Menu

Is this enough food?

There will be 37 people (15 adults and the rest are children aging from 4yo to 19 yo) staying after church on Sunday to help set up for our VBS this coming week. For lunch, I am planning on making a big pot of chili...36 small, sandwich rolls with ham, turkey, cheese, and tomato...chips...drinks...and, a dessert.

Just today, I received a few more RSVPs that has brought me up to this number of people! Does this sound like enough food? I planned the menu over a week ago when I thought I had my final number. What else...that is quick...should I make if you think I need more?

I realize that the youngest children will only be eating a sandwich...most likely. I also realize that I'm only providing enough food to appease appetites for working...but, I want to have enough for everyone.

Thanks!

~Holly

If I were planning for 37 people and making "small" sandwiches, I'd have double the number, so like - 80! But that's me, I always make too much food. :D That needs to be a really big pot of chili too. You could throw together a batch of coleslaw really quick and it's cheep and easy. Personally, I would have hot dogs for the kids - some won't eat sandwiches ( mine don't) and if your having chili, your already heating stuff. If you just added hotdogs to the number of sandwiches you are already making, you would be good because some guys would make chili dogs. (my DH would)

Coleslaw

2/3 cup sugar

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 cup milk

1 cup mayo

1/2 cup sour cream

3 T white vinegar

5 T lemon juice

2 bags of prepared coleslaw mix

I think you need at least twice the number of little sandwiches as people, especially BECAUSE they're little.

On the other hand, if you cut them in half and arrange them so they are obviously meant to be taken as half sandwiches, you'll probably be able to get away with 50 or 60. In my observation, little children generally take as much as adults but only eat half, throwing the rest away. The end result is still a sandwich per person. If you halve them, they'll go farther.

My $.02 :001_smile:

Susan

If I were planning for 37 people and making "small" sandwiches, I'd have double the number, so like - 80! But that's me, I always make too much food. :D That needs to be a really big pot of chili too. You could throw together a batch of coleslaw really quick and it's cheep and easy. Personally, I would have hot dogs for the kids - some won't eat sandwiches ( mine don't) and if your having chili, your already heating stuff. If you just added hotdogs to the number of sandwiches you are already making, you would be good because some guys would make chili dogs. (my DH would)

Coleslaw

2/3 cup sugar

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 cup milk

1 cup mayo

1/2 cup sour cream

3 T white vinegar

5 T lemon juice

2 bags of prepared coleslaw mix

That is really nice of you to feed them. At our church someone takes up a fast food order and we all kick in money.

I agree with the idea of adding something for the kids like hot dogs. I have served mini corn dogs or chicken nuggets in a crock pot and the kids loved it. You can buy them in bulk at the warehouse stores. I would also get an extra bag or chips, pretzels or popcorn while you are there.

If your workers are helping set up for several hours they are going to be hungry when they are finished. Even though you are thinking to appease their appetite they will probably eat a lot more than you think.

Personally I would either make lots more, or ask the guests to bring one potluck side dish or desert to help you out. If the teens are boys, you have to remember that each one can eat as much as 3 grown adults :D .

My kids don't eat sandwiches either, and one won't eat chili as well. Big hits for kids at our last potluck were mini corn dogs (heat in microwave), pigs in blankets (hot dogs wrapped in biscuits and baked ahead of time), PBJ, and cold chicken strips with ranch and BBQ sauces.

Good side items are slaw, potato salad, baked beans, a lettuce salad, fritos and cheese (for frito pies), a veggie platter, a fruit plate....