Menu

We did NOT SHIP our stuff today!!!!!

No I didn't change my mind.

I came home at noon to find my dh crippled over in excruciating pain. He did some kind of damage to his back while moving boxes around. Couldn't stand up...couldn't sit....couldn't walk.

He sort of half-hobbled, half-crawled his way to the van and I took him to the ER where they did xrays and gave him 3 different meds. Now he needs an MRI. :confused:

He is drugged up and asleep right now and I am trying to arrange for my brother to come and do the boxes tomorrow. But I am also worried about my dh not healing in time for us to go?

Anyone have experience with back injuries???

I had a back injury (pinched nerve, slipped disc) and it took over 6 weeks to "heal". It's never been the same, despite ab & back excercises, but that did help, in time. Physio, hot then cold compresses and gels, pain killers and the $100 investment in a TENS machine helped. I'd totally invest in the TENS machine. Temporary nerve confusion does bring relief to most people. If his injury is similar to what I had last year, expect the first 2-3 weeks to be the worst. I could not move at all, and cried every time I was forced to in order to go to bed or to the bathroom... but the stiffness and pain in the morning is the worst. See if you can buy some of that blue ICE gel, Heather, and give him a rub down first thing in the morning before he even attempts to get up. It will help!

Praying for him...

Hope it's a back spasm and not a herniated disk.

I sure hope so too. I had a herniated disk and found that complete bed rest worked well (one month flat on my back). Unfortunately, the disk finally herniated completely years later and I ended up having surgery - two actually. I now have six screws in my spine from spinal fusion surgery - not fun.

The MRI will show the severity of the damage if it is a disk and thankfully, they have come up with lots of less invasive measures for back injuries now than they had when I went through it (1999). Hopefully just getting lots of rest will take care of it. It's absolutely excruciating pain - I'll be praying for him.

Oh poor man! I hope he is OK and it's nothing serious.

I did exactly the same thing in our last move, moving heavy boxes, I was flat on my back for about a week. Youch! I hope he takes it easy and doesn't try moving more heavy stuff, leave it for the movers to do that!!

Lots of experience here with lower back pain from bulging disks and muscles spasms. I recommend large doses (800mg) of ibuprofen around the clock until no pain for at least 24 hours. Alternate between ice and heat for fifteen to twenty minutes each around the clock while awake. I am usually most comfortable lying on my side with my knees bent (much like sitting in a chair) with a pillow propped behind me for support and another pillow between my knees. As soon as he is able he should google for lower back exercises and begin an exercise program for his back as well as abdominal exercises to help protect his back from future injury. I hope he is better soon. Back pain is horrible!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I hope it's nothing serious, Heather, and that your dh will be fine after he gets some rest. Back injuries are so unpredictable, and it's so hard to tell how long it will take to recover. I hope your dh is one of the lucky ones who is fine after a few days!

Cat

How is your dh today, Heather? Is there any improvement at all?

:grouphug:

Cat

He is doing a little better...he is able to walk around (albeit gingerly) for short periods of time. My brother volunteered to load the boxes and take them to the shipping warehouse for us (he is such a good brother).

Biggest concerns right now:

-getting an MRI appointment before we leave the country

-our 10 hour car ride to NC at the end of next week

-our multiple plane flights in less than a month

I have never had a back injury before but I can't imagine that car rides and plane flights will be easy on him. Obviously, we have to fly no matter what but we may have to cancel our NC trip if he doesn't get better.

Thank you for your prayers and concern. :grouphug:

You might want to try experimenting with seat cushions. I found that by surrounding myself with pillows in specific areas, I was able to do longer stretches of sitting. Try to fit in a chiropractor visit, they know exercises and what to stretch/what not to stretch. Do NOT go to a massage therapist. If his tense muscles are holding things in place, getting a massage means that support will not be there. In my case, it meant a week of being completely unable to move without excruciating pain.

Hang in there - and get on the phone and get tough about the appointment.

Back stuff can go either way - so it's really hard to predict. I know i can wake up and not be walking, and be fine the next day. It will really depend on if it's muscular or other. Really, just keep in DOWN for now.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I have had some rotten back injuries. The pain can be staggering.

Do you guys know of a good chiropractor? I know he needs an MRI, but a good chiro would know with an X-ray if they could help him. I've been immobilized with pain before and the chiro was able to help me. Once the spine is back in alignment, you'd be amazed at how quickly the pain goes away.

I was advised to stop every hour and walk for 10 minutes on a long car ride when we were moving. Roll up a towel and put it behind his back. Whatever it takes to sit up straight. I also like to wear an elastic, back support thing around my lower back when I'm desperate. You can buy them at the drug store. Ice and muscle relaxers and ibuprofen. Many people heal well from their first bout with back pain. He will need to exercise and be careful from now on. Try walking or lying down (back or side), not much sitting. When he needs to sit be sure he is on a straight back kitchen type chair. A good chiropractor helps tremendously. Most of them don't even need an x-ray. I'm sorry this has set you back but I'm thinking he'll heal soon. Lots of prayer for you. Oh and pacing back and forth in the plane is always a good idea. There is so much room these days. :)