Menu

Another edition of "I'm so glad I'm going to homeschool my kids."

We were at a kids play area today and I was crawling through the nets and tunnels with my 2 year old DD. I pass by two little girls, had to be around 4 or 5 years old (same age my oldest DD) having a very heated argument about a boy. They were yelling at each other about whose boyfriend the little boy was and were claiming him based on who had kissed him the most times. These two little girls were having a cat fight about a boy and one ran away in tears!

Oh, thank you Lord that my 5 year old little girl has no idea what a boyfriend is and that I could never even picture her arguing about one at this age! This is supposed to be teenage stuff!

We were at a kids play area today and I was crawling through the nets and tunnels with my 2 year old DD. I pass by two little girls, had to be around 4 or 5 years old (same age my oldest DD) having a very heated argument about a boy. They were yelling at each other about whose boyfriend the little boy was and were claiming him based on who had kissed him the most times. These two little girls were having a cat fight about a boy and one ran away in tears!

Oh, thank you Lord that my 5 year old little girl has no idea what a boyfriend is and that I could never even picture her arguing about one at this age! This is supposed to be teenage stuff!

Even homeschooling doesn't stop some of those talks. Ds5 and the little girl next door 4 claim they are boyfriend and girlfriend and talk a lot about when they get married. Ds5 is already planning out his job so he can take care of her. The funniest part of it all though is yesterday at the playground another little girl wanted to play with him. He very solemnly says to her "I have a girlfriend" and walks away! We had to have yet another conversation about the fact that he is not old enough to have a girlfriend and he is not to be deciding on a wife for another 20 years. He has never stepped foot in a public school, and never will and I still have to talk to him about the fact that at 5 you do not have a girlfriend (her mother gives her the same talk).

My ds (6) has also talked about marrying one of his friends although they don't talk about boyfriend/girlfriend. They aren't kissing but I did see him hold her hand. He hasn't ever been in school and she just started school this year. The incident happened last year.

I'm not sure how it happened unless it comes from seeing their own parents. I also witnessed 2 other hs'd girls (age 8 and 9) talking about boys they like. It was definitly more innocent than what I was talking about and doing at 8 on the playground.

Kelly

We had to have yet another conversation about the fact that he is not old enough to have a girlfriend and he is not to be deciding on a wife for another 20 years. He has never stepped foot in a public school, and never will and I still have to talk to him about the fact that at 5 you do not have a girlfriend (her mother gives her the same talk).

Yes, that's true. But the difference is you're the main influence in your son's life, so after a few talks, they take it to heart. If your kids were in the public school your influence vs. that of peers wouldn't make a dent.

These girls aren't even school age though.

I disagree that parents don't make a dent once a child goes to school. What I see from many school kids is that the parents are indeed part of the problem!

Dawn

Yes, that's true. But the difference is you're the main influence in your son's life, so after a few talks, they take it to heart. If your kids were in the public school your influence vs. that of peers wouldn't make a dent.

I think some of it must come from the parents (for the HS kids at least). I know my son, who is 7, already has the ambition to be a very good daddy and frets that he won't find the right wife and get to have kids. He has no particular girlfriend in mind, thankfully, and I do remind him there's PLENTY of time for that later, but it is so sweet to see how seriously he takes this. Because he's home with me and sees parenting as an actual Job, it's his ambition right now to get a good job as a Daddy so his wife can stay home and be Mommy. I'm taking the whole thing as a compliment (and trying to reassure him as much as possible ... fretting runs in the family).

So in, say, 15 years or so, there's going to be a REALLY SWEET young man looking for a wife. Heads up, moms of girls! :D

Tazzie's big ambition is to be a Daddy when he grows up. I pointed out he'd need a wife first, and asked who he was going to marry. He looked at me like I was an idiot (I get that look a lot, and he'd only 4!) and said, "You, Mommy!", gave me a hug, kiss, and ran off.

I think I'll wait on introducing Hamlet. :D

I know that you will see "relationship imitation" and often K or so age kids will talk of boyfriend or girlfriend... or marrying when they grow up... but not at this competitive, aggressive, scorekeeping level. Just imitating life of "mommy & daddy", etc.

Seeing a little girl talk about a boyfriend or being a Mama one day is not unusual... but a CAT FIGHT? That is very sad.

As for problem with the parents.... I am often shocked at the Mom's of teens (even preteens) who are constantly meddling in DDs "love life".... literally pushing them to wear make-up, talk of boys, and find a man. It is very sad & a frightening.

Hey now, DR, I totally resemble the Momma meddling in the dd's lovelife remark. I completely intend to meddle. Such as answering the phone when a boy calls. "Hello? Oh Diva? I'm sorry, she's unavailable. Can you call back, say in ten years or so? Thanks!" :D