Menu

Never thought I'd be asking this...

hmschooling

...but dh says I need to find a way to combine HOD with my kids or find something else I can combine them in. I love, love, love HOD! I am starting LHFHG and Bigger this summer, and did LHTH and Beyond last year. I have ds5.5 starting K and dd8 starting 3rd, and a difficult 2.5yo and a new baby on the way, dh is a full time student, and things are not going smoothly for us all. He has offered to take more part in the schooling by taking over Science and Bible...so he's going to use Considering God's Creation (over 2 years) since it's once a week and he'll do Bible of some sorts with them daily.

If I can't do HOD I don't know what I'll do....That's where I need your help!

What I DO have figured out:

All basics, spanish, and latin/greek roots

Plus Science/Bible since DH is doing that.

I don't know if I want to do History, Geography, or Cultures focus for history...AND I don't know what program to use for a K and 3rd grader (then 1st and 4th, then 2nd and 5th then K,3rd,6th....). I need something planned out for me, is very inexpensive, and doesn't require many supp. books or library trips. I've done MFW and don't want to do that at this time. I want something with some hands-on, but easy to do and easy to gather things that you REALLY have on hand (I didn't find that to be the case for us with some curriculum, but it's gone well with HOD), MUST be from a Christian world-view, and follow a classical/Charlotte Mason style.

All I've got to say is don't try so hard. You could axe half that list, focus on the basics (reading, math, WWE), and be none the worse. Don't do more than you have to, combine for read alouds, and ditch the programs. If I had that many kids, I wouldn't do a thing more than what I'm doing. Each dc would get his own math and LA, but after that all the read alouds and content stuff would be together. You could toss that formal science and do nature walks with trail guides, look at the stars, grow tadpoles, read books from the library, etc., and be just as well off. You don't need fancy history or geography programs. Read the spine you like from that HOD core and TOSS ALL THE REST. You're overworking yourself for their ages, honest. And schedule yourself some serious jail/down time. Lock them in their rooms for an hour every afternoon so you can get some rest! :)

No disprespect meant to the previous poster, but WP will be harder than HOD, unless you do reading only, but then you can do that with HOD. I say dump LHFHG and do Bigger only. Let the little one listen in. The K-er needs only to do the 3 R's really. The older one should be able to read some of Bigger on her own. I've done both HOD and WP and HOD is much easier to implement and is a quicker daily course. The K-er should be able to do the projects as well minus the writing. Have the 3rd grader read to the K-er. I don't think you'll get much simpler than HOD. And who's to say it needs to be forever? Do it the first year and re-evaluate.

Edited by alilac

I don't know if I want to do History, Geography, or Cultures focus for history...AND I don't know what program to use for a K and 3rd grader (then 1st and 4th, then 2nd and 5th then K,3rd,6th....). I need something planned out for me, is very inexpensive, and doesn't require many supp. books or library trips. I've done MFW and don't want to do that at this time. I want something with some hands-on, but easy to do and easy to gather things that you REALLY have on hand (I didn't find that to be the case for us with some curriculum, but it's gone well with HOD), MUST be from a Christian world-view, and follow a classical/Charlotte Mason style.

I was under the impression that we were meeting the above requirements. Winterpromise does.

History Odyssey is not from a Christian Worldview, but it is planned out for you and requires very few supplemental books. Story of the World with the Activity book is very similar.

You might look at Tanglewoodeducation.com.

Hewitt Homeschooling has history readers that look promising.

Though in the end, I agree with OhElizabeth. You can have the hands on element elsewhere, it doesn't have to be history. If the OP is covering all that is in the first post, that is plenty!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

First, I agree with alilac and OhElizabeth.

Second, why does your husband want you to combine?

