Menu

Free Curriculum list

Chels~

Awesome List!!

I didn't see our current free favorite www.bookadventure.com

Reading comprehension quizzes with prizes. This is mainly for elementary-aged students.

ETA: I copied and pasted this from the top of their website.

Book Adventure is a FREE reading motivation program for children in grades K-8. Children create their own book lists from over 7,000 recommended titles, take multiple choice quizzes on the books they've read, and earn points and prizes for their literary successes. Book Adventure was created by and is maintained by Sylvan Learning.

Although I really hate the AR test system I like that the kids can choose to do this for fun! It is also a great resource for searching for books in your child's level about certain types of topics. Thanks!!!!:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm, yes, there does seem to be something wrong with the 3rd grade one. I remember having this problem myself. Let me see if I can play around with it and find it.

ETA: Through a messy Google search, I've managed to locate the links to each chapter via NCERT's website:

www.ncert.nic.in/books/c3/c3sse/c3sse01.pdf (1st)

www.ncert.nic.in/books/c3/c3sse/c3sse15.pdf

www.ncert.nic.in/books/c3/c3sse/c3sse24.pdf (last)

and so on just replace the number at the end for each chapter.

These seem to no longer work.

Chels, I am following you around from Amitys. :001_smile: I found a link for free video resources the other day www.hippocampus.org. Also I don't know if you are on the fb Amitys group but I was asking about you there the other day. I love this resource and love the shared google doc to keep up with it. Thanks for all the hard work.

I haven't been around much on Amity's since the new format and fb is well beyond me. I guess I am a bit behind the times.

I will make sure hippo campus is on the list. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I follow your blog via google reader :) . I enjoy reading your posts.

I haven't been around much on Amity's since the new format and fb is well beyond me. I guess I am a bit behind the times.

I will make sure hippo campus is on the list. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I follow your blog via google reader :) . I enjoy reading your posts.

I haven't been back to AW since the change over. Just too much junk for me to deal with.

You need to join us on FB, there are quite a few amitys moms on there and we enjoy keeping up with each other.

Glad you enjoy my blog. I need to get better about posting regularly. I seem to go in spurts.

World History and Geography:

http://www.studentsfriend.com/

Math, English, Writing and Reading Study Guides:

http://perspective.pearsonaccess.com/perspective/appmanager/tx/family

Scholastic Language Arts (click on black line masters):

http://www.scholastic.com/dodea/index2.htm

Thanks so much for that last link. I always seem to be on the lookout for more la practice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
bumping this up so I can find it.

Have you subsribed to this thread? I'd do that and then put it in a folder so that you can find it later. It is nice for people to see this, but it's a very old thread;). Evidently I didn't delete this when I went through my subscribed threads a few months ago, because it showed up on my control panel today.

Have you subsribed to this thread? I'd do that and then put it in a folder so that you can find it later. It is nice for people to see this, but it's a very old thread;). Evidently I didn't delete this when I went through my subscribed threads a few months ago, because it showed up on my control panel today.

No harm in bumping it for others that may not have seen it yet though :).

• 2 weeks later...
My DS used this program to learn piano basics.

www.freepianolessons4kids.com

I watched the first lesson out of curiousity since I'm a piano teacher. He did a good job of introducing the keyboard and in teaching steps & repeated notes. Hot cross buns is often used as a first song to be played on the three black keys. ETA Although he does a great job of talking and showing posture in the third lesson, there is no way he can help you to do this. I'm planning to let my dc watch this although I'm already teaching them how to play, and I plan to learn from how he explains things because it's always great to increase the ways I can explain something.

Ideally, I think this would be good as a brief introduction, a general music class or as a great supplement to lessons. It can also help people who want to learn to play for fun only. If you hope your dc will learn to become a pianist, then it alone is not adequate, because the early years are very important as it's far harder to correct bad habits than to teach them from the beginning and I have yet to have a student who hasn't needed correction and help, even gifted ones who catch on quickly.

Edited by Karin

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AprilinSC

This is an amazing list!! I had only seen a few of these before. Thank you all for sharing this....I think it will take me years to look through all these, I Love it!! I just have to figure out a way to organize some of it so that I can USE it:001_smile:.

This is a nonprofit math program, which I support because it's also local to where I live, but the resources are all free online:

http://jumpmath1.org/publications

Everything in the program is free EXCEPT the workbooks and you can easily create a full math program without them.

The philosophy is based on SCAFFOLDING - building carefully, step by step. Breaking everything down. Advanced students can progress as quickly as they want; slower students get the support they need. The program spirals - each topic is covered twice in a given year.

Click on Teachers' Guides at any grade level for excellent material that will guide you through teaching math, with examples, etc. There are printable Blackline Masters to go with the lessons. Even if you only teach the classes that are described in the guides, without the workbooks, you will be well ahead of the game. In their seminars (I took one), they say the workbook is the least important part of the program.

For Grades 3 and up, you're supposed to start with the FREE Introductory Unit. It is based on fractions, but it's not a "fractions unit," per se. As long as your child has BASIC multiplication (2s, 3s, 4s) they can do the Grade 3 intro unit. More than teaching fractions, it is a confidence builder that teaches kids that ANYONE can do math if they are given the proper steps. Highly recommended!

I don't work for JUMP Math, but I discovered it last year and we're loving it. The author also has a book called The Myth of Success that you might want to read before you begin trying to educate your children. :001_smile:

But please, don't confuse this with another Canadian math program called "JUMP at Home" which you can sometimes find at Costco and in big bookstores. JUMP sold the rights to those books to a textbook company and they're quite different. :001_huh:

I've just registered for that Jump Math web site and looked up some of the stuff - I think this deserves its own thread. Super cool. Between that, classic texts like Ray's or even "Everyday Number Stories" by Emma Serl, MEP, and CSMP, there is no reason we can't thoroughly educate our kids in Math for free. Add to that Math Mammoth, especially when it's on sale... score!

We are happy with our math choices but I checked out their samples out of curiosity and one thing that struck me as odd was one of the activities where the child is supposed to select the correct number. The selections besides the correctly written number are reversed numbers and upside-down numbers. This could cause further confusion for a child that is struggling in that area as far as I am concerned. Just an observation I made that I wanted to point out to those considering Jump Math. I closed it shortly after seeing this so did not notice anything beyond that. I thought I would point this out to people to look at the samples closely first to see if they are comfortable with the approach before deciding to use it.

http://www.arbookfind.com/UserType.aspx

Search by grades, language (english/spanish), fiction/nonfiction, and topic.

THEN sort your results by author, topic, rating, interest level, book level.

When you find something of interest, ADD it to your AR Bookbag. Then when you're done searching, go to your AR Bookbag and print!

Also- each book gives a summary of what it's about.

Edited by Pam B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've marked the ones I found interesting to explore.

Someone asked about a way to organize them.

I am providing two examples of how I handled mine.

1. http://art4kid.blogspot.com/p/resource-guide.html

2. http://www.delicious.com/rosysmith42

What I like about delicious bookmarking is that it is a social network of bookmarks. You can see others, how many you share in common, and then go to their pages and you instantly get more links that are related.

My tags/titles may not make sense to anyone else, but it is done in a way that works for me.

As I preview and use each one, I plan on using the note field for more definition.

Hope this helps someone else looking for a way to organize them.

My most recent favorite is this:

http://savethewords.org/

(It's a great and fun way to learn new vocabulary) It is full of archaic words with definitions done in a flash style.

You can "adopt" a word of the day and promise to use it in your vocabulary. Even challenging for adults.

Edited by one*mom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...