Menu

Can you tell me what you like/don't like about RightStart Math?

gandpsmommy

For us, it depending on the child. For both boys I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE RS for levels A and B. When we got to C with my younger ds, he needed more drill work (and we really weren't into play the games and the drill sheets were black and white and boring), so I moved him into BJU.

My older ds worked through all the levels. We rarely, if hardly ever, played the games. He just didn't need it. I also didn't do very many of the drill sheets...he sort of just got it.

There is a kit for each level. For Level A, you only need the TM (student pages are in the back) as far as books are concerned. Look at the website and you'll see what you need.RSMath

There are many reasons that I love RightStart. I love how it approaches math. It teaches the child how to think about numbers and manipulate the numbers in his/her head. My first dd is not math oriented and I had trouble teaching her Singapore math. RightStart gave me the handholding that we both needed. Now that my girls have been through several levels (we are in Level D), I don't need as much handholding. And, my girls have a great grasp on numbers and place value. An added benefit, is that I finally learned how to manipulate numbers in MY head.

I don't know how the kits work when purchasing. I bought ours back when you bought all the manipulatives for all the levels together. I would highly suggest calling Rightstart. They will help you in any way that you need help.

One think I don't like is small errors in the manuals. Every so often, there will be an error in the teacher manual. For some reason, when measuring with a ruler, the measurements are not always exactly as is indicated in the teacher's manual. This is frustrating for me. Also, when I first started, I would sometimes have a hard time understanding the lesson. This was my problem because I just didn't think the way they do at Rightstart. Now, I'm usually better about it. However, when I get stumped, I just call.

We don't play a lot of the games, though I try to. I've supplemented with Calculadders and a brief stint with CLE. There is a spot in Level C where the games need to be played or the child will have difficulty moving forward, at least for most kids. One of mine needed extra practice and another did not.

My son who has used Right Start has a much better grasp of math than my older son who did not.

We did not need the games with my son who is now in level E. He picks us the concepts quickly enough that we didn't bother. FYI, there's more drill in Level D, and drill in E as well.

My 7 year old who is currently in Level B will *need* the games. And the games are really great, if you need them. They're less painful than drill, more engaging for the kids. I, personally, hate to sit down and play them, but they do work.

It's an excellent program. FWIW I use it alongside Singapore Math. Sometimes we need a break from RS so we do the Singapore. The Singapore gives extra practice. I consider RS to be our main program at this point, and let the concepts be introduced there, rather than in Singapore.

We completed level A and are midway through Level B and so far we love it. I especially like the way it has you think about problems in many different ways. For example, we were studying money and pennies, nickels and dimes. We made a chart with all the different combinations of those coins to add up to 27 cents. Now we are adding the different numbers under 10 to add up to either 5, 10, 15, or 20. This creativity in manipulating the numbers is helping ds understand math very well. I can see, day to day, improvements in the way he thinks to solve the problems.

If you join the Yahoo RightStart group, they have some files with posts people have written comparing RightStart to other math programs that might be helpful to read along with the discussion in the group itself.

We are mid-way through C for ds and most of the way through B for dd. It does move a bit fast at times for my ds, so I slow down and make worksheets or work on games etc. Right now we need more practice so I'm trying to work on that. My dd catches onto concepts with ease, so I have no problems with her. It is a great program, and while I find that ds needs more practice than RS gives, I will stick with it, because I think the foundation is awesome.

You're going to love RightStart for K5! It's so much fun, and the emphasis on working together is perfect for that age where they aren't ready to write a lot. You're going to play games, use manipulatives. What a great year! I was just thinking yesterday how I'd buy A and B again (I sold them a while back) if I ever needed them...

A and B are definitely my favorite levels. Like the others have said, I think every dc is different in how they interact with the upper levels, how much drill they need. My dd is very visual and the games, which would probably help an auditory dc, didn't really help her memorize facts. I ended up switching to BJU math (very heavy on the visual, with colorful worksheets, diagrams, etc.) and we're moving along quite happily. We went from the middle of D to doing BJU3 and BJU 4 parallel. The BJU3 is getting her facts fast and the BJU4 is where she was conceptually. She should finish the BJU3 in two weeks and then she'll just do BJU4 the rest of the year. Because I've done so much RS, I feel very comfortable presenting the BJU pages the RS-way. Her conceptual understanding is very strong, which I'm happy about. You can see the wheels churning because she's used to having to THINK. For us, we had hit a wall, needing practice, more visual pleasantries, etc. all in one place. BJU gives us that and flows really well with the way RS approaches things. It's been a really good transition, once we figured out what level and how to do it, just in case you're wondering how it would go when you finish the RS sequence.

BTW, I own level E and have thought about taking her through it, because there are certain things in it I really like. I have the RS Geometry and will let her do that sometime too, maybe when I need math to be independent for a season. She's very artistic and would love it.

You know, if you like the samples you've seen online, you're going to like RS. It's exactly like the samples. Levels A and B are a ton of fun. If you start with Level A, you can buy the starter kit. Now they also have a pack for just like $5 that has all the reproducibles already done for you, very convenient. It's minimal prep, interactive, tons of fun. You just can't go wrong with it.