Menu

Just for Fun - an (unintentionally) hilarious TV movie this coming Sunday on ABC

Anyone who still has a TV out there, you might want to pop up some popcorn and get ready for a rousing game of "let's spot the scientific error" :lol:. ABC is televising a movie called Impact (don't shoot me everyone, I know nothing about the content of this movie, bit is "only" TV-PG, so it might be at least exciting for the kiddoes). But hey, it has David James Elliott and Steven Culp, both from one of my favorite old shows, JAG, starring, so it could at least be entertaining :) Oh, and James Cromwell from Babe, too...

From ABC website:

The most spectacular meteor shower in 10,000 years results in a direct hit to the moon, leaving it on a collision course with the Earth.
(DUH DUH DUHHHHHH -- MY SOUND EFFECTS)
A small group of international astronauts, scientists and soldiers band together in a race against time to save humanity, in the thrilling limited ABC series
Impact
, airing
SUNDAY, JUNE 21 and SUNDAY, JUNE 28 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET both nights), on the ABC Television Network.

David James Elliott (
Close to Home
JAG
) Natasha Henstridge (
Eli Stone
Species
), Steven Culp (
Desperate Housewives
ER
) and Oscar and Emmy-nominated James Cromwell (
W
L.A. Confidential
Babe
) are among the stars of the international cast.

The world watches as a large meteor shower streaks across the skies. Hidden in the meteor field is a brown dwarf , a dead star. It smashes into the moon in a tremendous explosion of rock and debris. Fragments of the moon itself penetrate Earth's atmosphere and make impact. Even though initial damage is minimal, nerves are frayed throughout the planet. Experts quickly conclude there will be no lasting ramifications. Then strange anomalies begin to manifest themselves on Earth. It starts small -- cell phone disruptions, unusual static charges and odd tidal behavior. The world's leading scientists, including Alex Kittner (David James Elliott), Maddie Rhodes (Natasha Henstridge) and Roland Emerson (Benjamin Sandler), begin piecing together evidence that suggests that the moon and its orbit may have been permanently altered. Their fears are realized when the anomalies increase to the point where the effect of gravity is being manipulated by increased electromagnetic surges coming from the moon. People, cars and other objects are rendered momentarily weightless in random, isolated areas around the globe. Alex, Maddie, Roland and the rest of their team soon discover something far worse -- the moon's new orbit has put it on a collision course with Earth!

The world now has 39 days to stop the moon or Earth, or all of mankind will perish. After a failed attempt by the United States to destroy the moon, the scientific team works together to mount an international mission to the moon. Alex, whose children and father-in-law (James Cromwell) have gone missing, is torn as he must join Roland on the mission to the moon. It's a race against time as the two celestial bodies are drawn closer and closer to impact.

LOL. Fearmongering at it's best!

We're currently listening to an audiobook about an electromagnetic pulse that's disrupted the entire electric grid of the USA - including everything battery-operated, etc. Think Katrina type panic and bad behavior multiplied to a country-wide level. I'm not sure I'm going to make it through this book....

LOL. Fearmongering at it's best!

We're currently listening to an audiobook about an electromagnetic pulse that's disrupted the entire electric grid of the USA - including everything battery-operated, etc. Think Katrina type panic and bad behavior multiplied to a country-wide level. I'm not sure I'm going to make it through this book....

Is it World Made by Hand by chance? My husband told me to read that stinker...it started out interesting, and then slipped into ludicrousness. But I think that one was about wide-spread nuclear detonations which changed the weather patterns in the world.