Menu

I guess being a celebrity pays off sometimes

I was following the case of Donte Stallworth. He's an NFL player who hit and killed a pedestrian. He used to play for my team(Eagles) at one point. He was drunk at the time of the accident. He just received a 30 day sentence for his crime. 30 days. This guy is dead and he only has to spend a month in jail. Wow. After his release, he has a 2 yr house arrest sentence as well. Poor baby. He has to go an live in his ritzy house for 2 yrs. I've read that he already reached a settlement with the family of the victim. After his sentence, he can apply for reinstatement into the NFL. I seriously don't understand how a man's life is worth only a month in jail. Michael Vick received a larger penalty for his dog fighting ring.

I agree, but I don't think it's the "amount of celebrity" in them that gets them off lightly, it's only the amount of money they can spend to do it.

I know. You can be wealthy without being a "celebrity". I'm sure these things happen all the time with people who have money. We just don't hear about them because they aren't famous(oh no a double neg sentence) But professional sports seem to have a lot of issues with DUIs, gun charges, assaults, etc. These are people that kids look up to. Then they do something wrong and get such a light penalty. It just irks me.

I was following the case of Donte Stallworth. He's an NFL player who hit and killed a pedestrian. He used to play for my team(Eagles) at one point. He was drunk at the time of the accident. He just received a 30 day sentence for his crime. 30 days. This guy is dead and he only has to spend a month in jail. Wow. After his release, he has a 2 yr house arrest sentence as well. Poor baby. He has to go an live in his ritzy house for 2 yrs. I've read that he already reached a settlement with the family of the victim. After his sentence, he can apply for reinstatement into the NFL. I seriously don't understand how a man's life is worth only a month in jail. Michael Vick received a larger penalty for his dog fighting ring.

:iagree: I was stunned, too. I heard a bit of commentary on TV, and though I didn't hear the entire exchange, the jist was that the family did NOT want to go through a trial, etc. and pressed for a quick resolution. I'm not sure if that means $$$ or a real desire to put it behind them, or both...:confused: I just can't get over 30 days for a *life*! If it had been completely accidental... But he was *drunk*!