Menu

Do you buy products of companies whose politics you don't agree with?

I think today is a posting record for me: started 3 threads!

When you make purchasing decisions, consider the political policies of the companies from which you purchase? Now I don't mean going up on the web and doing a bunch of research, but....

I just found out that the manufacturer of my very, very favorite "green" cleaning products actively and vocally supports a cause that I do not. I have personally supported this company for several years -- before they become hip and mainstream, they relied upon word of mouth to do their marketing, and I was one of their first "advocates". They have been good to me: given me tons of free stuff, coupons, etc. Their products changed the way I clean! I bragged about them on my blog, and even suggested them here because they work wonderfully.

I know we would never do lots of things if we examined them closely.......watch a movie due to the politics of whoever, shop at a store because of the politics of a member of their Board, buy clothing because the manufacturer relies upon child labor, etc...

I'm just looking for some insight...

It depends. ;) I don't buy curriculum from publishers whose philosophies I disagree with. I don't go out of my way to boycott companies, but I make an effort to, for instance, buy "green" products, from manufacturers with whom my philosophy aligns pretty well.

My insight is no. If a company goes really goes against what I believe in, than I will not purchase from that company.

When I had a salon, I made sure all products were natural and not tested on animals. If someone went off the path, than I would not carry their products any longer.

I try to avoid products and companies I disagree with as much as possible. However, anymore it seems more difficult to find companies for all the products I use that meet my standards. I also have such a small budget that to buy a much more expensive product from someone else may mean that I don't have grocery money that week.

never in a million years would i buy from a company who went off from the path that i try to set for my children.

i feel strongly that we were given so many gifts by God and treating ourselves, others and the earth with the respect all of God's creatures deserve is our obligation.

i shop in a specialty grocery store each week & my kids know the reasons i shop the way i do.

what's amazing is that between specials, my saver card and the coupon they send you for spending a certain amount each month- i spend far less than before when i shopped at a 'big box store'.

I do buy from places I disagree with, because it would be impossible to buy most things. But I do actively try to buy from vendors (and products) I DO agree with. When given the choice I cast my dollar vote with those I would like to support. But unfortunately, I do not always have a choice.

Some choices I am able to make include buying a half cow from friends who raise them (they're grass fed), I try to buy the rest of my meat, as well as a few other things, at a local grocery store instead of Walmart. We buy a lot of our Christmas presents, as well as most of the jewelry I own, from a place that practices fair trade (it's called ten thousand villages).

We try to make conscience choices when we can.

I do buy from places I disagree with, because it would be impossible to buy most things. But I do actively try to buy from vendors (and products) I DO agree with. When given the choice I cast my dollar vote with those I would like to support. But unfortunately, I do not always have a choice.

I'm more of this approach. I do my best to actively support those that are more in line with our philosophy of life/what have you than work to actively boycott others. It does sometimes come down to a question of economics, however I have been very surprised at how taking small steps adds up over time. Five years ago I would never have dreamed we would be able to make the sorts of choices we do now and that are not really more expensive than we would do otherwise. In part, that's because more reasonable options for those choices have expanded a great deal in our area over that time period.

It depends. I try very hard not to, but there's one product in particular that I can't seem to find a replacement for, and the company does do animal testing :( If I could replace that one thing satisfactorily, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That said, I don't go actively researching the politics of the companies I buy from, typically. If it was a policy I was made aware of, no, I would most likely have to find alternative products if I could.

Would you mind sharing, even via PM, what you found out about who?

It depends on the issue. If it is a really huge huge thing for me and they are blatantly out there about it I would look for an alternative.

Pretty blatant...advertising, at trade shows and rallies supporting this particular cause. Advertising with very sexual overtones, too :( which is a new thing for them. I wonder if they have a new marketing director...

That said, I don't go actively researching the politics of the companies I buy from, typically. If it was a policy I was made aware of, no, I would most likely have to find alternative products if I could.

It depends on the issue. If it is a really huge huge thing for me and they are blatantly out there about it I would look for an alternative.

These two sum up my thoughts.

I have no problem giving emotional or financial support to people who think differently than I do. I'm not patronizing one store because I know they vote for my candidate over someone who votes for a different candidate. I assume that my politics might change over time, you know? If someone is more conservative or liberal than I am, I know that in ten years, we might be in different places.

