth my time to post and package something to get just a $1 in the end. Here's how I categorize my selling prices (I price by how I like an item as well :) ) :

Brand new (never used) - 25 to 50% off

Like new (may have read some of it) - 30 to 70% off

Didn't use, but has sat there for years and has a "somewhat worn/shelfwear" look to it - 50 to 75% off

Worn - donate to Goodwill or offer it for shipping cost

Sellng and buying seasons have different times. Selling seasons seem to be best in May, early June, and August. People go to homeschool conferences or are gearing up to start the year. I've tried posting in fall (rarely a sale) or winter (don't think I had a look). However, that is probably a great time to buy (like on ebay) IF you can find it posted - you won't have much competition. I love buying homeschool stuff in January - super specials on all the home sites as well to buy stuff new.

TIP to BUYERS: My suggestion is to MAKE A DEAL on this site if you find it too high. I bet at least 1/2 of the sellers would make a deal if you make it a fair one. (EVERY time someone has suggested a deal, I have either counteroffered or taken their offer.) Sellers on here typically are not so much interested in earning the most possible as they are interested in getting a "fair price" and clearing their shelves.

I gave up selling on ebay - fees for everything and only listed for 7 days, unless you want to pay even higher fees. Then those prices get passed on to the buyers. Amazon has even higher fees if the books manage to sell (but is free to list). I found I am able to lower my prices here without fees, and everyone is happier. :)

That's my forty-nine cents worth. :)

Edited by KinderSafari

It certainly does matter what it looks like, if the book is torn up or written in and the owner wants a nearly-new price. I buy books at the library book sale -- if I get a big bag for $3 or $5, I can overlook a few torn-up paperback novels. If my kids turn out to be crazy about them, I'll buy a new copy. But for a curriculum that will get heavy use, I think condition plays a big role. Some people seriously oversell their condition, and I've gotten worn out books when I expected fresh ones. And it takes my time too, to send PMs and emails, waiting for a reply, waiting for someone's paypal address, etc., instead of just placing an order and having it shipped.

I compare used prices for books between the homeschooling ads and other sites, and I've found deals both ways. And I can complain to used book sites like Alibris / Amazon / Better world and have a better guarantee. I have complained (twice recently in fact) when things were described as very good but came all highlighted. I got better customer service from them than I could reasonably expect from a homeschooling mom -- I'd probably feel too bad to complain.

I also have decided it's no longer really worth my time to try to sell smaller items used. It takes a lot of time!

I agree the feedback option on ebay is awesome and we use that all the time before purchasing.

This site has a feedback opportunity too, but is rarely used.

If I remember, when I am a seller here, I try to give people my ebay info so they can check my seller rating and info there.

I also agree it seems to take awhile to get your questions answered here - ebay sellers seem more attentive to their customers.

Selling on this site is just a casual thing for most sellers so they may not be as diligent about customer service.

I've run a few businesses before so to me customer service is everything, but as a friend of mine has pointed out a few times lately with sour deals - that point of view seems to be diminishing. Although I don't understand why. With a poor economy, you'd think customer service would be the best way to entice and keep good customers.

I think it depends how many times people get "burned" at a particular place before they move on to try a different place. :)

We have had QUITE a few bad experiences (as buyers) through ebay this year. Bad sellers, bad paypal experience, crazy. But we live in the middle of nowhere, so we keep trying online places as shipping is cheaper than spending $100 on gas to drive to a big city to save a few $$.

It certainly does matter what it looks like, if the book is torn up or written in and the owner wants a nearly-new price. I buy books at the library book sale -- if I get a big bag for $3 or $5, I can overlook a few torn-up paperback novels. If my kids turn out to be crazy about them, I'll buy a new copy. But for a curriculum that will get heavy use, I think condition plays a big role.

I totally agree that people should not be listing their items at a near new price if the condition if is that bad. I was just talking about items that are close to new looking, even if they have been *used.* For instance, I just received a couple books this week that are immaculate and could have definitely been listed at a higher price. I don't care that they have been used. I don't think people should have to list their items at 1/2 off just because they have been used, even if they are in near perfect condition. KWIM? I really think people should just price their items according to condition. And I see nothing wrong with pricing it to a near new price as long as the condition is good.

