Menu

Homeschooling non-English speaking/adopted children

We adopted two girls from Ethiopia in March 2007. They were 5 and 6 1/2 at the time. I tried figuring out how to school them for the first 6 months they were home but couldn't wrap my mind around it. We sent them to the local elementary school for Kindergarten and 1st grade. They received ESL and extra attention. The older has struggled a bit with reading but I think it's due to the English factor although she speaks very good English now. Her younger sister is reading very well. I am bringing them home for 2nd. They will be a bit disappointed because they had a good experience at school. I've missed them though and now feel confident teaching them. I think being surrounded by all the talking all day long was very good for their language development. I know I tend to not be a real talker and I don't think they would have had as much exposure. It also gave me good insight to our local public schools and they are actually pretty good.

I know it's not a popular choice but a person has to know their limitations. I'm happy with the choice I made and I'm looking forward to homeschooling them now that they have a better handle on the language.

I know of a lady who adopted an older child from the Ukraine. She (the dd) had very limited english knowledge, so the mom contacted her local Ukraine Society. She enrolled her daughter in traditional Ukraine dance classes, and found a great ESL tutor through them who came to the home weekly to help out and guide the mom and dd. A year and a bit later, things are great. The dd has mostly fluent speaking skills, and only needs a bit of help with reading and writing. She is only about 1-2 yrs behind her peers, which is saying a lot because she was 11 or 12 when she came home.

Is there some sort of cultural society in your area for whichever country you are interested in adopting from? They may be your ticket for maintaining cultural ties and acquiring some assistance with language. :001_smile:

In the end, our older adopted child (then 8) went to PS, while our son (then 4) stayed home.

Please be prepared to give at least 6 months to a year (or more) to just being a family, BEFORE doing a lot of schooling. If the child has been in an orphanage, they will be unlikely to meld seamlessly into life/school. They'll need time to adjust to the new foods, smells, cultural expectations, language, etc. And, if they don't know any English when you adopt them, it will take several months for them to become fluent enough to do much schoolwork.

When adopting an older child from a foreign country, the first concerns should be about preparing to help them integrate into the family (i.e. attaching) and about adjusting to their losses (previous family, birth culture/language, etc.) Decisions about school will be clearer when you've been home a while.

Be aware that many "ESOL" classes are not perfect for adopted kids. Our kids aren't like the typical ESOL kids, who go home to fluent, native speakers of another language and can speak in their first language WHILE they learn a new one. Instead, they lose their first language (which they may not speak fluently in the first place) and only acquire a new language after being in language limbo for a while. This period of time is very frustrating for the child (and the family), b/c the time between loss of first language and fluency in the second language is longer than you'd think.

Lisa

P.S. Please read everything you can about older child adoption. Speak with others who've done it. Find resources for attachment counseling, speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc., and locate a local or online support group before you bring a child home. Sometimes, these kids meld seamlessly into their new homes. MOST of the time, there's an long adjustment period. The more prepared and educated you are, the better. "Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best."

In the end, our older adopted child (then 8) went to PS, while our son (then 4) stayed home.

Please be prepared to give at least 6 months to a year (or more) to just being a family, BEFORE doing a lot of schooling. If the child has been in an orphanage, they will be unlikely to meld seamlessly into life/school. They'll need time to adjust to the new foods, smells, cultural expectations, language, etc. And, if they don't know any English when you adopt them, it will take several months for them to become fluent enough to do much schoolwork.

When adopting an older child from a foreign country, the first concerns should be about preparing to help them integrate into the family (i.e. attaching) and about adjusting to their losses (previous family, birth culture/language, etc.) Decisions about school will be clearer when you've been home a while.

Be aware that many "ESOL" classes are not perfect for adopted kids. Our kids aren't like the typical ESOL kids, who go home to fluent, native speakers of another language and can speak in their first language WHILE they learn a new one. Instead, they lose their first language (which they may not speak fluently in the first place) and only acquire a new language after being in language limbo for a while. This period of time is very frustrating for the child (and the family), b/c the time between loss of first language and fluency in the second language is longer than you'd think.

Lisa

P.S. Please read everything you can about older child adoption. Speak with others who've done it. Find resources for attachment counseling, speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc., and locate a local or online support group before you bring a child home. Sometimes, these kids meld seamlessly into their new homes. MOST of the time, there's an long adjustment period. The more prepared and educated you are, the better. "Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best."

Thanks for the help, we are learning a lot through various resources, and I am convinced it is not nearly as simple as I once thought it was. We appreciate your prayers.