But when something really offends me, I can get pretty uppity about it. For example, take the new Calvin Klein ad: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/06/15/why-calvin-klein-hopes-you-hate-its-racy-new-billboard/ I'm not spending a nickle on Calvin Klein ever again. Yuck.

When I know a company has been busted for child labor violations, then I am not buying that product because it so directly contributes to injustice. That's probably pretty random, but I am not one to really investigate who supports which party. I don't really care. I do care about justice, ethical behavior, fair treatment of employees, and responsible use of the environment, but those are really "politics" to me since I think both liberals and conservatives can behave well or badly in those areas.

I also tend to not buy things that are heavily marketed, especially to children. It just annoys me that a company will spend 50 million dollars trying to get my kids to think that nasty burgers and fat laden fries are yummy and fun, and my little rebellions kick in.

But when something really offends me, I can get pretty uppity about it. For example, take the new Calvin Klein ad: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/06/15/why-calvin-klein-hopes-you-hate-its-racy-new-billboard/ I'm not spending a nickle on Calvin Klein ever again. Yuck.

Just read the article. Ugha. Thanks for the link...I'm not a huge CK fan anyway, but that just sealed it.

I went for 25 years not buying from one electronics firm because of a deal they did during the Cold War. I still will not buy from a certain garment manufacturer because of a very public change in their corporate donation policies in the early 90s.

I will not shop at Benneton because of an ad they used featuring a burning car that ran shortly after I'd failed to help a teenager get out of a burning car that he'd wrecked on the freeway. Helplessly watching someone burn to death and then seeing a similar image used to sell sweaters just put me off forever.

I will not buy from a certain yogurt company because they supported a political cause that I was very opposed to. I guess I figure that if a company is going to use supporting a certain viewpoint as a point in advertising, then they should expect those who don't hold that viewpoint to hold it against them.

Depends, for sure. There is a hardware company here in Australia that cuts down trees in an unethical way- yet they are the biggest and therefore cheapest hardware store around. I go to the small store if I can- but sometimes, its just darned convenient to go there.

I boycott Nestles.

I support the local organic store because the people who run it have really good ethics and charge less than teh recommended retail price for things.

All in all, I probably dont do the research I should to find out the ethics of companies I support, but if I am aware of something blatant that really offends me, (not to mention kills many people or animals) I willl avoid it (as in Nestles).

Homeschooling companies- I am not sure. I havent boycotted anyone for their values or political preferences yet, that I didnt already avoid because their product doesnt suit me.

When I know a company has been busted for child labor violations, then I am not buying that product because it so directly contributes to injustice. That's probably pretty random, but I am not one to really investigate who supports which party. I don't really care. I do care about justice, ethical behavior, fair treatment of employees, and responsible use of the environment, but those are really "politics" to me since I think both liberals and conservatives can behave well or badly in those areas.

I also tend to not buy things that are heavily marketed, especially to children. It just annoys me that a company will spend 50 million dollars trying to get my kids to think that nasty burgers and fat laden fries are yummy and fun, and my little rebellions kick in.

:iagree::iagree: with everything you said. I hadn't seen that CK ad before. YIKES!! I am the same way. I don't actively investigate companies' politics or ethics, but if I hear of something and I can verify that it is true and it goes totally against my ethics or beliefs I'll boycott them. I had this situation come up just over a year ago and I was in a bind because it was a store that offered more specialized merchandise that was hard to find just anywhere. I said to myself, "nope. I just can't go there anymore." and started searching for similar things online. I wound up not only finding everything i needed online, it got it for a better price even WITH the shipping!! I took that as a blessing for standing by my convictions! hehe :)

We try very, VERY hard to have our economic dollars support those we agree with. However, I'm sure we're not 100% perfect. There are times when you just have to buy something...

I have changed my buying patterns significantly when I found out a company I had previously bought many things from supported an issue I didn't -and I've found I've been happy with my replacement products.

I do not advocate boycotts, nor participate in them. I'm simply choosing who I want to support with the $$ we spend.

