Menu

s/o What companies do you feel go the extra mile, whether it

Back to Basics Toys once inadvertently sent me two of the same thing. I contacted them for instructions on how to return one of them, and they said since it was their mistake, they asked that I donate it to charity or gift it to someone. It was a $60.00 toy, so I thought that was very generous.

TOG did for me...my husband packed everything, and I had no proof of having used the old TOG (other than my son's work and my memory)--they honored my request for the discount for owners of the previous version. They also gave me a license for multiple computers quickly, when I found that my husband had packed the printer cable for my computer as well as the software to run his printer...

the joys of moving...

This was back in 1997, but I still remember it as one example of why I love Kohl's so much. I had a pair of sandals from there that I just loved and wore out over the course of a year, and one of the straps ripped one day while I was out running errands. I was right near a Kohl's when that happened so I went in and looked for a replacement pair. When I found them and went to check out, I mentioned to the clerk that I was just replacing the shoes I already had because I loved them so much, and he just said "Oh, well if the strap broke we'll just replace it for free." I didn't have a receipt, these things were old and nasty, and he just let me trade them in right there for a new pair. I just thought that was amazing. I mean, other stores may let you do that if you ask, but he just offered it.

Well, I remember when I was 18 and my brother was living w/me, I did NOT claim him for the earned income credit since it did not list SIBLING on the list of who qualifies. The IRS sent me a letter asking if I'd like to take the credit; and if so, if i would like for them to figure out the credit. i checked "yeah --you figger it out" and they sent me an extra check :)

We have banked at USAA for about 15 years now. Very pleased w/ their customer service.

Yes, HEB has an amazing customer service atmosphere. I have issues w/ their politics, but that's fodder for the other thread... ;)

as far as giving back to the community? even WalMart does a fantastic job of charitable giving, even tho i have issues w/ their politics too. :D

Overton Fitness

They are the makes of a product called SPibelt. A small belted bag that fits around the waist or arm that can hold a HUGE amount of items for a very tiny space. It doesn't shift when running or exercising and my daughter uses them to hold some of her diabetic supplies and when the company heard that came to our online support group and offered great discounts for us to buy them.

If there is a problem they give personal help to fix right away. They will do custom orders without a problem. They cs is just great.

Eastbay- Dh ordered a pair of shoes from them, but they didn't fit. He packaged them up to return them, had them in his car to mail back after work, and they were stolen from his car. Dh called eastbay, and they sent him another pair, but waived the shipping costs.

Rod and Staff--they sat with me on the phone, read the entire table of contents of Grammar 6 to me (first year homeschooling--trying to decide where to place my high schooler who hadn't had much grammar), and just talked me thru it.

LLBean and Land's End--I don't even have to have a catty to call them and order; I can say what I'm looking for, and they will help me find it. They also have a lifetime return policy. That's awesome.

Classic Motoring Accessories. I had bought a polishing pad from them and they said on their website that they stand so much behind their pads that if one ever should delaminate they would replace it for free. I was detailing a car about 2 months ago (trying to raise money for dd's summer camp) and right in the middle of polishing the pad delaminated. Fortunately I had a back up, but my back up was an old "in case of emergency" pad and I was upset that a brand new pad should delaminate like that. I emailed the company and told him that I was in the middle of paid job and my pad delaminiated and they overnighted me a new one so that I had it the next day. Free of charge. The guy I wrote even wrote me after to make sure I was satisfied. I thought that was great! :)

Oak Meadow -- their customer service reps are excellent

Life of Fred -- incredibly fast service, and great communication

BJU (Distance Learning Dept) -- extremely helpful over the phone, and whenever we had a problem with a defective DVD, they replaced it immediately and without question

Hanna Andersson clothing. DD5 received a winter coat from Grandma and Grandpa and some superficial stitching came out. They offered to replace it with a like-kind and quality ONE YEAR later. We chose not to, but the fact that they offered was amazing. They also offer such good quality, and they treat their overseas factory workers well (from what I hear).

Timberdoodle - amazing family-owned company.

Nordstrom - I'm a homegrown Seattle girl. Still family-run. And they survived their awful marketing re-brand and went back to their old selves.

Also agree with Land's End and LL Bean.

We took a duffle bag back to LL Bean once to have it repaired. Dh had had this bag for quite some time and noone knew how to repair it. So they offered to replace it at no cost to us. They didn't even know how much it originally was so they just looked for a comparable one in the catalog and asked us if that looked reasonable to us. Then they offered to monogram it free (the other one was monogrammed). Unbelievably good service. Every encounter I've had with them has been like that, just wonderful.

Land's End is similar. Great return policy, great customer service.

I also had a very good experience with Gymboree. It's a long complicated, not very interesting story. :) But bottom line was that the customer service rep was incredibly helpful and they chose to believe me about something where another company might not have (I hadn't gotten something in a package but had no way to prove it). The customer service rep even found a way for me to save extra money on the item while I was on the phone with her.

I thought of more, and am ditto-ing some, too:

USAA - if you qualify, really do what you can to utilize their services.

Costco - another Seattle-area homegrown company who treat their people really well. Also, their President or CEO (I can't remember which) has a 1 page executive agreement. Unheard of in the corporate world. He does his job so that they are profitable, or he's gone. That's it. I like accountability.

Gatortots (unique toys and kids-stuff) - they replaced a tiny broken toy part in a set

Manhattan Toy - they have sent me TWO replacements for lost toy pieces: a magnetic pacifier and a replacement diaper for Baby Stella

King Arthur Flour - GREAT baking supplies and quick shipping. Instant chat for baking questions.

Zappos - such fast shipping.

REI

Philosophy (makeup and skincare) - I buy directly from their website, and get next day delivery (because they are up the road in Phoenix) but they ship so fast, usually same day.

