Menu

Ok, tough question (for me) about high school...

If you had an 8th grader (in the fall) who you were considering whether to put in a Catholic prep h.s. the following year, and this kid was doing great in math (will complete Alg. 1 Life of Fred by this fall, go into Alg.2 during the year and probably finish), would you...

A) Don't worry if LoF is rigorous enough - hey, he's going into a hs setting - even if he is academically great - they probably won't let him skip that high in math... or

B) Work through Lial's Intro to Alg, in the fall and skip Alg. 2, just so he'd be prepared "enough." (and yes, I may test him on the sections to see if he can skip any based on his LoF experience.

Which way would be best? Thanks.

Incidentally, in my previous message I said "so what if he is academically great," which did not mean I thought he was - I just meant "Even if he was" they probably wouldn't move him that far ahead anyway. I didn't want to come across pompous - totally not my intent - but you could have read it that way. Thanks.

I am unclear which math you want him placed into. Normally, Geometry follows Alg 1. I would check with the school what their math sequnce is and follow that. Not necessarily the same books, but the same topics. The book or program doesn't usually matter, it is whether the student has mastered the work.

You know, I think I would set up an interview with the potential school and see what they would recommend! Our local school district (not the same, I know, as a private school) doesn't accept any courses at all unless you can pass the teacher's final exam for that test and take the REgent's Exam, too. - yet the next town over, just asks you what credits you think he/she has earned and lets you decide where to place your child! so........perhaps you might want to talk, in person, to the guidance counselor or the actual subject teacher. That will help you make the decision whether to even attend the school or what you should study before your son went there.

Myra