Menu

Question about 100 EZ lessons??

Tiff in TX

Does the child need to know alphabet letters by sight before starting this program? I am guessing so, but I couldn't find the answer online.

I am thinking about starting this program in the fall/winter, but I need to choose a pace for DD's letter learning. We are learning casually right now, but I may need to step it up a little if 100 EZ Lessons doesn't include letter recognition.

I think any phonics program is best started once your child knows the letters and their sounds. Some curricula may be used after your child only knows a few letters. I've always felt teaching all of the letters/sounds made the *reading* part come much easier.

HTH,

Lisa

We've taught our two oldest using this, and they do not need to know the letters beforehand.

:iagree: This program is very phonetic! I thought that the opening pages of the book explains that children don't need to know the "names" of the letters b/c it's the "sounds" that are important. In fact, knowing the names can sometimes cause confusion.

No. They do not really need to know the sounds. They learn them as they go. It does help a bit if they do but its not a requirement for 100 EZ lessons. If you look in the beginning they go over some individual sounds first.

The best thing to do is get the Leap Pad videos and have your child watch those along with using the 100 EZ lessons.

No, they don't need to know the names. As a matter of fact, the program doesn't teach the letter names until you're around lesson 80 if I remember correctly. Before that it's just the letter sounds, which it also teaches. All the letters are written phonetically to begin with.