Menu

"starting in the middle" questions

gaz-mom

I've just received The Well-Trained Mind (1999 version) and am thoroughly enjoying reading it. I have some questions, since we'll be starting in the middle with our soon-to-be 4th grader who has never had any phonics, spelling, writing, or grammar (to speak of), but he's been reading well above grade level since he was 5 and devours books.

1) The book says not to start Latin until after 2 years of grammar, and also it says to start Latin in the 3rd grade. Should I wait to start Latin with our son until he's in 6th grade (after he's had 2 years of grammar)? Or could I do something like the Sing Song Latin program without negative consequences?

2) My plan is to start this summer (I've just ordered Phonics Pathways) with all of his Language Arts, and to try to get as much done as possible (working through the summers to catch up). Is this what I should do? I was already planning to do some school with him during the summer.

On the plus side, we have 3 other boys, the next oldest will be 1st grade this fall, so I can do it correctly with them! :)

I've just received The Well-Trained Mind (1999 version) and am thoroughly enjoying reading it. I have some questions, since we'll be starting in the middle with our soon-to-be 4th grader who has never had any phonics, spelling, writing, or grammar (to speak of), but he's been reading well above grade level since he was 5 and devours books.

1) The book says not to start Latin until after 2 years of grammar, and also it says to start Latin in the 3rd grade. Should I wait to start Latin with our son until he's in 6th grade (after he's had 2 years of grammar)? Or could I do something like the Sing Song Latin program without negative consequences?

2) My plan is to start this summer (I've just ordered Phonics Pathways) with all of his Language Arts, and to try to get as much done as possible (working through the summers to catch up). Is this what I should do? I was already planning to do some school with him during the summer.

On the plus side, we have 3 other boys, the next oldest will be 1st grade this fall, so I can do it correctly with them! :)

What grammar are you using and what level?

If he is using R&S 4 next year (and you can start a 4th grader at this level, even if he hasn't done previous levels, because it repeats the previous years' material), I would say he could work on R&S 4 for 4th grade, then begin Latin in 5th with Latina Christiana 1, if he has no problems getting through R&S 4. (The 2004 WTM says that kids need to be working on at least a 4th grade level of grammar in order to do LC1 - and LC1 can be started in grade 5 or even 6, and Prima Latina is the 3rd grade rec'd program, but it's not necessary to do it before LC1) Hope that makes sense. :)

And it certainly couldn't hurt to work with him on catch-up areas over the summer. Have fun!

Right now he's not doing any grammar, but I already have English for the Thoughtful Child, so I was planning to use that.

He really doesn't even know the basic parts of speech (adjective, adverb, etc.)--would a 4th grade grammar text cover that? (I had started out with one curriculum but did *not* like their language arts, and somehow just never started him on it--kind of bouncing around from curriculum to curriculum)

Right now he's not doing any grammar, but I already have English for the Thoughtful Child, so I was planning to use that.

He really doesn't even know the basic parts of speech (adjective, adverb, etc.)--would a 4th grade grammar text cover that? (I had started out with one curriculum but did *not* like their language arts, and somehow just never started him on it--kind of bouncing around from curriculum to curriculum)

Oops, I meant "what will you be using when he's in 4th grade next year?' Sorry about that!

I'm only familiar with R&S. Yes, the 4th grade text of R&S covers the parts of speech.

2) My plan is to start this summer (I've just ordered Phonics Pathways)

Honestly, if your son is in 4th grade and reading above grade level, a phonics program would be insulting to him.

I don't think starting in the middle means you have to go back to square one and try to catch up. I think that it means starting where you are and filling in the gaps as necessary. Phonics is not a gap for a 4th grader reading above grade level.

Tara

I don't think starting in the middle means you have to go back to square one and try to catch up. I think that it means starting where you are and filling in the gaps as necessary. Phonics is not a gap for a 4th grader reading above grade level.

Tara

That's a good point about not having to go back to square one. However, I think he really needs phonics. He pronounces what I think are simple words wrong (pronouncing "vacant" as if he's saying "vacuum" or pronouncing "a-e" words as if they didn't have the e on the end). I thought the Phonics Pathways would be good for him, because the reviews say they use it for remedial work, even with adults. He's never had phonics (beyond what sounds the letters make). I have made so many mistakes with his education! Oh, how I wish I'd read WTM when he was in Kindergarten! I was thinking he'd probably be able to get through most of the Phonics Pathways book this summer, since he already reads so well.

Related to this, when he reads, he skims and can finish a book in a day, or else he'll pick up a book and start reading in the middle. Those are the only two ways he reads. I feel like he should be reading much slower (to really retain what he's reading) and be able to read a book from start to finish. Do you think this will be corrected following the WTM methodology, or should I try to work on it during his recreational reading times?

Thanks!

I am an exceptionally fast reader myself. If he can retain/understand what he reads by reading that fast, don't worry about it. However, if he can't tell you a simple "What was this story about?" question then perhaps you might want to cover WWE with him as it practices this skill.