Menu

Math for preschool?

Angel in FL

Pattern blocks. Anything with patterns, including stringing beads. I found out about these from WTM, and they are fun.

Counting.

Sorting. I found two old 6-cup muffin tins at a thrift store, and we use them for sorting buttons and other things.

Hi-Hi Cherry-o and other simple board games.

The book "Preparing Young Children for Math: A book of games" by Claudia Zaslavsky is very nice, but is out of print (plenty of cheap copies still available, last time I checked).

The book "Teaching Montessori in the Home" by Hainstock has some interesting Montessori-inspired ideas.

My dd4 really loved the Counting workbook from the Rod and Staff ABC workbooks. She felt like a big girl with her "math book." My older dd didn't use that one. We had a dry erase preschool math book ( I think it was called let's get ready for school) that she loved. Other than that we have used counting bears with walmart workbooks, candyland and chutes and ladders. For patterns we have used colored blocks, construction paper chains, & counting bears. Lots of games and things around the house. We did graphs w/boxes of m&ms and other candy, a weather graph, and a daily calendar time.

With both older kids we mostly just practiced counting to 100, skip-counting by 2s, 5s and 10s, reading and writing numbers. At some point I discovered the free themed worksheets from www.learningpage.com (which I love by the way, sign-up for the free membership, then select "funsheets" from the worksheets tab.)

When DD was little she insisted on being included in school so she did TONS of those worksheets, plus I bought some "Funtastic Frogs." These are still a big hit around here for all sorts of play.

Funtastic Frogs

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1245196210-777073&subject=10&category=2327

Edited by Suzannah

Lots and lots of games! Some favourites here are card games like War, Go Fish, Crazy 8s, Concentration and Uno. We also play a lot of board and dice games including Monopoly, Yahtzee, Bunco, Shoots and Ladders, Dominoes, Bingo, etc. Then there's also puzzles, pattern blocks, cuisinaire rods, and a seemingly unlimited number of manipulatives that we play with.

My kids are into workbook type things as well, so we also keep the dollar store books on hand for when they want to do something like that. I also print pages from http://www.worksheetworks.com when they ask for them. (My preschooler loves mazes in particular.)

This is how we've approached math up until now, and our 6.5 year old is working at a grade 2-3 level from this foundation. Our preschooler (4 yrs) is also showing a great understanding of numbers and other math concepts.

Cuisenairre rods!

I like casual math play for the early years. Little ones can see concepts in real life that a workbook cannot even begin to communicate for that age-set. When my ds was 4, I set him up at our kiddie table with c.rods, geoboards, counters, a balance.....his matchbox cars, legos, kinex.....a tray of lentils and measuring cups/spoons.....whatever;).....and let him play there while I nursed/changed/chased his siblings (he was UNinterupted by me LOL) and I think that was actually more beneficial (for him) than if I had of tried planning out lessons.

Talk in math language at home. Setting the table is a popular time for math learning LOL! "We need 5 plates - 2 big plates for parents and 3 small plates for children..." Do sorting games when picking up toys (b/c we all know preschoolers gove plenty of opportunity for THAT:lol:)

Puzzles and games - LOTS of them!!!

That said - I am liking Singapore Early Bird for my dd4. She really likes workbooks and these workbooks seem to be just right for her.

Lots of counting objects -- legos are big here, but beans, beads, buttons..... Lots of free play with rulers (although they often get used as swords here once measuring is done). Lots of figuring out how many of an item each person in the family will get when we split things up. My ds loves puzzles, dd loved sorting at that stage. Kumon connect-the-dots books were a hit with both of them (and provided some fine motor practice). We have also used a lot of great picture books to reinforce math concepts, most of them from the library.

Talk in math language at home. Setting the table is a popular time for math learning LOL! "We need 5 plates - 2 big plates for parents and 3 small plates for children..."

I think this is such an important part of instilling a love and understanding of math! When you can see how numbers work in real life, it makes so much more sense. Math is quite magical! :)

Also, my kids ask a lot of questions about 'how many' or 'how much is X and Y', etc. I always try to do the mental math for them out loud so they get a handle on the process I'm using to come to my answer. This provides many opportunities to discuss shortcuts and how we can shuffle numbers around to more easily find a solution. This is such a far cry from how I recall learning math, which was much more about memorization and less about understanding the relationship between the numbers.