Menu

What music do your DC listen to?

Kiddo just finished listening to "Love, Reign O'er Me" by the Who, passed up Warren Zevon (whom he loves) to settle on "Your Own Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode.

Honest - I'm not trying to have him relive my childhood! He has come up with this all by himself.

Anyone else amazed at their kid's taste in music?

a

Ds likes rock, old rock like Ozzy to modern Christian Rock. Dh and I were both into fairly heavy metal as teens so it is funny for us to hear it coming from him now. He really likes about anything except for vulgar rap.

My two are 7 so some of what they listen to is nudged by me. My daughters current favorites are: Cats, the Broadway musical, any types of classical music, Neil Diamond, and some of the current music.

My son listens to about the same thing.

We are on a Cats and other Broadway musicals kick right now. It's funny how they can't say guitar correctly, they say batar, but they can say: Magical, Mystical Mr. Mistoffolees correctly. LOL

Yeah, dd (almost 9) is still into Miley, Cheetah Girls, Jonas Bro, HSM 1,2,3. I wish she'd branch out more, but I'm not sure what to get her that won't have questionable lyrics. Suggestions? DH wants her to get into Beatles or Elvis Costello or something, but she won't have any part of it!;)

I'd also like to get my son into music, but he's only 4. Been thinking about getting him some CD's for his b.day this summer. He has a player in his room and he likes that independence. He loves Imagination Movers on tv, wondering if they have an album out. And he likes They Might Be Giants.

I have a soft spot for Neil Diamond. Don't think kiddo has heard him yet, though...

Ozzy - yeah, I actually realized this morning that we had no Ozzy or Black Sabbath (perish the thought!). We do have a bunch of Creed. I need to look around and see if we have any Alice Cooper or Meatloaf. I did convince DS to get Emerson Lake and Palmer. He wasn't too sure until I pointed out the incredibleness (sp?) of the music arrangements...

a

Yeah, dd (almost 9) is still into Miley, Cheetah Girls, Jonas Bro, HSM 1,2,3. I wish she'd branch out more, but I'm not sure what to get her that won't have questionable lyrics. Suggestions? DH wants her to get into Beatles or Elvis Costello or something, but she won't have any part of it!;)

If she likes Females, maybe Kate Bush? Not all of her songs, but most of them would be appropriate. She has such an attractive voice, it is hard *not* to listen to her.

There is also a relatively young new country star who has "crossed over" to pop who is quite good. I can't remember her name for the life of me right now...

a

Our kids pretty much listen to what we listen to. Haven't even introduced Hannah Montana, Jonas Bros, etc... and don't plan on it.

DD5 loves opera. Yep. Oh, and classical and jazz.

DD3 loves any classical music that is "quiet".

When DH is in charge of the car radio it's classic rock, and the girls tolerate it for a while.

There is also a relatively young new country star who has "crossed over" to pop who is quite good. I can't remember her name for the life of me right now...

a

Taylor Swift maybe? Her lyrics are a lot about high school and boyfriends and such. But so is HSM! And dd definitely likes bubble gum pop, so maybe I'll get Taylor Swift.

We have Beatles, Cash, Dylan fans.

Bruce Springstein, WEEN, Last of the Mohicans, Irish dance music, International House of Prayer worship music to name a few.

Beethoven, U2 as well.

They pretty much have only been exposed to what we listen to and from that they pick and chose. The 8 year old boy loves his poppas System of the Down and punk rock.

I love music so much.

fun thread.

My dd (12) just recently discovered The Beatles on her own. She loves the song Eleanor Rigby. She also likes jazz fusion (my fault) and Joe Satriani (my fault again). My son also loves Joe Satriani and always dances when I put him on. He is Autistic but he has a few words and whenever we are in the car he will call out the number of the track he wants to hear. He loves track 8 "Ceremony" from Joe Satriani. :)

WE listen to a wide variety but none of mine have ever liked any teeny bopper music like Miley, Jonas Brothers, etc. I know that my middle took cds of Johnny Cash, ABBA, Mozart, and some compilation of techno with her to her mission trip. Youngest listens to Euro techno, disco, trumpet heavy pieces, Christian music from AUstralia and England. Both loved going to see Pirates of the Penzance and are looking forward to NSO concerts soon but also to the B52s.

My ds has well diversified taste. Led Zepplin, Todd Rundgren, Toby Mac, Superchick, Big Band, and Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack. He has also discovered Ironman and the Godzilla song. We've had to break it to him that those are not new songs.

