Menu

? on WWE and FLL4

Guest janainaz

Guest janainaz

I am working with my son on WWE 2 and he has almost completed the workbook. He will be in the 4th grade in August. I'm curious about WWE and FLL4 covering punctuation in more detail. Some of the dictation sentences have gotten lengthier and much more complex, in my opinion, and I don't feel that punctuation has been covered nearly enough. I'm feeling a bit frustrated at this point. In addition, nothing has been covered about when to begin a new paragraph and some of the basic mechanics of writing.

I know for a fact I am not well-suited to teach writing without a very scripted curriculum and there are some areas that I'm concerned with.

Does diagramming sentences eventually tie in with punctuation due to identifying clauses, independent clauses, etc.? I'm embarrassed, but totally lost.

Thanks

some of these issues are addressed in greater detail in WWE 3 and 4. WWE 2 touches upon punctuation, but the primary emphasis is on the most common punctuation marks - periods, commas, exclamation points, question marks. Colons appear in only one lesson; semi colons aren't mentioned.

You will also find that diagramming and other aspects of grammar are covered in greater detail in the upper levels of FLL.

Don't worry ;)

Guest janainaz

Thank you for your response. I think my real question is actually what to expect from a fourth grader in regard to writing. I listened to my Writing Without Fear CD and re-visited the book to just give myself that confidence that we are on the right track. I do feel encouraged after listening and reading the material again. However, we have come across a few dictation sentences that use commas for other reasons besides separating lists of items. I just feel that it would be beneficial for them to cover the use of commas in greater detail if they are going to have us giving dication sentences that are more complicated. Here is an example:

"The Spartan girls, who were brought up by the women, were, like the boys, taught to wrestle, run, and swim, and to take part in gymnastics of all kinds."

I have loved all of SWB's curriculum and I do trust it, just not myself in regard to areas I'm not strong in. Teaching writing, is not one of them. I'll hang in there and take it a little at a time.

Jana,

Good questions. Most of the issues you bring up will be taken care of in time. Teaching writing and grammar is a long term run, not a sprint. Right now the focus is on imitating good writing, and you are laying a foundation of skills they will use latter. For example a book report is nothing more than a summary.

I would continue from where you are at. Assuming you are moving at a quicker than normal pace, just continue that. If you are doing it as scheduled then I would consider finding a way to pick up the speed a little so that you can move into FLL 3/ WWE 3 or a program like Writing Tales (level 1).

Heather