Menu

Questions about MCT vocab and grammar

Danestress

Do I really need the teacher's manual? Or can we just use the student text? Or JUST the teacher's manual?

If I do it with two children, would they each need a student text?

There are rising 6th graders. I am thinking about doing Caesar's English II and Grammar Voyage, though I hate to skip Caesar's Voyage I. They did tell me on the phone that it would be okay to skip.

You only need the teacher's manual. It's the same as the student books, but with little tiny ovals with suggested discussion questions. The author thinks that if the student sees these, it "ruins the effect", but IMHO it'd be ridiculous to be sitting reading it with them with a book on my lap and one on theirs - and they'd be able to see my book anyway! The teacher book also has assignements at the back of the book.

I only bought one book for both my kids (I also have rising 6th grade twins). I envision having us sitting on the sofa all reading and discussing it together. Hope it works! I'm starting them at the Town level - I was pretty sure they could handle Voyage level in grammar and maybe the vocab, but the Essay book looked like a bit of a leap from what we've been doing and the Poetry book also looked like a lot if they hadn't done it yet... and the Poetry book looks so cool, I couldn't skip it. :D

The only book you need the student book for (one each) as well as the teacher manuals are the practice books, which are consumible.

You only need teachers manual. MCT's program is supposed to be done with a lot of discussion, the author suggested families to read together and discuss. I only have one to teach so we share the teachers manual during reading and discussion, I imagine you can sit in the middle and have your two dc sit on either side of you:001_smile:

The only thing you need student text for is the practice book if you want your students to write in it. I don't buy student text for the practice book because we do all four-level analysis orally, I just use a blank piece of paper to cover the answer.

HTH.

You could get by w/just the teacher's manual. I tried that w/my twins, and decided to buy a student book also. We do sit on the couch together and read the books, but they feel better doing this with a book in their own hands. I noticed that the font size gets smaller between the Town and Voyage series.

I just want to clarify this, as you didn't state what level you were looking at....

Grammar Island, Town, voyage and all the corresponding books with each of those levels you only require the Teacher Manuals (with the exception of the practice books where you need both).

BUT... in the higher levels, like Word within the word and magic lens, you will need the student text AND homeschool teacher's manual. The HS TM is cheaper than the normal TM. RFWP is very thoughtful with regards to HSers, and you can also call to double check on anything. They sell HS "packages" as well, ones with all books... ones with TM only and practice books.

I am still in the "town" series... but that is my understanding as you get into the next level.

Korin