Menu

Life of Fred Advanced Algebra

Is it really enough? My dd loved the looks of this online, and is thrilled with it now that it's here, but is it truly a complete course?

I may be having trouble believing it is because it just isn't a typical textbook (but I guess that's the point of LoF). Part of me just wants to buy a used Lial's Intermediate Algebra, just to have something on hand that is typical.

Necessary, or not?

My ds is using it this year, and is also using Singapore's NAM in parallel. We have done this parallel thing for Algebra I, Geometry, and now Alg. II. I just finished writing tests last week. LOF is complete, but IMO it needs more practice/problem sets. That's one reason I add NAM. But as far as concepts, yes, it is complete.

Hope this helps,

Karen

In some classes, mainly math, what consists of a credit is mastering a certain skill and knowledge level. What are enough problems for one child are not enough problems for another. Nobody, except pedantic bureaucrats, cares whether you need 10 problems to learn how to use the quadratic formula or whether you needed 100. (that is ALgebra I but just an example). My youngest gets the point in math very quickly. My middle works through it and needs many more problems. As someone indicated the Companion text provides lots more problems, if needed.

My ds is using it this year, and is also using Singapore's NAM in parallel. We have done this parallel thing for Algebra I, Geometry, and now Alg. II. I just finished writing tests last week. LOF is complete, but IMO it needs more practice/problem sets. That's one reason I add NAM. But as far as concepts, yes, it is complete.

Hi Karen,

I have NAM II and IIIA&B. The books didn't seem to cover Alg. II. Which book did you use parallel to LOF adv. Alg.?

Thanks so much,

Ruth

I have NAM II and IIIA&B. The books didn't seem to cover Alg. II. Which book did you use parallel to LOF adv. Alg.?

You are looking at NEM, not NAM. There is NEM I-IV, which covers basically Algebra I and Geometry. NEM = New Elementary Math

Then there is an entirely separate book, NAM, only one book, which covers more advanced algebra concepts and some trig and a tidbit of calculus. NAM = New Additional Math

Confusing as all get-out, isn't it? :)

Edited to add: Ooops, I just got out the book and looked at it again. It's actually New Syllabus Additional Mathematics, so I guess I should be using the acronym NSAM instead of just NAM ... :/

Hope this helps,

Karen

Edited by kpupg