If he is in the car with me he gets Christian Rock, when he is out with dh they usually come home singing Robert Plant.

I blame it all on Guitar Hero! :D

Our 9 year old LOVES classic rock!!! He loves Ozzy ... AC/DC ... Zeppelin .. Rush. It's a hoot! It's a flashback for me and a "newly discovered band" for him!

We were at my brother's house for a picnic last year. "Slow Ride" came on the radio and my son cried, "This is my favorite Foghat song!" My brother turned to him and said, "You're 8! You shouldn't have a favorite Foghat song!" ;)

All dc listen, by choice, to all of the following (not in any ranking):

Orthodox Christian liturgical music

Celtic music (traditional vocal and instrumental, not "pop-ish" types)

Assorted other folk/traditional music -- including German "oom-pah band"

Classical music (all periods, all groupings -- solo, chamber, orchestral, wind band)

Scott Joplin

Spike Jones

PDQ Bach

selected movie soundtracks

Only the eldest (22-1/2 yo) listens to classic rock -- which I introduced him to. He, in turn, provided me with the coolest CD -- "Four Cellos Plays Metallica" !

DD (10 yo) and I like the "older" musicals.

Edited by Orthodox6

Timely thread! Just yesterday, we were sitting in Moe's eating an early dinner, and DD6 said to me, "I have GOT to get some Simon & Garfunkel on the next Bella's Mix CD!"

I'm careful about lyrics but comfortable with a certain level of explaining, so we have been listening to some mainstream music lately. DD6 has recently taken over my Kelly Clarkson CD (not the new release, the one before it, can't think of the name--Break Away, maybe?) and can be heard rocking out to it in her room most days. She loves that Taylor Swift song that's all over the radio, but I haven't investigated more of that for her yet. She also likes one of the older Dido albums we play (Life for Rent, I think). She's generally a fan of most kinds of mainstream "chick pop" that she's heard--Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne, some older Madonna, even some Katy Perry that we've accidentally been exposed to (doh! I was able to cough strategically through that one, and we've avoided it since--too bad, since I like some of her music). We have a local radio station that bills itself as safe to listen to as a family and plays a good selection of soft rock and cleaner pop, so we like to have that on when we listen to the radio. My DH is a fan of the old, fun 80s/early 90s freestyle that we listened to in high school, so he prescreens that for her and makes her mix CDs.

That's where we are these days, and may I just say that, while I do love Laurie Berkner and Ralph's World, I am so relieved to be free of the chains of children's music. Now, if I could just get them into the Indigo Girls and Duncan Sheik, I'd be a very happy camper. I'll take what I can get though!

Edited by melissel

My kids are 4 and 5. They will sing along if they hear a Hannah Montana or Jonas Brothers song on the radio, but they don't ask for it. They both like the Beatles, lots of musicals (especially Seussical and Annie), Grieg, and anything they recognize from listening to the Beethoven's Wig cds. DH plays lots of Hawaiian music, which they also enjoy. I keep Pandora on a lot of the time and have noticed that dd always shouts "Hey, I like this!" just as I am about to mark that I don't like something.

I have made it a point to surround my kids with great music (all kinds). We listen to everything from Punk to Classical. As long as it's well crafted, and there is substance, then it's cool with me. I have had other adults comment on the music tastes of my kids, surprised they did not like usual teen top 40 pop crap like the Jonas Brothers, etc. I say, why listen to them when you have folks like Bon Iver, Yael Naim, or Dj. Danger Mouse. There is a ton a great music, you just need to dig a little to find it.

I have made it a point to surround my kids with great music (all kinds). We listen to everything from Punk to Classical. As long as it's well crafted, and there is substance, then it's cool with me. I have had other adults comment on the music tastes of my kids, surprised they did not like usual teen top 40 pop crap like the Jonas Brothers, etc. I say, why listen to them when you have folks like Bon Iver, Yael Naim, or Dj. Danger Mouse. There is a ton a great music, you just need to dig a little to find it.

Out of curiosity, what makes it crap? I know everyone's tastes are subjective, so you're entitled to your opinion (of course!), and there's lots of music out there that I hate, and that makes me twitchy to listen to (DH's Yanni CDs come to mind *shudder*). I find Yael Naim irritating. So what makes one kind of music crap and another kind substantive? (I'm not being snarky, I promise. Just wondering!)

Out of curiosity, what makes it crap? I know everyone's tastes are subjective, so you're entitled to your opinion (of course!), and there's lots of music out there that I hate, and that makes me twitchy to listen to (DH's Yanni CDs come to mind *shudder*). I find Yael Naim irritating. So what makes one kind of music crap and another kind substantive? (I'm not being snarky, I promise. Just wondering!)

