Menu

HWT - difference between K and 1st

anneinco

I am still trying to figure out what I am going to be buying this year for our first year.

What are the differences between K and 1st for HWT? Do they both cover all the letters or does 1st really build on what is learned in K?

Emma (K this fall, turning 6 in Oct) has decent writing for her age and can write most of her letters without a hint. We have not used any writing program this far and she picks things up quick. Looking at the way their letters are formed, HWT is very, very close to how she makes her letters already.

I am trying to place her so she will not be bored, plus I do not want to get something and fly through in and realize I should have bought up one level since money is tight.

Any suggestions?

If I were in your situation, I'd get the first grade book. The K book spends nearly half the workbook teaching how to write capital letters, and the first grade focuses more on lower case letters and writing words with a review of capital letters.

My DD is starting K this fall and writes nicely already, so I chose the 1st grade book. It looks like it will work out nicely. As mentioned, the 1st grade book focuses on lowercase letter and words. I'm just going to take a little extra time beforehand to make sure she knows how to properly form the capital letters, then we'll just move on through the book.

I also bought the teacher's guide and would recommend it! I like their suggestions.