Menu

Does anyone else get dizzy from reading aloud to the dc?

Someone once posted something about why we yawn when we read aloud - we're not breathing correctly and taking in enough oxygen! The lack of oxygen makes us sleepy, I believe is what was said. I wonder if that may be your problem with the dizziness? I find I do better if I'm sitting up straight.

Lie down and relax. Close your eyes. Imagine a peaceful scene - look at all the details and describe them in your head. Try to spend a good while doing this.

When you are done, start to be aware of your breathing. If you've managed to relax properly, you will find that your breathing is largely in your abdomen - your rib cage is barely moving. This is proper, relaxed breathing.

When we snatch breaths while reading, we tend to take them from the top of our lungs - our ribs jump and we take a gulp of air. Your lung capacity in fact extends downwards, below your rib-cage, to where your diaphragm's movement expands your lungs.

When you are reading, try to breathe deeply into your abdomen/diaphragm, so that you are getting enough air.

Best wishes

Laura (BA 1st class honours in French and Drama)

I agree with the others -- it's a matter of breathing. When you do what Laura suggests and lie on your back, relaxed, breathing, place your hands on your belly (either side of your navel) and feel the movement as you breathe. All of the movement should be down there -- not in your ribcage or in your shoulders. Once you've got a good handle on how it feels, sit up straight -- perhaps tailor-style on the floor -- shoulders relaxed, back straight and not slumped. Feel the same type of breathing like that... Now read. Slowly. Take time to breathe. You're undoubtedly reading faster than you realize, and slowing down won't interrupt the flow of the story. Take real breaths when you need them -- especially at the ends of sentences and between paragraphs.

You're probably taking in short gasps of breath and going too quickly. It's almost like blowing up a raft -- you're expending a *lot* of air and just drawing in the minimum to get by as quickly as you can. And you're experiencing the same light-headedness you'd get from blowing up a raft or a large balloon.

Practice though -- you really can change those habits.