I've bought used homeschool materials both on-line and at used curriculum fairs. My experience on-line has been varied, but good for the most part. But I have noticed that the price of used materials has gone up a little. For example, last year, I paid $20 ppd for a good used MUS TM w/ DVD, and the recent postings I've seen have been $25-$35 ppd.

I have to say that, overall, I've found the best deals at the curriculum fairs - it's nice to be able to see what one is actually buying too. But the downside is that these fairs only come once a year!

To me and my ds it does. I'm kind of a snob about my books and never break the spine when I read a regular book. I don't like bent pages or creases or highlights. I know my standards may be different than some people as may my definition of "good" or "like new" condition. But I'm also willing to pay for new if I can't see the book. My ds gets distracted by pages in less than good condition, perhaps it's genetic. :D

I do tend to buy new for most of our school books. Some of the issue for me is timing. I may not have the money available when I see something used. I also like that I can get a refund or exchange on new items and most of the time I have recourse if lost in shipping. I ordered something from Classical Academic Press and it was lost in media mail. They, without question, mailed me a new copy, that wouldn't have been possible had I purchased used.

I scour bookstores and paperbackswap (which has good posting guidelines) for readers and some textbooks. It kind of offsets the purchase of new curriculum items.

I'm looking at from the other perspective of people out there wanting something for nothing. I do think the prices here very fair.

:iagree: I take extremely good care of my curriculum and sell it for 50% off retail, and I still have people sometimes asking if I could lower my prices. :confused: Even on brand new never-used curriculum! I don't mind if they ask, but sometimes I think they want me to give it away. :001_huh: I only sell curriculum so I can make some money to buy new curriculum...if I didn't need that money it would be SO MUCH EASIER to just donate it to the library or a homeschool group, than go through the trouble of post office drops, packing, searching for boxes, etc. KWIM? And with the postage prices now of $2.38 for anything 1 pound and under media mail. It's getting more and more expensive to buy & sell. I don't think many new buyers take into consideration the postal costs, plus the packaging, tape, etc., that goes with their purchase...especially newer homeschooler's who have yet to try and sell anything themselves. ;)

I know that everyone wants to get the best deal they can on their curriculum purchases, but I think we also have take into consideration the seller and her costs when purchasing used. I think 50% off for something like-new or lightly-used is a fantastic deal. I have even paid more. I have purchased many used items over the years, and I cannot recall even one bad purchase. Most homeschooler's, I have found, are honest folk and if their item is well used, their price usually reflects that.

My personal experience, of course. ;)

I've bought used homeschool materials both on-line and at used curriculum fairs. My experience on-line has been varied, but good for the most part. But I have noticed that the price of used materials has gone up a little. For example, last year, I paid $20 ppd for a good used MUS TM w/ DVD, and the recent postings I've seen have been $25-$35 ppd.

But again, think about how much postage has gone up within the past year.... Not to mention gasoline and other supplies for mailing. Sure, the economy's bad so people want good deals when buying used... but the flip side of that is that sellers have out-of-pocket expenses, too, which have gone up a LOT. If I want garage sale prices for my stuff, I'll put it in the garage sale, kwim? There's no shipping involved there. And I don't think it's fair for buyers of used curriculum to expect garage sale prices (or close to it), either. Especially if it's in excellent condition. As someone else said, if there are marks or other flaws with the book, that should be disclosed up front and then the buyer can decide for herself. But to *expect* that all used curriculum, regardless of condition, should be priced just plain CHEAP isn't right.

A *good* used MUS TM and DVD retail for $40 + shipping. So even if you have to pay $25-35 ppd, you're still getting a deal. Especially since MUS isn't available from discount curriculum providers.

(And no, I haven't sold any MUS, so it isn't me! ;) )

:iagree: I take extremely good care of my curriculum and sell it for 50% off retail, and I still have people sometimes asking if I could lower my prices. :confused: Even on brand new never-used curriculum! I don't mind if they ask, but sometimes I think they want me to give it away. :001_huh: I only sell curriculum so I can make some money to buy new curriculum...if I didn't need that money it would be SO MUCH EASIER to just donate it to the library or a homeschool group, than go through the trouble of post office drops, packing, searching for boxes, etc. KWIM? And with the postage prices now of $2.38 for anything 1 pound and under media mail. It's getting more and more expensive to buy & sell. I don't think many new buyers take into consideration the postal costs, plus the packaging, tape, etc., that goes with their purchase...especially newer homeschooler's who have yet to try and sell anything themselves. ;)

I know that everyone wants to get the best deal they can on their curriculum purchases, but I think we also have take into consideration the seller and her costs when purchasing used. I think 50% off for something like-new or lightly-used is a fantastic deal. I have even paid more. I have purchased many used items over the years, and I cannot recall even one bad purchase. Most homeschooler's, I have found, are honest folk and if their item is well used, their price usually reflects that.

