Menu

Female Content - Strange symptoms during "that time"

I'm 40, and obviously have gotten over any sense of personal embarrassment :lol: given the fact that I'm actually posting this question. Ladies, when your monthly time comes, do any of you have these strange symptoms (that I can't find listed on webmd.com as normal menstrual symptoms): diarrhea, heartburn (usually in the middle of the night), and hives/itching? Are any of these postmenopausal?

I'll join you in the 40 and over any personal embarrassment. I tend to get sick around my period. Heartburn and diarrhea go with the territory. I'm not sure if they are symptoms of being perimenopausal, but I'm quite sure that I am at this time. As for the hives, I have found that over the years I have developed an allergy to all disposable personal care products. The answer for me was to start using cloth pads and a diva cup. Not sure if that was what you were looking for. I found my doctor to be utterly useless when asked questoins like this. YMMV

I found my doctor to be utterly useless when asked questoins like this. YMMV

:lol: Yeah, try asking the typical Air Force doc these questions!!! (Although to her credit, my *current* AF doc is GREAT...just can't count on her being around too long. I think "The Man" in charge of AF assignments can sense when a doc is good for a certain person and moves 'em.

I am sooo glad that you posted this question! No, seriously I have been having those symptoms for about a year or so around that time each month, and I thought something was wrong with me though the docs cannot find anything. I will be 30 next week if age is a factor with this sort of thing. No help here since I am still dealing with these symptoms monthly, but it is good to know that I am not alone in this.

Are you taking Ibuprofen? That often causes heartburn, and it's more serious at night because you're lying down. It gives some people dystentary symptoms as well.

To reduce the heartburn, doctors suggest raising the head of your bed 6-8 inches, or adding a wedge pillow or a couple of other pillows so that you're sleeping in a more upright position.

I am 41 & have ALWAYS have digestive "disturbances" starting about 1-2 days before my cycle comes. I know during pregnancy certain hormones cause disturbances to the gi tract (ex. indigestion is common)... so I just assume it is all the same kind of imbalances, etc.

I never get bloating or irritability like many others. Serious leg & back aches sometimes.

I once had a great OB (he helped save my job I almost lost due to PMS...yes it's that bad) who explained to me that a large bowel movement comes right before your cycle. He was doing a pelvic/pap and commented on the fullness of my rectum, and explained I would be starting my cycle soon. Lovely conversation,huh? Anyway, I can easily see diarrhea being another version of that.

I've noticed over the last year that I am much more likely to have a very sensitive tummy around that time. I also picked up the new side effect of intense pain running down the back of my legs; partcularly my right leg. By the way, I am nearly 37. I still know I have it really easy though.

I had upset tummy with all its variations when I very first got my period at 13-14. Things sort of evened out in my late teens, but I still get diarhea, just not throwing up. MY mom said she and all our family got that too, with their period, until she'd had it a few years. I wonder if its hormone flucuations that cause it- it must be. My mom never went through menopause or perimenopause, so I don't know if the "tummy upset due to periods" is revisited in our family in later years! I"ll have to ask an aunt.

I have also developed an allergy to all synthetic pads, and I"m too terrified to use a tampon since the allergy (even all cotton, organic one!) for fear I'll have an allergic rash...well, you know. Where the tampon is! The one on the outside is bad enough.:glare: Its organic cotton resuable cloth pads for me, which are actually not so bad at all. So maybe the itching is the beginning of an allergy?

Irritable bowel symptoms that coincide with your period are pretty common. I imagine whatever hormonal disruption that causes the lower GI mucosal upset could also result in heartburn - after all, pregnancy hormones do a whammy on the tummy - and heartburn is usually worse lying down.

On the itchiness, it could be that your body is stressed and therefore more sensitive to environmental offenses (I've developed hives in reaction to heavy stress before), it could be that you're storing more water in your tissues and it's drying out your skin, it could be a sensitivity to the products you use. If you're perimenopausal, your hormone levels may be changing, causing symptoms you didn't have before.

I've switched to Sea Pearls and mama cloth and have noticed a marked improvement in the ease and length of my periods. They were never particularly difficult/painful, but they are much easier and even the profound fatigue that I would normally have the day before is pretty much gone.

I have a latex allergy, though, so I switched to natural, latex/plastic free after years of contact rashes and other delightful things. I have to wonder if the chemicals that are hormone disruptors are used in feminine products and, if so, how many PMS/PMDD and other related issues would be alleviated by getting away from them.

eta: Jessica, your description sounds like maybe the increased weight in front is throwing your posture off and putting pressure on your sciatic nerve. I had that once... once was enough.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I'm in my early 30's and I've always had digestive issues that time of the month. I read that it's one of the symptoms of PMDD, which I'm pretty sure I have, but I won't go on medication for it.

Yikes, I just did a google search on PMDD...I'm pretty sure I have that. Thanks for the tip. Everyone has been so helpful and NOT EMBARRASSED to talk about this! Thank you thank you thank you! :grouphug:

I always have to go to the bathroom right before it starts. I have a contraction and need to go at the same time, and then there it is. weird

I'm 40, and obviously have gotten over any sense of personal embarrassment :lol: given the fact that I'm actually posting this question. Ladies, when your monthly time comes, do any of you have these strange symptoms (that I can't find listed on webmd.com as normal menstrual symptoms): diarrhea, heartburn (usually in the middle of the night), and hives/itching? Are any of these postmenopausal?