Menu

Anyone use Biblioplan?

chadzwife

Specifically I want to use the Mystery of HST program with it as I don't like the secular focus of SOTW. Anyone doing this?

What are your feelings so far?

AND anyone just using the Biblioplan with SOTW---do you like it? What don't you like?

THANK YOU :)

I am planning on using it in August, but haven't started yet. I am going to use it primarily with MOH 1 and maybe some SOTW1...we'll see.

It looks good. I was a little bummed that my library didn't have as many of the books as I would have liked. So, I had to purchase some--the family read aloud's and the readers for my oldest especially.

This doesn't help you much, but thought I'd bump you if nothing else! :)

but we will not start till Aug. I considered MOH but I did not want so much time devoted to history and I already own the cd's of SOTW from our 1st time through. I am planning on the Victor Bible (need to buy yet) and another one which will be fine to add christian history for us.

I am hoping the jumping around SOTW will not drive me nuts. I am also using the coloring pages from the activity book for my younger guys. They love coloring. I have kids from Pre-K to 6th doing this so I need a lot of books. My library has several and I have slowly been adding to my stockpile of used books.

Despite all that, I am looking forward to our 2nd run through ancient history. I feel more prepared this time.

So are u going to skip parts of SOTW and use the MOH instead? I have a feeling that would be ideal b/c I do really like SOTW just not the emphasis she takes and the very important things she *leaves out*. sigh

Like GOD. It's frustrating to me. Then I read somewhere recently she says the Abram worshipped the moon due to a verse in Joshua (that I looked up, but don't remember now). It just doesn't say that at all. So she's outright putting untruth in the series too. sigh again

Yet I hope the next bks after ancient world will be better...I do like her storytelling style as history IS a STORY, a very good read when done correctly. Truth is always more fasicnating than fiction too as it's always stranger than fiction. LOL

But for my younger kids, for sure, we will be staying away from myths and such.

We just started Biblioplan year 2. I'm using it with SOTW. So far, I really like it. The books are great, and the schedule is excellent (there are a few "heavy" weeks that I'm going to take longer with, but most weeks have just the right amount of assignments).

I want to teach world history integrated with Biblical/church history, but I also wanted to use SOTW. Biblioplan allows you to do both. The more secular presentation of SOTW is integrated with other resources that allow you to explore Biblical or church history occurring at that time. I haven't found anything yet in SOTW that's an issue. If I did, I would skip that paragraph and explain what I understood was correct.

Right now I much prefer SOTW over MOH. SOTW is more engaging and a better fit for my younger children. There are a few content areas in MOH that I have "issues" with, plus MOH is written for (and the activities are aimed at) older children.

Biblioplan doesn't have a lot of activities suggestions for younger children, so I'm using the SOTW AG for my younger children for their mapwork, coloring pages, and other activities. My oldest dd will use the Biblioplan maps and timeline. Overall, it's working very well, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the year.

Blessings,

Laura

I want to teach world history integrated with Biblical/church history, but I also wanted to use SOTW. Biblioplan allows you to do both. The more secular presentation of SOTW is integrated with other resources that allow you to explore Biblical or church history occurring at that time.

Biblioplan doesn't have a lot of activities suggestions for younger children, so I'm using the SOTW AG for my younger children for their mapwork, coloring pages, and other activities. My oldest dd will use the Biblioplan maps and timeline. Overall, it's working very well, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the year.

Blessings,

Laura

This is what I'm planning to do w/Ancients in the coming year. Biblioplan also has a pack of coloring pages which I purchased since my littles love to color.

We have used Biblioplan with MOH for the past two years. The first year I tried to do both as scheduled, and I just felt we were doing history twice, it took too long and some of the material was repetetive. This year I used MOH as a commentary, skimming the material before teaching, and using the parts that weren't redundant. I did find the commentary and some of the information to be a great addition. My one big frustration with using MOH with Biblioplan: not working through MOH in chronological order, and missing some of the material that isn't scheduled. I'd love to work all the way through MOH another year.

FYI, many of the books scheduled in Biblioplan have a Biblical/Christian focus, particularly during the Nation of Israel study and in year two, during the reformation - we have learned so much!