If you love HOD then I'd just use it. Just do the basics with your little one, and then do the storytime, Bible, poetry and history RA's with both of them (if your little one can sit for it). I'm combining 3 kids in Beyond this year. I'm going to try and do some parts of Bigger this fall and for a few months next year. Then I plan on using the new HOD Creation to Christ for my oldest who will be 11...I'm going to just fold my younger two (who will be 9 and 7)into that. I understand HOD's philosophy on having each child do age appropriate work, but at the same time I don't feel like it's necessary to have younger kids do history, science, etc. I'm doing what works for us. Hopefully the storytime will still keep my younger kids attention, and they will pick up on some of the history (I'm going for exposure here). What I really want to accomplish is to have my oldest go through the 4 year history cycle once before he begins high school.

Alison

I had a HOD revelation too. I LOVE HOD and am doing it right now, but I am thinking of just doing HOD and not LHFHG too. It is hard to combine.

Now I had a revelation of sorts that I thought I would share. I bought the book All Through the Ages by Christine Miller and I love it. What if I did Preparing and just picked a few books for my four year old and a few more from the grades 7-9 section to beef it up for my oldest?

I really think that using one volume and getting age-appropriate tie in books for the ages that fall outside the volume is my best bet for sanity. Bigger has a lot of fun painting and artsy activities that younger kids love.

My other suggestion are the planned guides from Simply Charlotte Mason. The guides are cheap ($15 for a printed copy, less for ebook) and are very Christ centered, purely CM and geared for grades 1-12! The one linked it for Creation to Egypt and then there is one for Greece and one for Rome. I love anything that Sonya Schafer produces. It is so simple to implement I am seriously considering trying it out even though I love HOD.

Another option is Queen Homeschool. I have ordered some their history and science guides and books and look forward to trying those also. They have some bible, vocabulary, map work, etc. worked in with each book and one book lasts for 4 weeks making it very doable with a houseful of activity. I love her other products so this should be no different.

Now I had a revelation of sorts that I thought I would share. I bought the book All Through the Ages by Christine Miller and I love it. What if I did Preparing and just picked a few books for my four year old and a few more from the grades 7-9 section to beef it up for my oldest?

Great idea!

I have looked at the SCM site and I'm on my way over to Queens now. I'll look at WP, but I think from what I hear, I'll have an easier time with just staying with my 2 HOD guides...but we'll see!

I'm thinking of just borrowing all the D'Aulaire books from our library (Columbus, Ben Franklin, Abe Lincoln, etc.) and let her read, read, read...including our books from Bigger, but not really doing all the activities. I'm not sure why but it's just so overwhealming right now to even do the basics, but I want school to stay fun so they keep their love of learning. They most love science and history and all the activities in HOD. Otherwise, our paints will never be used!

I'm not sure why but it's just so overwhealming right now to even do the basics, but I want school to stay fun so they keep their love of learning.
I know how that feels.:) From what I have seen of HOD, I don't really think WP would simplify anything. But it would meet your DHs requirement of combining.

Great idea!

I have looked at the SCM site and I'm on my way over to Queens now. I'll look at WP, but I think from what I hear, I'll have an easier time with just staying with my 2 HOD guides...but we'll see!

I'm thinking of just borrowing all the D'Aulaire books from our library (Columbus, Ben Franklin, Abe Lincoln, etc.) and let her read, read, read...including our books from Bigger, but not really doing all the activities. I'm not sure why but it's just so overwhealming right now to even do the basics, but I want school to stay fun so they keep their love of learning. They most love science and history and all the activities in HOD. Otherwise, our paints will never be used!

You are so right about the basics taking forever. By the time my kids have worked through math and English I'm ready to call it a day.:tongue_smilie:

I can't for the life of me figure out how to combine in HOD. Putting them both in Bigger with their own LA/math sounds great for this year, but then ds can't really deal Preparing with her the next year and it messes up long term plans...but if I back her up to meet him in LHFHG, then it messes up how she'll fall into the older guides and she won't hit the history cycle right at all, plus she needs the higher skill level and research etc. taught in Preparing and up.

