Menu

Simplest way to teach math to 4 yo and 5 yo together?

ElizaG

I'd like to start doing combined math lessons for my daughter, who's five, and my son, who's almost four. They're both advanced readers; DD is around a 4th/5th grade level, and DS is around late K/1st. They also seem to have an affinity for math (DS especially), though they haven't learned a lot yet, as I've had trouble finding a teaching method that works for our family. We also have a 21 month old and a newborn, so time and sanity are at a premium around here. :tongue_smilie:

Here's our math curriculum saga so far (starting when DD was 3):

1) Montessori -- my favorite, but we just don't have the space to display and use a good selection of the materials, especially with toddlers in the house.

2) Right Start -- the scripted lessons and spiral approach didn't seem to work for us. I couldn't seem to figure out how to adapt the lessons to get the pace right for DD alone, and it's no easier to manage with two children.

3) Singapore -- this is working well for DD right now, but DS doesn't have the fine motor skills for all the writing, coloring, pasting, etc. I can see us coming back to it in a year or two, but at this age, he'd do much better with oral work or manipulatives.

4) Professor B -- this is a great program, and seemed as if it would be perfect for us, but DS is finding it slow and difficult to make the numbers in a variety of ways with his chubby little fingers. I know they don't have to make all of the combinations, but he's really pretty limited in what he can do, so he tends to get focused on his fingers and distracted from the actual math part. He's been getting frustrated by not being able to match what DD and I are doing.

So... now what? Other than wanting to avoid a spiral approach, and not wanting anything workbook-based for DS, I don't really have a strong preference for a particular teaching method. DH and I were both very strong math students, and we were raised on plain old public school textbooks, with the teacher explaining things at the chalkboard. In hindsight, our math classes weren't challenging enough, but that wasn't the fault of the curriculum itself -- more the fact that we weren't able to work at our own pace. So I sort of wonder if the choice of curriculum is all that important for advanced learners. In theory, I'd prefer to emphasize understanding rather than rote learning, but even if we went for the latter approach, I think my children would be able to get the big picture on their own, as my husband and I did at their age.

I've been considering Math-U-See and Ray's Arithmetic (how's that for diverse?), and would also appreciate other suggestions. Of course, as a math lover myself, I'd be very happy to supplement our chosen program with Montessori manipulatives, "fun math" books, RS games, etc. But we do need some basic structure for our lessons, or I know from experience that they won't get done. With four young children, spontaneity doesn't work without a lot of advance planning. ;)

We're using MUS (Primer) with my just-turned-6yo and my almost-5yo right now. In the fall, because my older one is more advanced in mathematical thinking, I'm going to go ahead and move him into Alpha and let his little brother follow us, having fun in Primer. We love it. The kids don't realize that they aren't doing the same thing. (They are both using the same book, but are in two totally different places. It's important to me that they EACH work at their OWN level, not to keep them together for the sake of keeping them together. Using the same curriculum throughout their school years limits the materials we need, and that's enough.)

My 6yo is a non-workbooky kid to the maximum. I do most of his out loud, and then to make sure he has the writing part I'll have him do a couple of problems. Sometimes he'll do them in the book, and sometimes it means less opposition if I let him do them on the dry-erase board instead. (And sometimes he builds numerals with legos and "writes it out" that way! Another idea would be refrigerator magnets or the like.)

Anyway. We're having a blast with math here. :) HTH!

Thanks! :) Just to clarify, I don't expect them both to be working on exactly the same material in the long term. It's just that they're both pretty much at a K level right now -- since DD has only done a little formal math, and DS has figured out a lot of things on his own -- so I think it makes sense to start them at the same place, then make adjustments as needed.

What I'm hoping to avoid is a situation where DS understands the concepts, but isn't capable of joining in the activities due to his motor skills, attention span, etc. That's pretty much where we are right now.

2) Right Start -- the scripted lessons and spiral approach didn't seem to work for us. I couldn't seem to figure out how to adapt the lessons to get the pace right for DD alone, and it's no easier to manage with two children.

This sounds like our experience with RightStart. I recently bought the Activities for the AL Abacus and I think it will work much better. That would be my suggestion. The same activities without the scripted lessons and you chose the pace with the topics that your dc are ready for.

That's pretty much where we started, too. My older ds has progressed more rapidly through the material than my younger ds (who is still working on counting to 20). Honestly, I'd probably keep even the older in Primer except that when he does stop and do math (which isn't often, admittedly), he runs lightening-fast through it and will do 3 full lessons - demonstrating mastery - in a single sitting. So that's why we're moving him to Alpha.

I've found MUS Primer to be a fantastic introduction to math, in a fun and non-pressure environment. And the kids will come and do it because they know that after Math they get to play with the blocks. :D It's been great fun, and seeing how my older one (finishing up Delta) is doing with it, I'm happy to stick with MUS for the forseeable future.