I care more about business practices than political causes a company may endorse. Animal testing of products, unfair labor practices, etc would be a no. If a company supported a cause I don't believe in, I probably wouldn't get that excited. I buy educational materials from faith-based publishers and sellers, and assume they support a worldview that does not agree with my own.

Advertising is tricky. I don't pay that much attention to it, so it would have to be pretty egregious. It annoys me to no end that certain NPR programs are supported by Monsanto, with some line about their focus being on sustainable agriculture... :001_huh: That might get a letter, but I'm not going to stop listening to Car Talk, you know?

Nope. There are certain curriculum publishers I'd absolutely never use, stores you couldn't pay me to shop at, and products I'd never buy in a million years. I realize I don't make a difference, but as a larger group it's a great way to help get your views known.

:iagree:

Depends on how in-your-face they are with it and what the issue is. I don't go looking up the political or charitable contributions of every company I do business with, but if they've gone very public with their stance and it's one I feel is truly immoral, then I stop buying and encourage others to do the same.

I do my level best to support companies that I agree with versus those that I don't. I can think of one store in particular that I haven't entered in over six years, and a couple of companies whose products I haven't purchased in just as long or longer. Dh hates that I like to read, though, because the list is always getting longer. ;)

If I can get a similar product for a similar price at a company that is more in line w/ my views, I will. But if Horrible Company has a Great Product, I just make sure I let them know that I am contributing extra amount of dollars to whatever organization is opposing The Issue w/which I disagree. I also cc that notice to everyone on my email list.

Or like insurance companies: if Horrible Company is saving me a thousand dollars a year, I put a portion of that savings to the opposing organization on the issue that's ticking me off.

If I boycott, I do it because *I* want to boycott, not w/ the expectation that everyone else will follow or that i can have an economic impact.

good luck-

Is it straying into that dangerous WTM slippery slope of politics if I ask who among you consider yourselves conservative, and who, liberal? (I'm NOT talking political parties...) I'm just curious because I consider myself conservative, and my conservative friends just never talk about this stuff (unless they talk about boycotting Disneyland, which I think is just silly.)

Agreeing with the theory completely. No can do in practice, though.

The farther down the corporate family tree I go, inevitably I encounter a parent company (or partner company) that throws its money and its mouth behind positions I find abhorrent.

Best I can do is pick-and-choose, avoiding certain companies/products.

Is it straying into that dangerous WTM slippery slope of politics if I ask who among you consider yourselves conservative, and who, liberal? (I'm NOT talking political parties...) I'm just curious because I consider myself conservative, and my conservative friends just never talk about this stuff (unless they talk about boycotting Disneyland, which I think is just silly.)

I don't think it would be taboo, but you can probably find a few threads in the archives already. I can tell you that in this thread alone, there are conservatives and liberals that have responded. I am pretty staunchly conservative. :)

I don't think it would be taboo, but you can probably find a few threads in the archives already. I can tell you that in this thread alone, there are conservatives and liberals that have responded. I am pretty staunchly conservative. :)

I guess I'm not so interested in The Who of who is liberal/conservative, but getting a feel as to thought patterns of those aligned with each arena of thought. I tried to attach a poll to my existing thread to make it anonymous, but I couldn't do it.

Thanks for the info Peek. At least I know that it isn't just one side of the argument that exhibits this thought process. I was feeling kind of alone on the conservative side caring about this.

The references to curriculum piqued my interest as I have no clue to who you all are referring. Does anyone want to shoot me a PM and tell me who and why? I've never really done any research on the behind the scenes philosophies or dealings of the various curriculum providers, I've just always looked at books or programs and chose what looked best for us. Thanks. :)

The references to curriculum piqued my interest as I have no clue to who you all are referring. Does anyone want to shoot me a PM and tell me who and why? I've never really done any research on the behind the scenes philosophies or dealings of the various curriculum providers, I've just always looked at books or programs and chose what looked best for us. Thanks. :)

various ones.

you can find threads on here about BJU, for example :)

There are homeschooling companies that are engaged in religious outreach / conversion efforts. This is not hidden in any fashion. They send out emails on a homeschooling product list about praying for these "unsaved" people. If you are a member of one of those targeted faiths, I have a hard time imagining much enthusiasm for supporting such endeavors. That is not the same as buying material from companies whose owners are of a different faith from you, or are religious when you are secular, or are secular when you are religious, in which case I tend to think we can "all get along."