If I combined him with dd it looks like this:

K and 3rd- Bigger, ds-Right side LHFHG

1st and 4th- Preparing, ds- right side Beyond (and not much of preparing's left side)

2nd and 5th- CTC, ds-right side Bigger

3rd and 6th- #2 new guide, ds-right side Preparing (Will also have a K'er and toddler this year)

4th and 7th- #3 new guide, ds-right side CTC

5th and 8th- #4 new guide for dd, but ds would need to start CTC now, but has already done the right side the previous year so I guess he would do the right side of #2 new guide

6th and 9th- dd starts high school with ancients, ds #2 new guide, right side of #3 (will also have a K'er and 3rd grader this year)

7th- ds #3 new guide, right side #4

8th- ds #4 new guide, on our own for right side stuff???

If I combine dd with ds, I run into similar problems with her...she'd only get into the first or second new guide by 8th grade.

I'm barely getting basics done right now...I just can't get motivated being pregnant and tired, a recent move, and coming off heart meds...I'm just not sure how to do all this and it just stresses me more! I could really start ranting if I keep typing so I'll spare you. LOL:lol:

Uh, that's why you're having a hard time, because you're pregnant, have several littles, and are trying to do too much! Seriously. :)

Are you telling us that HOD implies that if you don't do a different core level with each of your dc, you're shortchanging them??? If that's the case, if every single dc needs their own level, then abeka sure would be a faster way of getting there, mercy. That's just insanity. No 5 yo needs a core of anything. They need to learn to read, do some basic math, and hear some read alouds. It doesn't matter a particle what those read alouds are; they could be high school biology. Now as for the paints getting used, have you see Alphabet Art or any of the other Judy Press books? I'll bet if you simplified your schedule, took your school to bed, and cut it down to an hour a day max, you'd probably have some time left for that art. I spent the last months of my pregnancy doing recliner school, but school in bed works too. You really need to trim down. Some of those things, like the roots, would be just as effective (or more) later, when they could be done independently in a workbook rather than with something teacher-driven.

I repeat, you're guilt-tripping yourself WAY too much and trying to do too much. Do something for LA and math with the 8 and 5 yo's, but everything else is bonus. Really and truly! You said you like CM, so let it be enough. You haven't seen the threads where people finally admit that despite all their fancy teaching, their dc remember NOTHING of what they taught formally in those early years. All that history, all those lessons, gone, poof, from their little brains. The dc may remember some generalities or that they enjoyed the subject. They may remember a few things they specifically found interesting. That means it doesn't matter if you knock yourself out with cores or just read a book occasionally, they'll retain about the same. And you know what? Reading broadly covers a huge lot of sins in homeschooling. You could put MOH or SOTW on audio on each day and call it good, totally dumping the HOD. You could do nature walks for science with kits for your older and read the Let's Read and Find Out books to your 5 yo.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Uh, that's why you're having a hard time, because you're pregnant, have several littles, and are trying to do too much! Seriously. :)

Are you telling us that HOD implies that if you don't do a different core level with each of your dc, you're shortchanging them??? If that's the case, if every single dc needs their own level, then abeka sure would be a faster way of getting there, mercy. That's just insanity. No 5 yo needs a core of anything. They need to learn to read, do some basic math, and hear some read alouds. It doesn't matter a particle what those read alouds are; they could be high school biology. Now as for the paints getting used, have you see Alphabet Art or any of the other Judy Press books? I'll bet if you simplified your schedule, took your school to bed, and cut it down to an hour a day max, you'd probably have some time left for that art. I spent the last months of my pregnancy doing recliner school, but school in bed works too. You really need to trim down. Some of those things, like the roots, would be just as effective (or more) later, when they could be done independently in a workbook rather than with something teacher-driven.

I repeat, you're guilt-tripping yourself WAY too much and trying to do too much. Do something for LA and math with the 8 and 5 yo's, but everything else is bonus. Really and truly! You said you like CM, so let it be enough. You haven't seen the threads where people finally admit that despite all their fancy teaching, their dc remember NOTHING of what they taught formally in those early years. All that history, all those lessons, gone, poof, from their little brains. The dc may remember some generalities or that they enjoyed the subject. They may remember a few things they specifically found interesting. That means it doesn't matter if you knock yourself out with cores or just read a book occasionally, they'll retain about the same. And you know what? Reading broadly covers a huge lot of sins in homeschooling. You could put MOH or SOTW on audio on each day and call it good, totally dumping the HOD. You could do nature walks for science with kits for your older and read the Let's Read and Find Out books to your 5 yo.