I find the more commercial over played stuff lacks substance. I'm not a big Yael Naim fan either (dd is), but she at least writes her own music, etc. Many of the "teen pop" favs can't sing live w/o lots of technical help. Others have written their songs/music for them. They are just cookie cutter mass produced musical junk food. There is a good bit of adult music that I would say is the same as well. I guess "crap" is too strong a word, I should say it's more fluff, mind-candy, not nourishing to the mind nor soul.

I find the more commercial over played stuff lacks substance. I'm not a big Yael Naim fan either (dd is), but she at least writes her own music, etc. Many of the "teen pop" favs can't sing live w/o lots of technical help. Others have written their songs/music for them. They are just cookie cutter mass produced musical junk food. There is a good bit of adult music that I would say is the same as well. I guess "crap" is too strong a word, I should say it's more fluff, mind-candy, not nourishing to the mind nor soul.

Good points, thanks for your response!

We were at my brother's house for a picnic last year. "Slow Ride" came on the radio and my son cried, "This is my favorite Foghat song!" My brother turned to him and said, "You're 8! You shouldn't have a favorite Foghat song!" ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Hey, I went to a Foghat concert.... (it was great! they were there with Cheap Trick).

a

My DD9 likes Carrie Underwood (has loved her since Idol), Natalie

Grant, High School Musical songs, The Coats (local a capella group), Third Day, and certain select songs like "Dance with Cinderella", "Butterfly Kisses", and "Let Them Be Little".

My DS7 likes Carrie Underwood, High School Musical, The Coats, Third Day (Revelation album), and the same select songs listed above.

Our eldest, Aaron, love music and listens to Christian contemporary (from Mark Schultz to Relient K), soundtracks like Braveheart and Gods and Generals, Celtic, Classical, Renaissance and Medieval. He has quite a variety, I think.

Nathan does not like much music. He likes the Spirit soundtrack, some John Denver, some Rich Mullins, Christmas music, and hymns like Holy, Holy, Holy and And Should it Be That I Should Gain. Oh, and songs from The Hobbit. He chooses audio books over music, though.

Ben loves music as well and loves Veggie Tales, Christmas music, and almost anything I play. He likes "groove-it" songs (his name for peppy music with rock/beat). Right now we are listening to a Vineyard album, and he's over there trying to harmonize with songs he's never heard of -- so cute. He never chooses audio books over music. His MP3 player has Veggie Tales, Cedarmont kids, Christmas music, and Rich Mullins.

Just for a different perspective, we don't really listen to much music. I may have the kids listen to something as a tie in to our history lessons; we occasionally listen to some religious songs -- there's a wide variety these days (from traditional, to various different cultures/languages to rap). The kids seem to like the more traditional Arabic folk-type songs (not so much the Lebanese or Egyptian pop music, lol). They usually prefer audio books, my oldest even likes listening to the news or talk radio/lectures.

My kids are all over the place. They like Broadway (especially Les Mis and Wicked soundtracks), hard rock (Metallica), the Beatles, classic rock, Christian rock (the only radio stations I let them listen to are the two Christian rock stations in our area. The DJs on the other stations was waaaaaaaaay too raunchy for them to listen to without my being right there in the same room)...

Basically, if it rocks and it's loud - they're happy. :laugh:

I don't "allow" any Miley Cyrus, DisneyPop, Jonas Brothers, etc in the house. My ears cannot take it. At all. :blink: My poor kids, honestly, don't even know who they are. It's one of my favorite things about homeschooling.... :rofl:

edited to add: They DO have the High School Musical soundtracks on CD. For some reason, those don't annoy me. Go figure. lol Those are also the only teeny-bopper movies they've seen. lol

I see in my 12 yo's media player:

Bob Marley

Bobby McFerrin (no *idea* where that came from :confused:)

The Boundary Water Boys (:confused:)

Bruce Springsteen

All three Pirates of the Carribean soundtracks

Both recent Batman soundtracks

Jimi Hendrix

Beethoven

R.E.M.

Talking Heads

Warren Zevon

and last but certainly not least - Willie Nelson

We don't buy a lot of music either. DD loves to watch music in youtube whenever the mood strikes. Usually Twisted Sister, Alice Cooper etc. (Yes, I let my 8 yo listen to Alice :D.) ETA: My 5 yo loves classical music as does my oldest.