My personal experience, of course. ;)

:iagree: Ditto everything Melissa said. And I've had only ONE bad purchase in nearly 9 years of homeschooling. :001_smile:

But many times by buying new you are supporting another homeschooler. ;)

About shipping: maybe when we sell used we should start listing our prices with and without shipping, like $15 ($3 shipping)?

Imo, it would just add more numbers into the mix. I LIKE the ppd listed stuff, :) less to consider. I can see, though, where listing the shipping separate could help, at least then you know how much you're paying for handling. I haven't noticed anyone on here that gouges you with shipping costs, but on Ebay and Amazon it can get rediculous.

All right, so I normally sell stuff and ship it media mail.

Yesterday I sold an educational game and charged my regular rate - $3 shipping. (Media is normally $2.77 to $4 something, most I've ever spent on shipping.)

So I figure, well the person paid $15ppd, what will shipping be? A dollar or two more? I make $9 on a game we've only played once after buying it new? ($30 new).

That's fine.

Go to the post office and THE CHEAPEST RATE is $10.55 to ship ONE board game???

I will be sticking to books.

Oh yes, it matters what the book looks like. I have pretty high standards for what I consider to be EC, VGC, etc. I can't tell you the number of times I've bought something that was supposed to be either LN or EC, only to get it home and find it to be good condition at best. If the seller states it has _____, _____, and ____ that's one thing. I"ve bought things that are supposed to be like new only to find they had coffee (??) stains all over the pages, highlighting like crazy throughout, covers bent all the way down, etc. A lot of times I could have just added a few more dollars and gotten in brand new from RR-especially if I already have a big order going where I could get free shipping!

I've had good experiences too, but of course the bad ones are the ones that really stick with you. :)

All right, so I normally sell stuff and ship it media mail.

Yesterday I sold an educational game and charged my regular rate - $3 shipping. (Media is normally $2.77 to $4 something, most I've ever spent on shipping.)

So I figure, well the person paid $15ppd, what will shipping be? A dollar or two more? I make $9 on a game we've only played once after buying it new? ($30 new).

That's fine.

Go to the post office and THE CHEAPEST RATE is $10.55 to ship ONE board game???

I will be sticking to books.

:iagree: I haven't sold anything in a LONG time (we used to be into ebay quite heavily before they changed), so I was shocked to see how much even media mail can be. Postal rates have really gone up in that time. I usually sell all of my stuff ppd, figuring on a few dollars for shipping, but by the time the paypal fees come out, plus the extra for shipping now, I feel like I"m giving it away. :glare: But if I price it too high to take into account the shipping/paypal fees, no one is interested.

My DD gets more excited about shiny new looking books with updated covers.

Not picking on your daughter specifically, but I think this is something that we need to work on with our kids. Of course shiny new things are more attractive, but I have always impressed upon my kids our responsibility for keeping things out of the waste stream and lowering the demand to use up more resources. My kids have adopted the idea that, in most cases, new is wasteful. (Of course there are some things that must be bought new.)

I know that there are many reasons people buy new, but, imo, "it looks prettier" is a vanity issue.

Tara

I rarely buy used. It usually ends up being only a couple of dollars cheaper. That doesn't seem worth the risk to me. I am very surprised by what people ask for their used curriculum. I am also amazed at what some people call "new". I bought a "new" book from homeschoolclassifieds and the cover was drawn all over in crayon. :glare:

This has become me too.

If I buy used I want to pay, ppd, 50% of the original price (with rare exceptions). Call me cheap if you like, but in my experience people way overvalue their used stuff.

I don't have a double standard. When selling my items, I price them at 50% of the orignal price PPD - or less. I don't know, it just seems like the right thing to do.

This has become me too.

If I buy used I want to pay, ppd, 50% of the original price (with rare exceptions). Call me cheap if you like, but in my experience people way overvalue their used stuff.