:iagree::iagree::hurray::hurray:

Give yourself a break - Listen to Elizabeth!!

Anne

Your schedule is what I do not like about the HOD boards, and I am not meaning to insult anyone there. I know they are a great bunch and I've received alot of wisdom, but the push is for you to use all of those great guides. That's wonderful for them, but I'm in the other camp. So, I think you should drop worrying about any of it for your youngest.

Your oldest is the one who needs to be prepared for high school the quickest. Use Bigger and the subsequent programs with the oldest. For the youngest, do what you can...but start with the basics. That goes for the oldest also. For all ages make sure you are getting those basics done. Your oldest can actually do history and science by reading books (worse case scenario), ditto on the Bible. Just start with that and don't look any further.

Alison

Hi,

I personally don't see why you can't combine them all into LHFHG. I have actually done this this past year with my K, 1 & 3rd grader. If you already have the Bigger Manual, you can use that for the right hand side (giving them their own language arts & math) or use your own. Your dh can use Considering God's Creation for Science instead of the scheduled science as planned (CGC is easier for combining anyway) and use LHFHG for History spine. There is a list of books in the back of Little Hearts that you could have your older daughter read and narrate from to beef up the history. The first half of Little Hearts is Bible anyway, so just have your older daughter read from the Bible or a Childrens Bible more appropriate for her age. Then next year if you feel up to it, you can split them again; your younger in Beyond and your older either in Bigger or Preparing.

Just my thoughts and .02. I honestly don't think you will find a simpler, more open and go curriculum than HOD, and you know you love it and it works for your family.

HTH's

Your schedule is what I do not like about the HOD boards, and I am not meaning to insult anyone there. I know they are a great bunch and I've received alot of wisdom, but the push is for you to use all of those great guides. That's wonderful for them, but I'm in the other camp. So, I think you should drop worrying about any of it for your youngest.

Your oldest is the one who needs to be prepared for high school the quickest. Use Bigger and the subsequent programs with the oldest. For the youngest, do what you can...but start with the basics. That goes for the oldest also. For all ages make sure you are getting those basics done. Your oldest can actually do history and science by reading books (worse case scenario), ditto on the Bible. Just start with that and don't look any further.

Alison

Alison,

:D Just read your post after I posted mine! This is a great alternative also!

You're all giving me great ideas! Thanks and I need to hear that it's okay to relax and still okay even if I don't get anything more than basics done. We have testing for dd this coming school year, and it's the first time...so I think that is weighing me down some. Knowing we'll be breaking from November til January or so, then she has to test in April. She reads and reads so I do think I'll just let her read for history this year and we'll try to have once a week of artsy stuff. She WANTS to do the languages (the EFRU and Spanish) so that's kinda a reward for her.

I'm going to make it a rule that we get the basics done for both kids and if we have time, then we'll do some other stuff. I'll only do one read-aloud (likely ds's from the Thornton Burgess books b/c it's a level they can both narrate from and it's quick for me!) and then they can listen to audio books at rest time and draw a picture of what it was about. They love audio books and love to draw. If we have to skip an activity then so be it, if we only get math, grammar, and reading/phonics, then so be it.

