Menu

Anyone do spelling on their own (without a "packaged" program)?

mindygz

If so, what do you do? We are on a super tight budget and spelling seems to me like something we could do okay with on our own, with the help of the internet. Anyone have list/website recommendations? Anythings I should be sure to include? Daughter is 2nd grade this year, but we're a bit behind in reading/writing, so we are going to be starting with first grade stuff.

Thank you!

Mindy

I have lots of great free programs linked. My online spelling lessons and Pollard or Easy Steps for Spelling are probably best for that age. If the spelling lessons move to fast, you can do the phonics lessons instead--they have a lot of spelling and all the spelling rules in the spelling lessons.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellingforsucce.html

One year I focused on copywork and dictation for spelling. I took examples from their readers that were funny or expressive or good writing for some reason, and had them copy it on Monday. On Tuesday through Thursday, they identified the hard words to spell (I usually had my 3rd grader pick 5, that was plenty for her), and we talked about the patterns and why they were there. On Fridays I had them write the same passage from dictation (up to the point they had studied). This actually worked better for us than most spelling programs (also let me know I needed something more for them, but this helped them improve more than the previous programs we had tried). Hope you find something good to use!

Merry :-)

I second using copywork and dictation for spelling. You can access Dictation Day by Day First Year on google books for free. At this age, I'd let her study the passage well, then say it to her, have her repeat it, then have her write it. She could then check her work and make corrections. If she missed ANYTHING, do it again.

I second using copywork and dictation for spelling. You can access Dictation Day by Day First Year on google books for free. At this age, I'd let her study the passage well, then say it to her, have her repeat it, then have her write it. She could then check her work and make corrections. If she missed ANYTHING, do it again.

Thank you for mentioning these. I found the 2nd through sixth years, but I didn't find the first, can you give a link to it?

THANK YOU for posting about Dictation Day by Day! I was going to purchase Spelling Wisdom to do dictation this year for our spelling program, but this looks just as good! I'm looking at the fourth grade one-looks super! Thanks!

The tls worksheets look good too for younger ds-thanks!

Another suggestion for you-We have not done a spelling program for a couple years with older dd-she is a natural speller. I just collect words from her writing that she needs work on, and use them as spelling lists-once a week or so I have her write the word I call out on the whiteboard and if she gets it wrong, she has to write it in her notebook 5 times, and it stays on my master list each week til she gets it right. This has been very effective and FREE!