I don't have a double standard. When selling my items, I price them at 50% of the orignal price PPD - or less. I don't know, it just seems like the right thing to do.

:iagree:

I know that there are many reasons people buy new, but, imo, "it looks prettier" is a vanity issue.

This is a really good point. A good antidote might be finding some really nice old volumes. I know I often love old hardcovers that I can find for cheaper than a new paperback.

Not picking on your daughter specifically, but I think this is something that we need to work on with our kids. Of course shiny new things are more attractive, but I have always impressed upon my kids our responsibility for keeping things out of the waste stream and lowering the demand to use up more resources. My kids have adopted the idea that, in most cases, new is wasteful. (Of course there are some things that must be bought new.)

Tara

I don't see it this way at all. It's not vain to want the curriculum I use day in and day out with my children to be in excellent condition. If I give them books that are all written in and coming apart then it shows a lack of respect for the materials - after all someone abused the books to get them that way in the first place. I teach my children to care for their books and that school is serious and important. How serious and important can something be if we used trashed books?

I do buy things used sometimes but I'm not paying near-to-new prices for written all over books and I definately don't consider that vain.

Heather

If I give them books that are all written in and coming apart then it shows a lack of respect for the materials

There is a difference between usable condition and falling apart. I wasn't addressing that. I was addressing the idea of buying new simply because people like their things to look shiny and new. To me, that attitude contributes to the overconsumption that plagues American society.

How serious and important can something be if we used trashed books?

There are children the world over who use broken-down school books because that is all that is available to them, and they take school mighty seriously.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
formatting issue

I don't see it this way at all. It's not vain to want the curriculum I use day in and day out with my children to be in excellent condition. If I give them books that are all written in and coming apart then it shows a lack of respect for the materials - after all someone abused the books to get them that way in the first place. I teach my children to care for their books and that school is serious and important. How serious and important can something be if we used trashed books?

I do buy things used sometimes but I'm not paying near-to-new prices for written all over books and I definately don't consider that vain.

Heather

But you're describing books that are "abused" or "trashed". I don't think anyone is arguing that abused books should be priced over 50% of retail. We're talking about books that truly are in good condition. There's a difference between getting a book that's been abused vs. a book that might show a little shelf wear and therefore isn't quite as "shiny" as a brand new book.

There is a difference between usable condition and falling apart. I wasn't addressing that. I was addressing the idea of buying new simply because people like their things to look shiny and new. To me, that attitude contributes to the overconsumption that plagues American society.

There are children the world over who use broken-down school books because that is all that is available to them, and they take school mighty seriously.

Tara

:iagree: We were typing at the same time.

Sigh. I meant that we prefer full color to something that has faded or was printed before full color printing was widely used. I didn't really mean shiny. We do have and enjoy some of those books above in italics. I ordered a workbook used from someone and after seeing how used it was, as in discolored, I wished I had just bought the original. The seller did price it very low, so I should have known better.

I'm curious...

When you buy something used, but in excellent like-new condition for 50% off, and then you sell it the following year still in excellent condition, what do you charge?? Do you charge 50% off the retail of the books when new (basically what YOU paid for it so you in essence got to use the curriculum for free), or 50% off what you actually paid for it?

I don't see that most people "overvalue their used stuff." Sure, there are some who do, but on average I think most people are pretty fair in what they ask (of course, I don't shop ebay either). I personally feel that it is the buyers who are often unfair in their expectations. I know people who have unopened, unused still in SHRINK WRAP BJU curriculum and people want THAT at 50% off too. :confused: To me, that is just plain wrong. Sellers should be able to sell like-new, or new unused, curriculum for 20%-30% off retail and get buyers...but that is a rarity indeed.

I always, ALWAYS, take a huge loss when I sell my curriculum. Always. And more often than not it is curriculum I have purchased and not used. Is it worth more than I charge? You betcha! But can I get even one person interested unless it is at least 50% off...nope. Selling curriculum is frustrating business, but having it sitting on my shelves serves no purpose whatsoever...so I sell. Then I start the process all over again with new curriculum. It's a sickness. :lol::tongue_smilie:

But can I get even one person interested unless it is at least 50% off...nope. Selling curriculum is frustrating business,

Maybe you should list your stuff without a price and ask people to make an offer. I bet you would get more potential buyers that way.

Tara