Menu

FACE Advanced Reading and Reasoning: Walking with Jesus

Dawn E

:001_smile: Yes, I have used it. Actually, I am currently in the middle of using it. And I love it. When I first got it, I was looking at the assigments they have the kids do after each section and was thinking "Ok, that looks like a bunch of busy work" and set it aside for awhile. In the meantime, I started doing an internet search for studies that show the best way to teach vocabulary, reading comprehension, etc...and I kept being sent to these sights with exercises on them that looked really familiar but I could not put my finger on it. Then, as I was thumbing through Walking with Jesus again, I realized that this was where I'd seen all of the same material! I picked it up and read it through and realized I had a goldmine of up-to-date all-in-one Bible/reasoning curriculum! This, along with the NOAH Plan Reading Guide (which is absolutely fabulous), has done wonders for our homeschool.

I use the WwJ alongside our Ancients study and they work beautifully together. We will continue to use it as we move into Medieval. And now, instead of me trying to come up with ways to encourage reasoning from Scripture or disconnected ways of reinforcing comprehension and analysis of their reading, it's all in the WwJ. Plus, the narratives are short (usually only a page or two) and you can add in or reduce the amount of scripture they have assigned for each section. Really, my favorite part now are the assignments at the end of each section! Now that I get the purpose, it seems so obvious!

I don't know if this is making any sense (I'm rushing as I have a friend on her way over) but to summarize: the WwJ material is easily adaptable to your history studies, it has great exercises built in that encourage reasoning and analysis of Scripture and reading in general, and it's flexible...you can do as much or little as you like. If you follow the grammar, logic, rhetoric stages of thought, it's perfect for logic stage.

Plus, the book is really pretty :lol:...lots of glossy, heavy paper and nice artwork.

If you have more specific questions, I would be happy to try and answer them. Gotta go for now. Debbie

Debbie, thank you, I knew you'd be able to answer that question and I learned something from it as well. I was going to ask if you did an Ancient history study and with what ages? I'm really leaning towards NOT doing one with my first grader, but maybe doing it with him in second or third grade. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Debbie, for a wonderful review and mama25angels for bumping it up so she could see. :001_smile: So, Debbie, you think this is best started, as they suggest, in fourth grade? Would it be way too much for a 3rd grader? This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for...but I don't want to have to wait...though I will.

Thanks again!

Here I am!

Yes, we did this with Ancients but I'm not sure I would use it with a first grader. It was intended to be used independently by a 4th grader. I used it as a family read-aloud, however, with my 4th grader ds and 2nd grader dd. I did modify it somewhat for my dd (more comprehension quesitons than reasoning questions...although sometimes, she was right on with the reasoning!). We will continue to use it now that we are moving into Medieval.

HTH? I can try and answer other questions if you have any.:001_smile: