Menu

Has Winter Promise changed much from 06-09?

The American Story 1 program has changed drastically since 2006. It was completely rewritten for the 2008 catalog to correspond with the new American Crossing program and to aim a bit closer to a younger elementary age. The original program was a bit higher in level. The "spine" changed, though the new spine isn't very spine-like. The old spine was DK American History Ency. The new spine is American Story: 100 True Tales. There are now fewer paper crafts. Northeast Indians, Southwest Indians, and American History Mini-books are three paper craft titles (Scholastic) which are no longer included. Now there is an Early American Trades and Crafts activity book (and soon to be re-introduced as a kit, I believe, as it was last year.) The 2006 version included an optional schedule for Hakim's Story of US volumes 1-5, while the new release has that plus Government available as a supplement for purchase for high school (but not included in the AS1 IG anymore).

As for my opinion on the two programs, we had both IGs and I chose to use the newer one. That's mostly because I was doing it with a second grader. If I were teaching an advanced 3rd grader or an older student I would likely have preferred the first version. HTH.

The American Story 1 program has changed drastically since 2006. It was completely rewritten for the 2008 catalog to correspond with the new American Crossing program and to aim a bit closer to a younger elementary age. The original program was a bit higher in level. The "spine" changed, though the new spine isn't very spine-like. The old spine was DK American History Ency. The new spine is American Story: 100 True Tales. There are now fewer paper crafts. Northeast Indians, Southwest Indians, and American History Mini-books are three paper craft titles (Scholastic) which are no longer included. Now there is an Early American Trades and Crafts activity book (and soon to be re-introduced as a kit, I believe, as it was last year.) The 2006 version included an optional schedule for Hakim's Story of US volumes 1-5, while the new release has that plus Government available as a supplement for purchase for high school (but not included in the AS1 IG anymore).

As for my opinion on the two programs, we had both IGs and I chose to use the newer one. That's mostly because I was doing it with a second grader. If I were teaching an advanced 3rd grader or an older student I would likely have preferred the first version. HTH.

That's good to hear. I just bought the 2006 set used, including the IG, I still need to buy a couple titles, but otherwise it was pretty mucha full set. I wondered how it was different from the new one out. I am combining it with core 3 and the first half of core 100 from SL (which used Hakim's history books so I am glad to hear the WP IG also includes it). I am using it with a 10 & 11 year old so the older version should work well right?

I think the 2006 edition will be a much better option for your dc, Brandy, especially if you add the Hakim books. The latest edition would probably be too "young" for them.

Which titles do you need to buy? If you list them, we might be able to tell you whether or not you can get by without them.

Cat

I think it should be fine for a 9yo. If you LOVE books and want to add more, you always have that option (we subbed some and added a couple... just for fun).

Brandy, since AS1 isn't your only program (you're using it alongside Core 3 and SL100), it should be fine. Usually I would recommend American Crossings for a 10 and 11yo if you were using just WP.

I think the 2006 edition will be a much better option for your dc, Brandy, especially if you add the Hakim books. The latest edition would probably be too "young" for them.

Which titles do you need to buy? If you list them, we might be able to tell you whether or not you can get by without them.

Cat

These are the titles I plan on getting based on the new listing in the catalog, I have no idea if they are actually scheduled in the 2006 IG I am getting so perhaps you ladies can help me figure out which ones are used.

"Make-Your-Own" American History book

If you lived in Colonial times

Colonial life

Benjamin franklin

If you lived at the time of the American Revolution

The revolutionary John Adams

Amazing, Inmpossible Erie Canal

The trail of tears

A pioneer sampler

Plains Indian Teepee village

More than moccasins

If you lived with the Hopi

"Make your own" Natice American book

Indian tribes of north america

Early American trades and crafts kit book

I'm looking into using Winter Promise American Story 1 next year. I was wondering if it has changed much from 2006 until now? If you've used any of the earlier versions, did you like earlier or current books and/or Instructor Guides better?

:glare:

We used the 2006 AW and AS 1 and enjoyed them a lot.

Heather

These are the titles I plan on getting based on the new listing in the catalog, I have no idea if they are actually scheduled in the 2006 IG I am getting so perhaps you ladies can help me figure out which ones are used.

"Make-Your-Own" American History book Y

If you lived in Colonial times N

Colonial life N

Benjamin franklin N

If you lived at the time of the American Revolution N

The revolutionary John Adams N

Amazing, Inmpossible Erie Canal N

The trail of tears Y

A pioneer sampler Y

Plains Indian Teepee village Y

More than moccasins Y

If you lived with the Hopi Y

"Make your own" Natice American book Y

Indian tribes of north america Y

Early American trades and crafts kit book N

The new AS1 spends more time on the Colonial days and the American Revolution, which is why there are so many new resources in those eras. The new spine also has a lot less text, so there is time to add those titles with the one-per-week American Story: 100 True Tales.

The new AS1 spends more time on the Colonial days and the American Revolution, which is why there are so many new resources in those eras. The new spine also has a lot less text, so there is time to add those titles with the one-per-week American Story: 100 True Tales.

Thank you, That will make my shopping much easier now that I know which ones I should get