There are homeschooling companies that are engaged in religious outreach / conversion efforts. This is not hidden in any fashion. They send out emails on a homeschooling product list about praying for these "unsaved" people. If you are a member of one of those targeted faiths, I have a hard time imagining much enthusiasm for supporting such endeavors. That is not the same as buying material from companies whose owners are of a different faith from you, or are religious when you are secular, or are secular when you are religious, in which case I tend to think we can "all get along."

eh-- If you do enough research into how people live their faith, I can imagine quite a bit of enthusiasm for praying for people, even if I don't do that myself.

I haven't quite figured out how it is horrible to be prayed for, anymore than it is horrible to have someone think you are deluded, lol.

For me, the "politics" needs to be more than just personal convictions: I'm watching for companies that actively fund issues that i find purposefully destructive.

For me, the "politics" needs to be more than just personal convictions: I'm watching for companies that actively fund issues that i find purposefully destructive.

I am not in the business of telling people what to pray for. But I will not send funds to a company that is actively involved in converting people of my faith to theirs and who are actively involved in insulting my religion. That would be counter to my beliefs and my religion.

Political views don't bother me, but serious issues like harming people or animals, or the earth, then I will try my durndest not to buy those products.

As far as hsing products, hmmm. I have bought products from publishers/people with philosophies/politics radically different than me. The only "no way, Jose" goes to those that engage in repeatedly maligning my religion or any religion not absolutely like their own.

I am not in the business of telling people what to pray for. But I will not send funds to a company that is actively involved in converting people of my faith to theirs and who are actively involved in insulting my religion. That would be counter to my beliefs and my religion.

In that case, I'd have to boycott nearly everyone. Especially bookstores.

I used to. Back when I could afford to. Frankly, I now work for a company I used to boycott. That said, while I still have problems with that company's labor practices and the way they tend to treat manufacturers, they have cleaned up their act somewhat on the environmental front, a bit ahead of the curve of it suddenly being 'trendy and cool' to do so, demonstrating that corporate politics can change.

I still tend to avoid Nestle products.

Other than that, I tend to go for the best quality I can get for what I can afford, and/or the lowest price, period. It's been a long time, for example, since I bought organic milk, because we just plain can't afford to pay triple the price, even though I know it's better. Ditto meats; we don't eat a lot of meat around here (I used to be veg, but gave it up to give DD more variety in her diet and avoid too much soy because of family thyroid problems), but when we do it's usually something I got on sale at Marketside (where I get a discount because they're owned by the company I work for) or Albertson's, or less often Sunflower Market, Trader Joe's, or Whole Foods (places I love to shop, but which I only go to if there's a particular item I need from there I can't get elsewhere, because they are either several miles out of the way, or just plain more expensive).

I've known people on both ends of the political spectrum to boycott businesses for various reasons. My dad, for example, boycotted Target for a long time because they don't support veterans' groups or let the Salvation Army post ringers outside their stores. He's a very conservative guy.

I think today is a posting record for me: started 3 threads!

When you make purchasing decisions, consider the political policies of the companies from which you purchase? Now I don't mean going up on the web and doing a bunch of research, but....

I just found out that the manufacturer of my very, very favorite "green" cleaning products actively and vocally supports a cause that I do not. I have personally supported this company for several years -- before they become hip and mainstream, they relied upon word of mouth to do their marketing, and I was one of their first "advocates". They have been good to me: given me tons of free stuff, coupons, etc. Their products changed the way I clean! I bragged about them on my blog, and even suggested them here because they work wonderfully.

I know we would never do lots of things if we examined them closely.......watch a movie due to the politics of whoever, shop at a store because of the politics of a member of their Board, buy clothing because the manufacturer relies upon child labor, etc...

I'm just looking for some insight...

Well, right now I'm about to return a pair of Calvin Klein pants ds bought because of CK putting up a sexually explicit 50 ft. billboard where any child could see it. Gotta draw the line somewhere and this is the only way to make myself heard. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526491,00.html This link is a video but you can see more clearly what is offensive. To me, this is just way past "over the line" and I won't give $$ to that company.

