Menu

What are your child's SAT/ACT math scores and which curriculum did you use?

My dd just finished 10th grade. She has used TT Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and was 1/2 way through Geometry when she took the test. We had ordered the Pre-Calc so she could look at the material, so she was a little familiar with those concepts.

Here were her scores:

Mathematics 31

Pre-Algebra/Elem. Algebra 16

Algebra/Coord. Geometry 15

Plane Geometry/Trig. 16

Math is her weakest subject - her composite was 33.

My oldest son just finished 11th grade and took the SAT back in March '09. He got 700 on the math... we use TT - and a little bit of Barren's Prep book. He was about 2/3rds of the way through PreCalc when he took the SAT. I wanted him to take it early in case we wanted him to take it again or if he needed SAT 2 tests. Turns out we need neither... once was enough taking the SAT itself for the colleges he wants to go to.

If you want more of a breakdown, he only missed 3 questions - and didn't have time to finish 4 others as he spent too much time checking his work (his words on why he didn't finish). On the practice tests (where we didn't use time) he tended to get 730 - 740.

Personally though, I think the best program to use for math is one that fits your student... Some (like me) really like TT, others can't stand it. Different kids have different learning styles and preferences. What's important is not the label on the curricula, it's whether they know and understand what they are doing - esp so they can USE the math later in other subjects (like science).

And then too, one has to consider talent for math. My oldest definitely has it (even if he only got B's back when he was in public school...). My youngest could use any program out there and (most likely) not get anywhere near a 700. His talents lie elsewhere.

I'm not sure that was helpful... but it's my two cents. :)

I second the advice that the best math program is the one that is best for your child.

Questions you might ask yourself -- and might help us to answer you more clearly:

1) Is my child REALLY strong in math? Does he score in the 99th percentile (or close to it) on the Stanford? Then you probably want the hardest math program out there!

2) Is my child pretty strong in math? If so, is he willing to put the time and effort to do a challenging math program, or are his talents and interests elsewhere? Does he want "out-of-the-box" challenges in math, or does he want a rigorous but "just the facts, ma'am" type of program?

3) Is my child just so-so in math? Is a rigorous but "just the facts" program appropriate, or should I choose a more laid-back approach?

4) Does my child face special challenges in math? If so, a VERY user-friendly program that just covers the basics is appropriate.

There are folks on the board who have every type of kid imaginable. Give more details on what you are looking for and I'm sure someone can help!

And one more thing that I would add to Gwen's list:

What is the goal of my child's mathematics education?

I think that it is really important not to lose sight of the end goal by focusing solely on a standardized test number. Geometric proofs are not on the ACT/SAT, hence some students can do well on the test without a geometry course. This does not invalidate geometry courses where students have traditionally learned logical thought processes.

Jane (who admits discomfort with the OPs question since anecdotal correlations cannot be extrapolated to larger populations)

I second the advice that the best math program is the one that is best for your child.

Questions you might ask yourself -- and might help us to answer you more clearly:

1) Is my child REALLY strong in math? Does he score in the 99th percentile (or close to it) on the Stanford? Then you probably want the hardest math program out there!

2) Is my child pretty strong in math? If so, is he willing to put the time and effort to do a challenging math program, or are his talents and interests elsewhere? Does he want "out-of-the-box" challenges in math, or does he want a rigorous but "just the facts, ma'am" type of program?

3) Is my child just so-so in math? Is a rigorous but "just the facts" program appropriate, or should I choose a more laid-back approach?

4) Does my child face special challenges in math? If so, a VERY user-friendly program that just covers the basics is appropriate.

:iagree:

I think it is more complicated than this math program = this test score. It is really program+child+teacher+test circumstances=score. The child is a huge variable. I could tell you what program we used, and what score my son got, but it wouldn't really tell you anything because my child is so different from yours. He tests badly, so his scores aren't a good indicator of either how much math he knows or how well his curriculum worked. I didn't even consider test scores when I chose a math program because I knew that they were probably not going to have anything to do at all with which program we chose SIGH. And our program doesn't match up with the US math programs that the SATs are based on. I myself am weird in that I test pretty well even when I don't know the material well. Which program I used wouldn't have much bearing on which math program I used, either. So I think there are too many variables for the data to be useful to you even if you managed to collect it.

It is really program+child+teacher+test circumstances=score.

:iagree:

My oldest did quite well in math although his standardized test scores did not match his "classroom" performance. His scores in his college courses, though, do show that he is a great math student. So, like Nan said, test taking ability and things other than the curriculum will determine scores.

And one more thing that I would add to Gwen's list:

What is the goal of my child's mathematics education?

I think that it is really important not to lose sight of the end goal by focusing solely on a standardized test number. Geometric proofs are not on the ACT/SAT, hence some students can do well on the test without a geometry course. This does not invalidate geometry courses where students have traditionally learned logical thought processes.

Jane (who admits discomfort with the OPs question since anecdotal correlations cannot be extrapolated to larger populations)

I think Jane's admonition is worth heeding. The fact that a few moms on this board have kids who used x, y, or z and got certain scores is essentially meaningless and even misleading. A particular student's aptitude for math is important, as is whether the student taught him/herself, whether the student received adult help during the course and how good that adult is at teaching, test anxiety, student motivation.... any of these factors could account for a greater percentage of the score than the specific curriculum used.

It's also misleading because the responses are going to be skewed in the direction of positive results. If my student used x curriculum, but obtained what student and mom think is a low score on the SAT, mom is going to be a lot less likely to post student's score and take the risk of embarrassing him/her than if they scored well. So you're more likely to get positive experiences with this question.

I agree with the other posters. SAT/ACT test scores are simply indicative of good multiple choice test taking skills.

My ds's scores were fine but not a 36. But his understanding of math and applying it has had him at the top of his math and engineering courses and has had professors recruit him for summer internships, etc.

I find it ironic that when one of the biggest downfalls of public education has been teaching to the test that the "test" somehow is held as a positive indicator of a curriculum. No, it is an indicator of how well it teaches to the test.