Menu

Another thread about SM HIG's

FO4UR

Do you think I need the HIG's for Singapore if I'm also using Miquon and RightStart materials?

I have the HIG for 1A, and honestly don't use it. I read it through when I got it, and haven't touched it since. I'm hitting the concepts from 3 different angles as it stands.....and don't feel I need them ...yet, for some reason they are on my wishlist.:confused:

It's not just spending the $, it's the shelf space and compulsive need to use everything on those shelves.:001_huh:

ds is about to finish 1A, and we have everything for 1B except the HIG.....

I came on here to post almost the same thing! I already went through RightStart A-C with older dd, and now I'm doing a Singapore/CLE/MEP combo with younger ds6 (you are not the only one doing three maths-lol!) He did all of Sing. 1A in one day orally-but he already knew those concepts very well and I got it used for $1-and they are presented very similarly to how RS does it (ie-for 9+6, having them make the ten and then add 10+5). Now moving on to 1B, do I REALLY need the HIG!? But I really, really want to make sure he has the right foundation for Singapore.

I know Bill (spyCar) said the HIG for 1B is excellent. I've also seen people say that the Standards ed. HIG is even better than the US Ed. But I'm waffling like you are because I have taught RS, which is so similar to Singapore-do I REALLY need the HIG for 1st grade math?! All things considered, I will most likely just end up getting it and just assume it will have a good resale value! Otherwise I think I'll always be wondering if I "missed" something!

BTW, I will say I wasn't that impressed with the CWP level 1. The other levels look great though! Also, I'm going to have him doing the Level 1 IP along with the workbook though to make sure we cover all our bases.

Edited by HappyGrace

I've got the Standards Edition HIGs (we are currently using 1A) and I've just re-looked at 1B.

As you well know I'm another "nut". Doing Miquon, MEP, Singapore, and Right Start games (and other elements), plus other things :eek:

Me? I'm happy to have the HIGs. And I've stolen, and invented a lot of activities. I laugh when I read the HIGs and think (wrongly): "Hey, that was MY IDEA".

So some elements in the HIGs I feel like I've "covered". But I still like them. And if I were a "normal person" and didn't want to use 3 or 4 or 5 math programs, plus time dreaming up activities for how to teach math, I'd say the Standards Edition HIGs should be considered "essential".

But you are a "special case". 1B does look more dense in explaining the Singapore way. Me? I will continue to get these HIGs. For all the eclecticism, I'm considering Singapore our "spine" and I really don't want a "gap".

And by "gap" I mean a "gap" in my understanding of the Singapore model method.

So I don't know. Do you want to be "enabled" or not? :D

Bill

I have them but you don't necessarily *need* them. The concepts are explained very well in the text. I only keep getting them "just in case." My ds6 will start Singapore 1A around Sep and I KNOW that he'll need all the games and suggested activities.

But you are a "special case". 1B does look more dense in explaining the Singapore way. Me? I will continue to get these HIGs. For all the eclecticism, I'm considering Singapore our "spine" and I really don't want a "gap".

And by "gap" I mean a "gap" in my understanding of the Singapore model method.

So I don't know. Do you want to be "enabled" or not? :D

Bill

Thanks for chiming in, Bill. The bolded statement may have cost my dh $30:tongue_smilie::lol:

To hijack my own thread, how does the SM Model method differ from Miquon or MEP?

Hey Paula, we are almost finished with 1B. I have really relied on the HIG. When will you be done with 1A? I could loan you ours depending on when you would need it.

Hey Alisha!:001_smile:

We'll be done mid-end July. Thanks.

Hey Alisha!:001_smile:

We'll be done mid-end July. Thanks.

That might be cutting it close but I could pm you over on CMF at the end of the month and let you know. We have previously covered most of what is left so it is conceivable she will blow threw it quickly. It mostly depends on my own stamina in the next few weeks.