Sierra Trading Post - Amazing deals on overstock outdoor equipment and surprising other stuff, and they definitely adhere to their mission statement. My husband has actually written their president and founder (to give kudos) and got immediate email reply.

Chik-Fil-A....we have started going there in place of other FF restaurants as the food is tastier and the service and atmosphere is hands down better than any other FF place in town.

Diane

Also, Chik-Fil-A is always closed on Sundays so that their employees can observe the Sabbath. Of course, not every religion has Sabbath on Sundays but the owner is Christian so it makes sense for him to chose that day. I really admire that and this is one of the places I go out of my way to patronize. Unfortunately, I always seem to want Chik-Fil-A on Sundays.

Land's End - I once asked if a certain shirt would go with a certain pair of pants. They sent someone into the warehouse to check! They've helped me with other coordiation and fitting questions, but the first one is the best.

Sportsmobile - I don't have the new vehicle yet, but the staff at Sportsmobile is really working with me to find the basic vehicle we want and design the interior to fit my family's needs. They can't yet do a Harry Potter style tent, but they're working on it :D

My doctors

My broker

And the piece de resistance - my auto mechanic

Also, Chik-Fil-A is always closed on Sundays so that their employees can observe the Sabbath. Of course, not every religion has Sabbath on Sundays but the owner is Christian so it makes sense for him to chose that day. I really admire that and this is one of the places I go out of my way to patronize. Unfortunately, I always seem to want Chik-Fil-A on Sundays.

:D I also really admire this about Chik-Fil-A, but I also want a chicken biscuit and large lemonade after church on Sundays:D

We have a local restaurant chain called Goldfingers and they train all their employees of all ages to be very nice, helpful and professional. Chick-fil-A is the same in that catagory at every one I've been in. Also my Kindle was being flaky on the charger. Amazon next day shipped me not only a box to send that Kindle back in but a brand new Kindle before I had even sent the old one in! I called on Tuesday and had the new Kindle on Wednesday. I was completely shocked.

I love Costco, Lands End, Lampstand Press, Wegman's and Walt Disney World. I have children with multiple food allergies and Disney bends over backwards to assist. Also through the years they have done special things that really make a difference. Last year someone stole my youngest son's Pal Mickey and he was given a new one. Back in 2003 on our first trip back since the previous one ended on 9-11-01 I mentioned in passing to a cast member that our last trip had ended on 9-11 and we drove this time because our middle son was nervous, just small talk. When we got back to the room there were balloons and a card from Mickey welcoming us back and hoping this trip would end on a happier note. I could go on and on. That's one reason why we go there over and over, excellent customer service Although it's not always perfect, nothing is, those little touches make a big difference. hula.gif

Although Patagonia is some spending outdoor clothing/coats and the like, they not only hold up well, but they have a satisfaction guaranteed deal more liberal than most places. My husband bought me a small backpack to use when I went to Guatemala...the kind that stuffs into a small little zippered pocket. It was very lightweight and waterproof (or very resistant!) After hauling my stuff and my 2 year old's stuff around the city for 5 weeks, in the RAINY season (everyday at 1pm it poured!), food, clothing, my son even fit in it when I was too tired to carry him...it went to the ocean with me, in the ocean with me, up a volcano (and back down), and then to the Mayan ruins for a weekend-not to mentioned my daily journey to and from the classes I was taking. One tiny spot on the stitching started to fray by the time I returned stateside...go figure. I brought it in and they said, here's a new one. It took all of 2 minutes. Also, my mom bought a red windbreaker from them about 30 years ago. 5 years ago (so the coat was 25 years old!) the elastic was shot, I took it to the store and they sent it in, replaced all the elastic and mailed it back to me, no shipping or repair charge. The coat is in good enough shape that you wouldn't know it's 30 years old....now I wear it!

USAA has been great for us all these 22 years and their banking has never given me any problems (unlike all the previous banks that I have had).

Publix

Land's End

All the wonderful companies that would ship to us when we were overseas and really needed things. Ones that come to mind are JC Penney, Nordstroms, Amazon, .

Netflix- my movies come so fast and no problems when I recieved a broken disc or the time the movie was scratched up.

I would love to qualify for USAA, but alas nope. I have never met a customer of theirs who wasn't satisfied with them - and I used to sell insurance years ago so got to hear a lot of whining about a lot of different companies. But NEVER USAA.

I wish they would spin off a division where you didn't need a military or parent that had the insurance previously.

Anyhoo - Fry's Electronics. We spend a lot of money there every year. I bought a BlackJack II there in October, and the thing totally crapped out on me - it was after the 30 days original purchase date, and I didn't have the insurance on the phone. I only went back there because I needed a copy of the receipt for AT&T so they could give me information on how to get it repaired (which I would have had to pay for of course). The customer service guy spoke briefly with one of the managers, and decided to just replace it right then and there. I have returned other things there as well, and they never give you a hard time, and their people are always polite. They don't always have the brightest bulbs working in the computer department, but everyone else is great.

My kids' pediatrician - Deepika Minnal in Plano TX. Hands down not only the best doctor they have had in terms of diagnostic skills, but the best beside manner. And her staff is wonderful. I wish she could be MY doctor.

Autozone: They are great about returns, and usually their staff is pretty knowledgeable or else will go out of their way to get you the right answer.

Progressive: Great customer service. I have totaled one car with them, but have had several times where I needed to use their towing service. They are also great if you are having trouble paying your full premium on time. They cannot change cancellation dates for you, but are never snooty about if you just make partial payments to keep it going. We have been fortunate to only have to do that a few times over the past few years, but it is good to know if I call and ask "If I give you $25 today online - how many days insurance does that get me before you cancel?" without them making me feel like a dork.