Menu

Wanted: Your best and worst for educational "extras" - Board games, computer, etc.

KinderSafari

Guest booky

We have loved Leap Frog and our DS sounded letters out before he could sing the alphabet.

-It's A Match (by Discovery Toys)

-Tanagram puzzles (nothing like watching your 7 yr old son help his 3.5 yr old sister)

-Zingo!

Have yet to get into (for fear it is too hard)

-Rummikub

-Triominoes

Want to find:

-good math games that will help with math facts and real life math

I noticed that Blokus has been on several lists. Learningresources.com has two of the Blokus games on sale PLUS an additional 40% off through July 8th.

Blokus Trigon is $8.09

Blokus 3-D is $10.79

They also have lots of other great stuff on sale. Any of their sale items will automatically receive an additional 40% off once you place them in your cart.

If your order is $30-$200, use the following link to get $5.95 flat rate shipping: http://www.learningresources.com/category/teachers.do?code=PROMO-FSTAW9

Equate--the best 'math scrabble' I have ever seen

I second Equate as a game that is well worth getting. There are add on sets to make the game appropriate for many math skill levels. It will give your brain a real work out!

And, has anyone mentioned Quarto? It's a great game for thinking skills. Plus, if you get the wooden set, it's got great eye and touch appeal.

Regards,

Kareni

This is great! My eldest is only 4, so I can start putting some of these things people have listed on wish lists!

Our favorites:

• Kumon workbooks (I tear them to pieces and insert all the pages into page protectors--my dd loves doing them over and over and over...)
  • Realistic animal figurines from Lakeshore Learning
  • Continent puzzles by A Broader View
  • Jenga, dominoes, chess, 3D tic-tac-toe
  • Authors cards
  • Homemade Montessori-type manipulatives: toothpick dropping game (drop toothpicks into tall spice jar lid--my 2-4 year olds will play with this a lot); matching sound jars; homemade lacing cards; matching game made from frozen juice lids and stickers; symmetry cards (symmetrical/asymmetrical images cut in half or with a pin hole in the middle for spinning for discussions about symmetry
  • National Audobon Society identification books
  • Kenn Kauffmann bird identification book
  • binoculars
  • magnifying glass and magnifying jars for critters
  • box full of random musical instruments: tambourine, wooden drum, tin whistles, maracas, train whistles, egg shakers, rain sticks, etc.
  • sand boxes--1 for outdoors for playing in, 1 tiny one indoors for tracing letters and shapes
  • wooden train stuff
  • puzzles--especially one by Educa that does the alphabet and ones by Ravensbruk (high quality, engaging images)
  • The Toddler's Busy Book and The Preschooler's Busy Book
  • Childcraft Encyclopedia, including many of the annuals, sets from the 1980s (not dumbed down)

Stupidly simple, this has cut down on my hair loss (tearing):

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Little-Hands-Holder-Gamewright/dp/B000H236VQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1246851645&sr=8-6

And this game, which I don't play, but just use the cards....keep an eye out for it at Goodwill:

http://www.amazon.com/Fundex-8220-Phase-Card-Game/dp/B000JRBFYO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1246852086&sr=1-4

The cards come in 4 colors and range from 1-12, and you can play a LOT of math card games a la RS math with it. The cards are like real cards, not peices of paper that WILL NOT survive my son's hands.

Edited by kalanamak

I noticed that Blokus has been on several lists. Learningresources.com has two of the Blokus games on sale PLUS an additional 40% off through July 8th.

Blokus Trigon is $8.09

Blokus 3-D is $10.79

They also have lots of other great stuff on sale. Any of their sale items will automatically receive an additional 40% off once you place them in your cart.

If your order is $30-$200, use the following link to get $5.95 flat rate shipping: http://www.learningresources.com/category/teachers.do?code=PROMO-FSTAW9

Thanks, leaird! The link didn't work, but I copied and pasted it and it did then. I got a couple extra Blokus Trigons for gifts.

We love the clear plastic tablecloth cover idea as well.

This is a list of what we've put under it over the last year:

US maps

Maps of states we plan to visit

Complicated puzzles we've done

Map of shipwrecks of the Great Lakes

Daily calendar pages - from Cranium - had puzzles, or quiz to do on each day

Christmas cards

Pictures people sent us - especially family pictures of relatives we rarely see

Posters of other things - copy of the Constitution, etc.

So, where do you get the clear plastic tablecloths? Do you buy them prepackaged somewhere, or do you get them off a bolt at the fabric store?

We like the classics the best ;). Dominoes, regular playing cards, checkers, chess, scrabble, yahtzee, jig saw puzzles, charades, cribbage, mancala (huge hit). We do have some of the newer 'educational games' which we enjoy but the the classics are always the first off the shelf.

I don't know if this fits in "extras" but lots and lots of craft and art items. We keep a big basket full of empty boxes, scraps of fabric, etc.

But I have to recommend Magformers to EVERYONE! They are a total hit with kids of all ages, and especially great for boys who love to build but are little and might not have the patience/dexterity for other building toys. The wheels set is a must! Get as big of a set (or multiple sets) as you can justify spending the $$ on.

What are some of your favorite extra educational items you use in your house? (Or items you wished you hadn't spent the money on?)

Board games?

Computer games?

Manipulatives?

Educational puzzles?

Etc.

Board Games:

S'Math, Monopoly for Kids, Monopoly, Life, Clue, Mancala, Fluxx, Pandemic, Mille Borne, Dominoes, Checkers, Apples to Apples, Tiki Topple, Scrabble, Othello, Backgammon, Connect 4, Amazing Labryinth, Mastermind for Kids, Spywire, Guess Who?, Pick and Pack

Computer Games:

Hits: Cluefinders, Zoombinis, Pajama Sam, Freddie Fish, Putt-Putt, Math Blaster, Zoo Tycoon, Pit Droids, Hoyles Card Games

Manipulatives:

Pattern Blocks, legos, rocks & minerals

Puzzles:

Junkbot at the Lego website

Etc.:

Deck of playing cards, scouting supplies, Ed Zaccarro, microscope, student quality colored pencils

My son taught himself to read at an early age on the computer using Read Rabbit, phonics, etc. He also really liked the old Math Blaster games.

Currently he really enjoys playing Element-O and Wordopoly. Also has fun with geography card games.

• 2 weeks later...