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling K, 2, 2 and 5

but we will not start till Aug. I considered MOH but I did not want so much time devoted to history and I already own the cd's of SOTW from our 1st time through. I am planning on the Victor Bible (need to buy yet) and another one which will be fine to add christian history for us.

I am hoping the jumping around SOTW will not drive me nuts. I am also using the coloring pages from the activity book for my younger guys. They love coloring. I have kids from Pre-K to 6th doing this so I need a lot of books. My library has several and I have slowly been adding to my stockpile of used books.

Despite all that' date=' I am looking forward to our 2nd run through ancient history. I feel more prepared this time.[/quote']

This is going to be us this fall! I was surprised to read your post. I could have written it myself. :D

We'll be starting our 4th year of Biblioplan next month. We do not use MoH. We use SOTW and for years 1-3 we used the AG with it. I did not purchase the year 4 AG since it doesn't have the coloring pages which is one of the main draws for us! I purchased the Biblioplan maps (e version) which we'll be trying for the first time this year (have used AG maps previously). Definitely don't try to do SOTW and MoH--choose one. There is a lot of additional reading in Biblioplan that you don't want to have to drop because you're doing two spines.

I chose Biblioplan originally because it added biblical history to SOTW. There is a 3 week (I think) Creation to Jacob unit at the beginning, a 6 or 7 week unit on the Nation of Israel, and a week or two during the Roman unit that focuses on Jesus/Israel. During these weeks you will note that there is not much reading from SOTW.

Another major reason we went with Biblioplan is that we preferred its order to SOTW's order. I did not want to jump back and forth to Egyptians. I wanted us to be immersed in one culture for an extended period of time and then go on to the next. This seems better suited to grammar stage students than the jumping back and forth that would be required with a strict chronological approach. It IS a mostly chronological approach. But you get to focus on Egyptians, then Israelites, then Greeks, then Romans, then Asian cultures. I liked that a lot. And it's not confusing to jump around in SOTW. Sometimes a chapter begins by referencing something we haven't read yet and we just make light of it and I say we'll read about them later.

I think that Biblioplan has given us a very rich history experience and history is our favorite subject. It is definitely for families that like to do a lot of reading! And feel free to take a little more time on those weeks with a huge amount of reading (it happens once in awhile).

We'll be starting our 4th year of Biblioplan next month. We do not use MoH. We use SOTW and for years 1-3 we used the AG with it. I did not purchase the year 4 AG since it doesn't have the coloring pages which is one of the main draws for us! I purchased the Biblioplan maps (e version) which we'll be trying for the first time this year (have used AG maps previously). Definitely don't try to do SOTW and MoH--choose one. There is a lot of additional reading in Biblioplan that you don't want to have to drop because you're doing two spines.

I chose Biblioplan originally because it added biblical history to SOTW. There is a 3 week (I think) Creation to Jacob unit at the beginning, a 6 or 7 week unit on the Nation of Israel, and a week or two during the Roman unit that focuses on Jesus/Israel. During these weeks you will note that there is not much reading from SOTW.

Another major reason we went with Biblioplan is that we preferred its order to SOTW's order. I did not want to jump back and forth to Egyptians. I wanted us to be immersed in one culture for an extended period of time and then go on to the next. This seems better suited to grammar stage students than the jumping back and forth that would be required with a strict chronological approach. It IS a mostly chronological approach. But you get to focus on Egyptians, then Israelites, then Greeks, then Romans, then Asian cultures. I liked that a lot. And it's not confusing to jump around in SOTW. Sometimes a chapter begins by referencing something we haven't read yet and we just make light of it and I say we'll read about them later.

I think that Biblioplan has given us a very rich history experience and history is our favorite subject. It is definitely for families that like to do a lot of reading! And feel free to take a little more time on those weeks with a huge amount of reading (it happens once in awhile).

:iagree: I could have written the above. I completely agree. It has taken us quite a long time to finish up this first year (1st Grade/Ancients), but I feel like we are covering EVERYTHING. :001_smile:

HTH!