We don't listen to much music, either. I'll turn on the Christian radio station from time to time in the car, and dd likes some classical, but that's about it. My favorites used to be John Denver, Dan Fogelberg, James Taylor, Carla Bonoff, etc. I do like classic rock, but the lyrics just curl my toes now. Dh is all about the 60's and 70's--but I just don't want dd to be steeping in the "relationship" music. I will say it's better than the crap my son listens to--and I have no problem calling music that is so laden with drug-use references and s*x (one night stands, rough kind) exactly what I said. Ymmv.

We have a pretty broad range, classical/opera to punk... Alas, I am finding we have to be selective when picking music to share: Madama Butterfly is not so child appropriate (well, the music is fine, but the story, not so much for 8 and 4 year olds). Dead Kennedys? Yikes.

Mostly, they stick with the middle ground - Grateful Dead, Beatles, Lenny Kravitz, Bob Marley, J.S. Bach, Chopin, Cat Stevens, Talking Heads...

I can take certain "kid" music. I like Ralph's World ok, and the Barenaked Ladies kids' cd. (I think their ABC song is my new favorite... somebody set up an intervention!)

Ds likes rock, old rock like Ozzy to modern Christian Rock. Dh and I were both into fairly heavy metal as teens so it is funny for us to hear it coming from him now. He really likes about anything except for vulgar rap.

This sounds a lot like dd14.

She doesn't seem to have anything more recent than 1990 on her ipod right now! (I take that back - she has some Skillet and some other hard-ish Christian rock).

Her favs are: AC/DC, Queen, old-old REM, TMBG. She does have quite a bit of Daft Punk - I guess that's more recent. She listens to the Glee version of "Don't Stop Believin'" over and over! (I kind of like it, too, despite a visceral hatred of Journey:D)

the oldest and myself are sharing an obsession with Mastodon right now. i love heavy music that doesn't use tons of cursing; but instead poetic, thoughtful lyrics.

my youngest is a huge Clutch fan and an aspiring drummer. i've promised to try and bring him JP Gaster's drumsticks from the Clutch show me and the hubby are attending later this summer...

:)

My DD listens mostly to whatever DH and I listen to. Which tends to be a pretty wide range. Recently expressed favorites include Gwen Stefani (In particular, the song DD refers to as "The s--t song", Pink (It's pretty fun to turn up "So What?" on the radio and belt it out together), and Wagner's Das Rhinegold (we have a PBS recording of a performance of the opera she likes to watch).

When I think about it, I developed a taste for folk music via my mom's love of folk rock from the 60's, so it's not too surprising. DD gets a fair dose of that kind of thing, too, plus kids' music, and SCA filk/folk music.

Kiddo just finished listening to "Love, Reign O'er Me" by the Who, passed up Warren Zevon (whom he loves) to settle on "Your Own Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode.

Honest - I'm not trying to have him relive my childhood! He has come up with this all by himself.

Anyone else amazed at their kid's taste in music?

a

Ds likes all kinds of music. We listen to a pretty wide variety here. We all play various instruments and like to do the family music night/sing along thing. (How geeky is that, eh?)

The thing that makes me smile the most, though, is when ds cranks up the Ramones -- his favourite band ever. He begs his dad to show him the riffs for Ramones songs on the guitar. It is so cute! My little Baby Ramone.

My teen is listening to XTC as I type.

Recently listened to:

Leigh Nash/Sixpence None the Richer

Bombay Dreams

Idina Menzel

Enya

Spring Awakening

Once on This Island

Also likes:

Abba

Michael Crawford

Sarah Brightman

and many musicals

Regards,

Kareni

Also Lincoln Brewster, Skillet, Mark Shultz, Mercy Me, Toby Mac, Steven Curtis Chapman, and many, many others. They do listen to some secular music as well; I can't think of the names of many of the bands/singers, but they both like the Jonas Brothers. :D

The thing that makes me smile the most, though, is when ds cranks up the Ramones -- his favourite band ever. He begs his dad to show him the riffs for Ramones songs on the guitar. It is so cute! My little Baby Ramone.

RAMONES!

Love the Ramones.

And I need to get some XTC. My Echo and the Bunnymen music is around here... somewhere.

I showed him The Cramps yesterday... poor kid.

a

RAMONES!

Love the Ramones.

And I need to get some XTC. My Echo and the Bunnymen music is around here... somewhere.

I showed him The Cramps yesterday... poor kid.

a

I heard an XTC song the other day and remembered how great they are!

And you are really taking me back to my college days - we had a great music hall right off campus where we saw all of these bands!