Menu

Need gift ideas for my turning 9yo dd...

We're kind of at a loss this year. She's getting to that "tween" age I guess. No longer into Barbies so much, or baby dolls, but does still play with the ones she has some. She does like her American Girl doll, so I will get her some clothes for her ($$$:glare:).

I don't think I want to get her more board games because the age spread with her and her brother is too great for much of that, and we have plenty really.

Maybe some craft kits, but it seems like most of them make one thing, and then it's done. Hmmmm, maybe jewelry making?

I am going to teach her how to sew, but just with my machine for now.

Curious about a Nintendo DS. She's not into gaming per se, but maybe just hasn't been exposed to it. Should I consider that? Does it have any redeeming value?

Any other good 9/10yo girl gift recommendations would be great!!!

If you are going to teach her to sew, pick up some of the easy to sew doll patterns for American Girl (18 inch dolls) and pieces of fabric for her birthday gift. A great way to combine both gifts IMO.

We have friends that love their DS but we decided against it for our ds when he turned 9 earlier this year. There are many educational games available for it, but at $20 each, we decided to stay away.

The gift we gave our son that has been his favorite was a small stereo with CD player in his room. We bought age appropriate CDs to go with it. He has just loved it! He has also been responsible enough to only listen to the CDs instead of stations we don't approve of. We bought a cool one at WalMart for $40. My parents bought him an MP3 player that we have now loaded on lots of preapproved music as well. He loves having that plugged into his stereo.

My neice turned 9 last year and part of her gift was the trip to a spa and salon for part of a day with the ladies of the family. Then, that night, the men of the family took her out for a nice dinner date. She still talks about how wonderful that day was.

Dd is turning 9 at the beginning of August. We're getting her some magazine subscriptions, plus some AG stuff. We haven't decided what magazines for certain, but we're looking at the ones from the Cricket folks.

Does she have any hobbies? My parents are thinking about paying for dd to take golf lessons - she has a desire to play golf that we don't know the origin of! - or possibly get her some of the 'stuff' she needs for starting to play in the homeschool band near us.

It is a hard age! We are going to be getting and iPod Touch next month when we get a new computer, and she and dh are going to 'share' it - otherwise I would consider that. Also - I know exactly what you mean about the age spread for board games! Ds *wants* badly to play with her, but just can't most of the time.

Thanks for the ideas so far!!! Keep em coming!

I like the idea of a sewing kit that I can add to. She is always wanting to borrow mine. And the knitting needles/yarn/book is a neat idea. She and I could learn that together.

She has read pretty much all the AG books and is at a higher reading level anyways. We go through books so quickly from our library and for our school work that I hesitate to spend money on that. And she has a CD player in her room and an mp3 player. She also has all the Webkinz she needs but always wants more.:confused:

She loves jewelry, and I have been thinking of a charm bracelet that we can add charms to for each special occasion, but somehow I think that is something that should wait until she is 10 or so. She still loses too many earrings!

The Nintendo is so expensive! I don't want to buy it if she won't play it. I thought maybe if I didn't buy it in pink I could always give it to her brother if she tires of it quickly. :tongue_smilie: I see so many kids having fun with them, and she does enjoy the games in Webkinz.

Again, many thanks for your opinions so far!

If you are considering buying a ds you might also consider a cd player or ipod. Does she like music?

With regard to the nintendo ds, my dd has one. She got it for her eleventh birthday. There are many types of games available. I originally got her one because we had a long trip coming up and thought it would be good entertainment. In addition to typical games (like pokemon) you can get puzzle games like Big Brain Academy, BrainAge and Professor Layton's Curious Village (we really liked this one). We also have the school-like My Vocabulary Tutor and My French Tutor. I think the nintendo ds is a fine toy in the right place. I hate to see kids who pull them out at church or recitals or any event in general where you could expect the child to be of an age to be patient and pay attention. They are great for long trips, down time at home or even with friends (there are some games that synchronize--I don't know how it all works).

For doll clothing, check out Heritageclothesonline . They have clothes to fit 18'" dolls and many clothes matching the period styles of American Girl.

When my daughter was 9, we bought her a karaoke machine and several karaoke cds--she absolutely loves it (though her brother does not!).

I love the idea for crafts--supplies + a book about how to do it. A nice jewelry making set (not just bright pink & purple fake plastic beads) where she can make jewelry for gifts would be fun. I love the idea of a sewing kit--and to make AG doll clothes!

If she hasn't gotten into them already (and hasn't outgrown them), my dd10 still loves Littlest Pet Shop. Some kids are done with things like that sooner than others though...but mine still wants new ones from Walmart.

My daughter also thinks collecting coins is pretty cool--maybe a bag of coins, a few storage books & a book about coin collecting.

have fun!

I agree with the DS idea. My dd9 got one for Christmas, and she loves playing the pet games. Her hand eye coordination is soooo much better now.

Crafts are always fun and finding a project that you both could learn together is great for bonding. My dd and I are going to take a cake decorating class together which will be fun. We have also bought tickets to a movie, gift cards to favorite stores, and we even considered tickets to a concert that she would like.

Is she in need of new, fresh art supplies? My kids go through several Strathmore spiral sketch books a year. They come in several different size. I might add good colored pencils to that, some glue, maybe some clay to make beads, wire, clasps etc.

My dd of almost the same age (a little older) enjoys collecting Breyer horses and Playmobil animals and kits.

We're kind of at a loss this year. She's getting to that "tween" age I guess. No longer into Barbies so much, or baby dolls, but does still play with the ones she has some. She does like her American Girl doll, so I will get her some clothes for her ($$$:glare:).

I don't think I want to get her more board games because the age spread with her and her brother is too great for much of that, and we have plenty really.

Maybe some craft kits, but it seems like most of them make one thing, and then it's done. Hmmmm, maybe jewelry making?

I am going to teach her how to sew, but just with my machine for now.

Curious about a Nintendo DS. She's not into gaming per se, but maybe just hasn't been exposed to it. Should I consider that? Does it have any redeeming value?

Any other good 9/10yo girl gift recommendations would be great!!!

When our dd turned 9, she wanted her room redecorated. She didn't want pink flowers anymore. She wanted aqua and lime green, with a tropical theme. We had fun making curtains with raffia tie-backs, and shopping for bedding and wall decorations and such, all tropical.

When she turned 12, she wanted a flower garden outside her window, so I got flowering perennials that attract butterflies and hummingbirds. She loves it.

Maybe you could think along those lines, instead of toys.

My 9 year old daughter likes her MP3 player; she has a Barbie girl one because that's what she wanted last year. It is loaded with songs she likes from a few artists.

She also LOVES Webkinz and is always happy to acquire more.

For books, she's discovered and loves the Warriors series...she can't get enough of them right now.