Menu

why 'vocab from classical roots' instead of 'english from the roots up'?

ubermomto5

trying to decide which to use for my upcoming 7th grader and wondering what the difference is? their descriptions sound similar but as i looked quickly through the books at our local hs store the 'english from the roots' looked a lot more appealing to me. any ideas for me?

I have used both & prefer English from the Roots Up because there is little teacher prep and the content is great. English from the Roots Up has more basic information and requires a lot of teacher interaction.
:confused: Which one do you mean for which statement?

trying to decide which to use for my upcoming 7th grader and wondering what the difference is? their descriptions sound similar but as i looked quickly through the books at our local hs store the 'english from the roots' looked a lot more appealing to me. any ideas for me?
I haven't used English from the Roots Up, so I don't know. I was going to use Vocabulary From classical Roots, but I found Vocabu-Lit, which looked interesting to both dd and to me, so we are trying the 7th grade book. http://www.perfectionlearning.com/browse.php?categoryID=1492 Edited by Brindee

I have used both & prefer English from the Roots Up because there is little teacher prep and the content is great. English from the Roots Up has more basic information and requires a lot of teacher interaction.

I think she meant Vocabulary from Classical Roots in the first statement. These are the same reasons that I chose VFCR for this coming school year. EFTRU looks slightly teacher intensive, while VFCR is leaning more towards independence for the student.

The way the child learns best (imho) with EFTRU is making their own cards. I did it last year where the word would be on a dry erase board for the day with 3 words that use it (like they show in the book).... then my OLDER child would have to come up with another word to put on his card. Total time for the class...... 10-15 minutes and it was a "freebie class" as I would do the word early on in the day and they just had to make their card by the end of the day. Every 10-15 words I would make up a small quiz just to see if they remembered anything and they did remember a lot just from the making of the cards.

I have an almost 3rd grader just turning 8 today that does EFRU quite independently. I show her the words I want her to do, we discuss the meaning and 2-3 derivatives (for her age, just the simpler ones). I show her the pre-made flashcard and check mark the words she is to use. This takes all of 5 minutes, then I leave her to make the card. We usually aim to do 2 cards each session, 1-2 times per week. I'm in no hurry with it at her age and she is really soaking in the words well with the program and pace.

I have an almost 3rd grader just turning 8 today that does EFRU quite independently. I show her the words I want her to do, we discuss the meaning and 2-3 derivatives (for her age, just the simpler ones). I show her the pre-made flashcard and check mark the words she is to use. This takes all of 5 minutes, then I leave her to make the card. We usually aim to do 2 cards each session, 1-2 times per week. I'm in no hurry with it at her age and she is really soaking in the words well with the program and pace.

Interesting! Good idea.

:lurk5:

We're using EFTRU right now. A two to five minute chat about the new word is all the teacher prep it takes in my house. I write the new word on a card, talk about the list of derivatives, then ds does the rest.

A more experienced hser I know said she reviews the stack of cards over brekkie. That's all she does with it, but her kids pick it up easily enough.

I think she meant Vocabulary from Classical Roots in the first statement. These are the same reasons that I chose VFCR for this coming school year. EFTRU looks slightly teacher intensive, while VFCR is leaning more towards independence for the student.

Yes, that's what I meant - sorry for the confusion.

I purchased the English from the Roots Up cards and didn't buy the book. What do I do next? I don't know if the book has some great ideas other than making your own cards. Anyway, I thought the cards would be sufficient, but I haven't figured out how to make the most of the cards. So far, we're reading them and the kids have made an alphabetical notebook that they list the roots in as we study. I love to hear how others are using them and curious whether I should try VFTCR instead or does anyone use both?

I also prefer the workbook format of VFCR because I find it easier to use, and I like the wider variety of activities as opposed to just making vocabulary cards.

Jackie

:iagree: I have used VFCR for my first three and will continue to use it with my next three.