They don't push that you have to do all those guides on the HOD boards, it's just they are so great you WANT to do them all! And they are quicker and easier than many other choices since it's so open and go and the activities are simple but effective...it's just too much for me right now! I've done MFW and that's not my cup of tea, and really you could do the exact same thing with HOD since the MFW has a true target age for teh older kids. I can't decide about now though, since I keep thinking about what I'll be doing next year. I'll try to unwind and you can all keep telling me your wonerful words of wisdom :001_smile:

If I could suggest, your dd8 is at an age where I wouldn't totally take off for 3 months, even with a baby. You need some kind of target plan, workbooks or something, that are 15 minutes a day and need no interaction from you. Just something to keep her writing and doing a fuzz of math each day. It could be a grocery store workbook for math and a handwriting book. Anything. Just don't take off 3 months with her like that. My dd was 9 this past year when the baby was born, and even a couple weeks after the birth we were able to get done 10-15 minutes of work a day. I'd add a Flashmaster or some form of math drill to that list by the way. Have her write something and do some math each day. That way things won't be so bad come April, and you won't be slugging uphill against things forgotten. ;)

You're all giving me great ideas! Thanks and I need to hear that it's okay to relax and still okay even if I don't get anything more than basics done. We have testing for dd this coming school year, and it's the first time...so I think that is weighing me down some. Knowing we'll be breaking from November til January or so, then she has to test in April. She reads and reads so I do think I'll just let her read for history this year and we'll try to have once a week of artsy stuff. She WANTS to do the languages (the EFRU and Spanish) so that's kinda a reward for her.

I'm going to make it a rule that we get the basics done for both kids and if we have time, then we'll do some other stuff. I'll only do one read-aloud (likely ds's from the Thornton Burgess books b/c it's a level they can both narrate from and it's quick for me!) and then they can listen to audio books at rest time and draw a picture of what it was about. They love audio books and love to draw. If we have to skip an activity then so be it, if we only get math, grammar, and reading/phonics, then so be it.

They don't push that you have to do all those guides on the HOD boards, it's just they are so great you WANT to do them all! And they are quicker and easier than many other choices since it's so open and go and the activities are simple but effective...it's just too much for me right now! I've done MFW and that's not my cup of tea, and really you could do the exact same thing with HOD since the MFW has a true target age for teh older kids. I can't decide about now though, since I keep thinking about what I'll be doing next year. I'll try to unwind and you can all keep telling me your wonerful words of wisdom :001_smile:

Sorry, maybe push is a bit strong of a word to use. I don't mean to insult ANYONE over there at all. I think Carrie has written an awesome product, and Julie and Carrie have given great advice. I guess it's my personal pet peave, I've just noticed that when people on their boards tend to inquire about combining, it's usually suggested that they A. look at the placement chart, then B. not combine but use a package that works for their own kids ages. I've seen this happen over and over again, and I think it's fine for those mom's who can pull it off, but not for others who want to stay on one time period with history, or who just can't manage doing seperate guides. If I went by the placement chart, I"d be using 3 different guides right now with mine, and reading aloud 3 different storytimes. However, I am also able to admit that in the future when my oldest is way more independent, then I might consider using more than one guide. I agree to never say never.

You've gotten some good advice on this thread and I hope everything works out really well for you.

Alison

What about doing Bigger at half pace, spending two years on it? Would your younger ds be ready for Preparing at the end of two years? Just another idea. I wouldn't recommend WP for you because of the expense.

He's only 5.5 now, and would only be 7.5 then and in 2nd grade. Plus dd is really ready for Preparing now. I'm not sure he'd be ready since we're just doing K now...

I found all the D'Aulaire biography books at my library!! So I got some extra books that went with each one...some on ds5's level and some on dd8's level. I think they'll enjoy it. They can do it on their own without me!

I'm considering using the Beautiful Feet Teaching Character Through Literature guide 1-2 times per week since I need to be reading aloud to them, and I can never think of good discussion questions.

I've got math covered for both, going to get BJU 3 handwriting for dd to review cursive and it has copywork that covers american history (perfect!), ds will either do BJU 1 or Italics A. Got grammar and spelling(dictation) for dd too. DS will do RME for phonics and spelling/copywork (it's part of the worksheets). And DH has Bible and Science covered.

Is that all the basics?

3rd grade: Cursive/Copywork, Math, Grammar, Dictation, read-alouds with narration....then science & Bible with dad

K: handwriting, math, phonics/"spelling", read-alouds with narration....then science & Bible with dad