Menu

AG/JAG questions

arcara

I've been looking into this curriculum thanks to the "Best secular curriculum for grades 5-8" thread. I've been lookinh for a grammar curriculum that I could LOVE. It looks like a clear, thorough, to-the-point program. But, I wonder about waiting until 8th grade before learning punctuation, capitalization, and other Season 3 topics. Do you see this as a problem? I thought about using it a year ahead. Maybe JAG in 4th, and AG in 5th - 7th? Or, I suppose I could do AG in 2 years (6th & 7th) instead of 3 years?

Any thoughts?

TIA!

I've been looking into this curriculum thanks to the "Best secular curriculum for grades 5-8" thread. I've been lookinh for a grammar curriculum that I could LOVE. It looks like a clear, thorough, to-the-point program. But, I wonder about waiting until 8th grade before learning punctuation, capitalization, and other Season 3 topics. Do you see this as a problem? I thought about using it a year ahead. Maybe JAG in 4th, and AG in 5th - 7th? Or, I suppose I could do AG in 2 years (6th & 7th) instead of 3 years?

Any thoughts?

TIA!

We are using AG for 6th-7th-8th. We have completed Season 1 & 2 in AG. In some ways, it is a problem. At the end of 6th grade, I gave ds the ITBS. The only thing he scored below average in was capitalization. Now, does this matter? Will we get kicked out of hs'ing? No.

We have touched on capitalization and punctuation in earlier grades and in other areas of school and home, but obviously ds is not up to speed. He will be, though, by the end of next year.

We didn't start a formal spelling program until 5th grade. At that time, ds was a little behind. Here is an excerpt from my review of Megawords:

In FL, homeschooled children have to be evaluated once a year. My son took the Kaufman Test of Educational Achievement in the middle of Megawords 2 (at what was the late fall of 5th grade) and scored 4.8 grade level. He took it again 6 months after we completed Megawords 3 (at what was the fall of 6th grade) and scored 6.1 grade level. In the middle of Megawords 5 (at the end of 6th grade), he took the ITBS and scored 8.6 grade level in spelling.

My thought is :chillpill:

:D

BTW: I LOVE AG. It is clear, thorough, to-the-point, and concise and efficient to boot.

My oldest is only a rising 6th grader, but to date I haven't found it a big problem. She has been doing dictation for years, so some of it she has down. The finer points (dates, days of the week and comma usage) she might or might not remember. I figure she will get it over the long term and don't overly sweat it.

Heather

We're going to use JAG next year along with Editor In Chief. Fifth grade will be a "light" grammar year, but one of the things we'll use is Punctuation Puzzlers. I anticipate using Editor in Chief or something similar in 6th & 7th grades alongside AG.

BTW - JAG + 2 Editor in Chief books worked out to 10 weeks of grammar 4 times a week, and 23 weeks of grammar 3 times a week. Not a huge load.