Menu

Need help finding a spanish program

AuntPol

I have a rising 4th and rising 5th grader.They had Spanish twice a week in school and already know greetings, colors, numbers, etc so we don't need anything for real little kids.

We tried Rosetta Stone this year. They both found it tedious and didn't retain much. However, I had them do it on their own and we were not consistent enough for me to give up on it completely. I also didn't have a workbook. I could give it another try and have them do it with me at their side so they are more apt to progress.

There seems to be a lot of choices but hard to find consistenty in reviews.

You might take a look at http://www.learnspanishtoday.com ---it's the site for Visual Link Spanish. My dd didn't like Rosetta but she played with the samples at the site and picked it up very quickly. I rec'd an e-mail from them last week with a link to purchase the program for $89.99. If you like the program then I'd sign up for their e-mails bec my undertanding is that they send out promos often.

I admit that I am wholly unimpressed by the textbook, but my rising 5th grader has just started the Calvert Spanish I course. The book is a no-longer-used-anywhere-else (best as I can tell) textbook of the "public school" type. (outdated version, in other words) The pages are cluttered with distracting pictures -- think "Usborne does Spanish with photos instead of line drawings". The textbook is En Espanol (sorry, no tilde on my keyboard!) from McDougal-Littell. (sp?)

I wanted "canned" lesson plans, which Calvert provides. I speak Spanish, so teaching is no problem.

What I was pleasantly surprised by is the good quality of the accompanying audio. Very clear enunciation, and easy to follow !

The course comes with textbook, workbook, and optional CDs. I skipped the expensive CDs because enrolling in the course gives access to online audio of the same.

Edited by Orthodox6

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using Tell Me More Spanish with my 13yo this year. I really like the program and so does she, but I think it's geared for 8th grade and up. I can see some 7th graders doing well with it, but it probably wouldn't work very well younger than that.

We tried Rosetta Stone, but it didn't work at all for us. Using a picture to show meaning works just fine for "ball" and "red ball", but not for "I would like to make a reservation for Thursday at 7:00."

I use this one with my 12 year old daughter and she likes it. http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Now-Level-1-CDs/dp/0764177745/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247099338&sr=8-1 It has a fun approach and it does a good job covering grammar and vocabulary without getting too bogged down. :) I bought mine without the cd though so I cannot comment on it, but I like the book a lot. :)

I've heard good reviews of So You Really Want to Learn Spanish, from Galore Park, but I don't know if the pace would be too fast for 4th and 5th graders. You could do a search on the board for old discussions.

Laura

This is the one that I am leaning towards for my rising 5th grader. We speak Spanish, but ds still needs the formal education. I think you could easily slow down if you need to. It seems to be the most complete coarse I have found, and the only one that I feel will lead to them reading, speaking and writing well in Spanish. This is a very important goal for us since we are in Mexico.

Danielle

I've heard good reviews of So You Really Want to Learn Spanish, from Galore Park, but I don't know if the pace would be too fast for 4th and 5th graders. You could do a search on the board for old discussions.

Laura

I can't seem to find a good place to get information and to purchase it in the States...any ideas?

Thanks,

Angela

I can't seem to find a good place to get information and to purchase it in the States...any ideas?

Thanks,

Angela

The books are available in the US from http://www.horriblebooks.com (Ray may have some on hand - otherwise he orders periodically in batches) or direct from the UK with free shipping from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk. I've used BD several times; service has always been excellent and very swift.

On the publisher's website there should be samples.

Best wishes

Laura