Menu

Projects kids are doing in college

Karen in CO

I thought it would be interesting to share cool projects our college kids are working on. My ds is taking a class called "metropolitan Tokyo" this semester (he's an international business / asian studies major). He's working on a project that is 50% of his grade. He's teamed with a student from a videography class. They are assigned a neighborhood to study and suggest improvements for. They have to interview residents, city officials, and businesses in the neighborhood plus research the historical background of the area. They are required to submit a proposal for improvements with photos, video, animation, and a written report. The projects will be displayed in a Tokyo art museum for a week at the end of the semester.

I never did anything like that when I was in college. I am awed that he is confidently tackling the project. I have no idea what I ever did to help prepare him for classes like that. :lol: I suppose that a well-trained mind is more flexible that I ever imagined - along with lots of time spent doing legos and playing Sim City. ;)

When I talk to him about his classes, I always end up reflecting on how what I am doing with the girls would prepare them for classes like that, but I'm pretty sure that their college experience will be just as different from his as his is from mine.

SO what kind of projects are your kids doing that you didn't imagine when you were trying to prepare them for college?

Mine will begin screaming at Plebes at Navy in a few days... :D And then she's off to the Marines for a few weeks. My oldest is back home. After the death of her fiance, she is holed up here until August when she'll head back to grad school and a zillion recitals.

Margaret,

I'm so sorry to hear of the death of your daughter's fiance. Sending good wishes for her as she moves forward.

Regards,

Kareni

Mine will begin screaming at Plebes at Navy in a few days... :D And then she's off to the Marines for a few weeks. My oldest is back home. After the death of her fiance, she is holed up here until August when she'll head back to grad school and a zillion recitals.

So sorry to hear about your dd's fiance's death. How sad and scary for her.

Brenda