That might be cutting it close but I could pm you over on CMF at the end of the month and let you know. We have previously covered most of what is left so it is conceivable she will blow threw it quickly. It mostly depends on my own stamina in the next few weeks.

Don't stress it! I can start 1B w/o the HIG....and I'll likely end up buying it b/c I have 2 more dc coming up.

....I thought you were taking some "summer break?":tongue_smilie:

Don't stress it! I can start 1B w/o the HIG....and I'll likely end up buying it b/c I have 2 more dc coming up.

....I thought you were taking some "summer break?":tongue_smilie:

I am. We are taking the whole week off of all lessons. :)

Seriously, we are still working on Math, Reading, and Grammar. We've dropped everything else for a bit.

Arm duly twisted over here! :lol:

I knew I wanted the HIGs for level 2 and up for the reasons you mentioned, Bill, but 1B.....???? So I'm very glad to hear that it DOES get into some of Singapore's model method. That was something I was wondering about it.

I don't want to "oversell" the model method aspects. These are still baby steps. And they begin to lay the foundations for division. And division seems like an area that often trips children up. And granted this is not long division.

Perhaps I'm just a nut :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Thanks for chiming in, Bill. The bolded statement may have cost my dh $30:tongue_smilie::lol:

To hijack my own thread, how does the SM Model method differ from Miquon or MEP?

You mean for the new "Singapore Model Method" Book? :D

Because the HIGs are only $16.80. Which means both the HIG and the Model Book are [a little mental math music here] $46.80 :tongue_smilie:

Bill

You mean for the new "Singapore Model Method" Book? :D

Because the HIGs are only $16.80. Which means both the HIG and the Model Book are [a little mental math music here] $46.80 :tongue_smilie:

Bill

:lol: Evidently I need both.....

I was actually thinking of buying the 2A HIG as well.....that's where I got $30. I would like to buy the next level up as we start the new, just to keep ahead of the game.

:lol: Evidently I need both.....

I was actually thinking of buying the 2A HIG as well.....that's where I got $30. I would like to buy the next level up as we start the new, just to keep ahead of the game.

Ah. At the end of the day I wouldn't give these up. Even if they in some measure just validate what I've been doing. Or if I decide to do it a different way. Or I like the Right Start way better for telling time. Or an RS game we are already doing is pretty much the same thing they suggest. Or I decide to use C. rods (which they don't). You will likely find that. A fair bit of that.

If only one-quarter, or one-fifth of what's in these HIGs is something I had not thought of, I'll consider this worthwhile. I'm thinking if I'm going to be a "math teacher" I'm going to try to be a really good one. I know you feel the same.

Bill

Ah. At the end of the day I wouldn't give these up. Even if they in some measure just validate what I've been doing. Or if I decide to do it a different way. Or I like the Right Start way better for telling time. Or an RS game we are already doing is pretty much the same thing they suggest. Or I decide to use C. rods (which they don't). You will likely find that. A fair bit of that.

If only one-quarter, or one-fifth of what's in these HIGs is something I had not thought of, I'll consider this worthwhile. I'm thinking if I'm going to be a "math teacher" I'm going to try to be a really good one. I know you feel the same.

Bill

:iagree: The reason I'm eclectic is to reap the benefit of picking several math-expert brains, and it sounds like the HIG's are needed to get the full insight into SM's *brain.* sigh!

No worries-I'm happy for you! :) I don't mind getting it-it will probably have good resale value.

On another topic-and not to hijack the thread but it's kind of related-whew-it looks like a BIG jump from 1B to 2A, doesn't it? Even 1A to 1B is a jump conceptually. I think those of us "nut jobs" will be glad to be doing our "three" math programs so we can branch outward and spend more time at a level in a different way rather than pushing forward if they hit a wall at any point in Singapore!

I think those of us "nut jobs" will be glad to be doing our "three" math programs so we can branch outward and spend more time at a level in a different way rather than pushing forward if they hit a wall at any point in Singapore!

:iagree: