Menu

new WTM-what's the revision??

chadzwife

I see no difference in this and the next oldest version. Even the MUS info is not updated!!!

ARGH

I WASTED $27 buying it...I have *no* money to waste...chalk it up to my education, live and learn, etc. I don't have the luxury to pretend it's ok...

Am I missing something someone else saw???

Thanx!

I see no difference in this and the next oldest version. Even the MUS info is not updated!!!

ARGH

I WASTED $27 buying it...I have *no* money to waste...chalk it up to my education, live and learn, etc. I don't have the luxury to pretend it's ok...

Thanx!

If you do a search for threads about the new WTM, you'll find posts about all the changes in it. There are curriculum changes, new reviews of curric., and better explanations of methods and why certain currics. are recommended.

ARGH

Thanx!

There are tons of changes, especially in the Logic and Rhetoric stages.

Thanx for pointing me to the new stuff threads for the new WTM. I hadn't gotten there yet as I put the book aside in disgust. My kids are little now. I just couldn't believe it that they still had MUS as Foundations, Intermediate, etc. That was yrs ago now that they changed that! What all *I* read looked very much the same...

FWIW I consider the 1st edition my most treasured. It was written b4 SOTW and the grammar and composition bks they came out with, so it details more how to do it without using their stuff. I have most all the (OOP/hard to find) books needed too as I've HSling for centuries...LOL

Guess I'll pick up WTM, 3rd edi. again and keep reading...

Least I won't try to sell it now like I was just about to do!

I have to agree with the OP; I don't see much difference in the new 2009 edition either. Luckily, I asked our local library to buy a copy so that I could read it. In the grammar stage, you won't see much difference other than new resources for the different subjects.

There are more revisions in the Logic & Rhetoric stages, but nothing that would significantly change the way I'm homeschooling. The history and science held the major revisions for both stages. Logic was also revised in the Logic stage. Both stages also have updated resources. There are some new recommendations, but for the most part, they don't supercede the old recommendations; you now just have another curriculum to choose from.

I was happy to see new outlining guidelines in the history section of the Logic stage, but I was shocked to see the drastic changes in the memorization work.

There is a new resource listed in Chapter 45 Working: Apprenticeships and Other Jobs. My husband was intrigued with the title and thought it might be a good book for our oldest son. He got the book from the library and took it on a business trip this week. I don't think my son will read it though because my husband was surprised that it had inappropriate quoted language in the book.

Overall I'm happy with my 2004 edition, and I'm actually going to read the 1999 edition again. Now that I've been homeschooling awhile, I'm more confident in making choices for our homeschool. The oldest edition has the classical education skeleton that I now want so that I can dress it up to fit our needs. However, when I first started homeschooling I needed more hand-holding than the 1999 edition provided, so I'm sure the newest edition will be a great resource for the homeschooling community.

Just my $0.02...

Thanx for pointing me to the new stuff threads for the new WTM. I hadn't gotten there yet as I put the book aside in disgust. My kids are little now. I just couldn't believe it that they still had MUS as Foundations, Intermediate, etc. That was yrs ago now that they changed that! What all *I* read looked very much the same...

FWIW I consider the 1st edition my most treasured. It was written b4 SOTW and the grammar and composition bks they came out with, so it details more how to do it without using their stuff. I have most all the (OOP/hard to find) books needed too as I've HSling for centuries...LOL

Guess I'll pick up WTM, 3rd edi. again and keep reading...

Least I won't try to sell it now like I was just about to do!

I really love the oldest version too. I think it gave more options, since SOTW, FLL, all that hadn't been published yet.