I used to. Back when I could afford to. Frankly, I now work for a company I used to boycott. That said, while I still have problems with that company's labor practices and the way they tend to treat manufacturers, they have cleaned up their act somewhat on the environmental front, a bit ahead of the curve of it suddenly being 'trendy and cool' to do so, demonstrating that corporate politics can change.

I still tend to avoid Nestle products.

Other than that, I tend to go for the best quality I can get for what I can afford, and/or the lowest price, period. It's been a long time, for example, since I bought organic milk, because we just plain can't afford to pay triple the price, even though I know it's better. Ditto meats; we don't eat a lot of meat around here (I used to be veg, but gave it up to give DD more variety in her diet and avoid too much soy because of family thyroid problems), but when we do it's usually something I got on sale at Marketside (where I get a discount because they're owned by the company I work for) or Albertson's, or less often Sunflower Market, Trader Joe's, or Whole Foods (places I love to shop, but which I only go to if there's a particular item I need from there I can't get elsewhere, because they are either several miles out of the way, or just plain more expensive).

I've known people on both ends of the political spectrum to boycott businesses for various reasons. My dad, for example, boycotted Target for a long time because they don't support veterans' groups or let the Salvation Army post ringers outside their stores. He's a very conservative guy.

What's wrong with Nestle??

Well, right now I'm about to return a pair of Calvin Klein pants ds bought because of CK putting up a sexually explicit 50 ft. billboard where any child could see it. Gotta draw the line somewhere and this is the only way to make myself heard. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526491,00.html This link is a video but you can see more clearly what is offensive. To me, this is just way past "over the line" and I won't give $$ to that company.

That's generally one reason I won't purchase from a certain business is over-sexualization or sexual exploitation of teens, or any human for that matter. I absolutely refuse to buy from Victoria's Secret because I would get so angry every time we'd go through the mall and right across from them was the Disney store, and posted in the VS window was just a big vulgar picture that was basically just p*rn. I got tired of covering my kids' eyes, etc. I feel the same about Abercrombie after their episode a few years back. There are other groups that stand against some of my Biblical beliefs that I wouldn't buy from, but honestly, I just don't have a very long list of places like that.

That's generally one reason I won't purchase from a certain business is over-sexualization or sexual exploitation of teens, or any human for that matter. I absolutely refuse to buy from Victoria's Secret because I would get so angry every time we'd go through the mall and right across from them was the Disney store, and posted in the VS window was just a big vulgar picture that was basically just p*rn. I got tired of covering my kids' eyes, etc. I feel the same about Abercrombie after their episode a few years back. There are other groups that stand against some of my Biblical beliefs that I wouldn't buy from, but honestly, I just don't have a very long list of places like that.

:iagree: That was one of the main points of the opinion piece by John Whitehead of the Rutherford Institute that I posted in another thread. For some reason, this has hardly been mentioned over there...it has become a "cartoon characters everywhere" argument (me included :tongue_smilie:) but I think lots of people just didn't read the article. It was powerful.

This is nothing new for CK. Their advertising has been like this for at least 20 years.

Another it depends. I don't actively research every company. If I become aware of an issue that really bothers me then yes I avoid that company and if I become aware of a company that really impresses me then I will go out of my way to patronize that company. I do try to use local and/or small businesses if I can. I have no problem buying items from someone or some company that has a different worldview than I do as long as I am ok with the product itself. An example would be that I buy from many Christian curriculum providers as long as I am ok with the the content or service itself. In other cases I can not overcome the issue I have with the company. An example of this would HSLDA.

Where do you typically go to find out what companies are doing anyway?? I mean, that's not usually information that you find on their website unless it is something like charitable giving that is going to paint them in a favorable light.

for people that are going to boycott, there is usually one or two pet issues that they are very passionate about and follow on discussion boards/ political sites.

So if your soapbox issue is ...say....animal testing of products, then you would find out which blog/site is following that pretty carefully [like this one] and [likely] request to be added to their email list.

There's almost always someone more fanatical than yourself [that's a general yourself, lol] that is following these types of things w/ a microscope.